1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry the detective/auror?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by The Mysterious Nobody, Sep 9, 2009.

1. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I'm looking for noir/crime fanfiction set in the Wizarding World. According to canon, Harry becomes an Auror, and despite a few notable exceptions, I have yet to see a fic exploring and exploiting that concept.

I just finished the "Millennium trilogy" and it wasn't as satisfying as I hoped, and most importantly, it didn't give me my weekly fix of noir/crime genre. It's this, or re-reading all Sherlock Holmes' and Agatha Christie's novels again (and I'll probably do that anyway).

So, do you know about any story like that? I don't care if it's canon, after the Deathly Hallows, or an Alternative Universe. Just an interesting plot involving Harry, a crime in the Wizarding World and an investigation.

2. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

not Harry centered, here's a good auror/detective fic:

Nymphadora Tonks and the Liquor of Jacmel » by SnorkackCatcher reviews Newly qualified Auror Nymphadora Tonks puts her Metamorphmagus talents to good use on her first case when investigating the trade in a highly dangerous potion, while dealing with the complications caused by her very Black family history ...Complete - Harry Potter - Rated: T - English - Mystery/Adventure - Chapters: 29 - Words: 279,130 - Reviews: 32 - Updated: 7-18-07 - Published: 3-11-07 - N. Tonks & Kingsley S.

3. Sirius Issues

Sirius Issues First Year

Two that stand out from memory, but are no where near decent enough are the Resolution/Revolution Trilogy thing which is Harry training to be an auror with Guardian/Mentor Snape (yuck) which has some Harry/Tonks interaction. The second is the Cygnus Crux Trilogy plus one off's. Based around a super police force Harry with magical machines. It is also Harry/Ginny.

4. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I finished the Tonks' one. Was pretty good. I'll look if t's in the library to put it in for review.

Anyway, no more stories?

5. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

It is. Filler.

6. phoenix_rage

phoenix_rage First Year

I remember reading a One-Shot having Auror Harry. He was the warden of Azkaban, some psycho took over the prison and set up a sick game challenging Harry to reach the control room before sunrise (or was it midnight, I don't remember clearly). He and his Aurors had to face a lot of adversities including mad prisoners, imprisoned death eaters and twisted mind games. It definitely didn't have any crime investigation, but the plot did have a nice suspense. Does anyone know this fic?

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
  8. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Yeah. It's currently on my HDD, being written >_>

A short novel, noir/crime, 30k - 50k words, ETA (hopefully) still this year. I'm gonna finish it, before I think about posting it. In my mind, the concept is awesome, but it might turn out crap after all, and if it doesn't, I'll have fix update rates for once. Month-long gaps between chapters would kill this type of story, anyway.

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Heh. My Dresden crossover, "Lost Soul" was intended to do this too, but I really need to reread Dresden before I continue with that one.

It's been ages since I read it, but I recall hmwimsy's Coven of Echoes was a fairly dark detective novel with an Auror Harry. If you can stomach a Harry/Ginny pairing, it's one of the better ones.

10. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Then get to reading, because I read that last night and it was fucking awesome.

11. phoenix_rage

phoenix_rage First Year

That's the one, Thanks.

12. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Heather Sinclairs Gentleman Usher of the Scarlet Rod

13. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Not really what they're talking about. You're right in that Harry's nominally an Auror, but it's not the mystery/crime that they're looking for.

14. phoenix_rage

phoenix_rage First Year

I read this This a long time ago, from what I can remember the beginning was pretty decent and had some mystery but the story was a let off as the plot progressed (in my opinion, its in the library though). It's not exactly a crime mystery but I think the story began with Harry investigating killings which the unspeakables were trying to cover up.