1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry's Island Home​ by DireSquirrel​

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Lindsey, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Title: Harry's Island Home
    Author: DireSquirrel
    Genre: Adventure, Humor, Crack
    DLP-Category: Humor / General
    Chapters: 40
    Pairing: No Pairing as of yet.
    Summary: Ever since Harry Potter was a child, he has wanted a place to escape, his own private island away from everything. When he loses his list of all things he wants on the island in Diagon Alley, the patrons decide to thank him by creating the island using magic. Of course, in the Wizarding World, magic and logic have a lovely way of going wrong and shenanigans ensue.

Link: https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...tter-that-flies-off-the-rails-quickly.325447/

Edit by Minion: Moved here from Almost recommended.
    Could someone come up with a summary and the pairing, if there is one?

Dark Syaoran: Updated chapter count.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2015
  2. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

This is great though I would call it a light comedy than crack. A gimmick story done right.

Edit: Ok, I take that back. It's crack:)

3. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Moved here from Almost Recommended as this story really deserves its own thread.

4. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

This story is glorious. 4/5 so far.

5. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

Besides the first chapter does Harry appear in the story? I`m up to 6 and its all about the shopkeepers

6. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Yes Harry does return. This is an excellent story and I had just assumed it had already been reviewed. Diresquirrel captures a lot of the whimsy of the earlier books and its nice to read such a lighthearted story. 5/5

7. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Can we go back to the default colors? Bright yellow on bright blue is illegible.

8. Photon

Photon Order Member

9. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

LOL - just for you and your weird... preferences...

10. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

It's a great time waster, but it falls on the trap that most decent to goodish fanfic writers fall, trying to write somethig serious without understanding what makes it work, there is no conflict and yet it refuses to keep a lighthearted theme, trying to bit much more than it can chew.

It keeps repeating things, again and again, the worst offender is how mistreated by the Dursleys, without any necessity, bam, it just appears. It also tried to use too many plots at the same time, without developing them. And there is the usual fix it all!!! vibe and attempts.

All in all a solid 3.5/5, solid good work but without the quality to be Library material.

11. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

I liked it and the lack of conflict -- though perhaps a problem for some -- is fine too. This story reminds me of some of those old empire builder games like Pharao; no wars or battles at all, but just relaxed building of cities and empires.

4/5

12. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The opening of the story is interesting, but quickly becomes monotonous with the shopkeepers putting the island together.

Didn't finish the story, every chapter felt the same. Feels like it would be more well suited to a one-shot then a longer length fic.

3/5. Writing is good quality, story failed to hold my interest.

13. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

I definitely agree that the bit where the shopkeepers build the island gets really tedious. But when Harry (finally!) gets the island back it starts to pick up. Sadly it takes WAY too long for that. Characterization can be a bit off in places — I'm not a fan of how Dumbledore is portrayed in particular — but overall I think it's above average. Would be better with some editing and trimming.

Since it's only just gotten "interesting" I'm going to hold off giving a final rating, but right now it's in the 3-4 out of 5 range.

14. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I think the minutia of actually building the thing is what sells it. If Harry would have just gotten a magic amulet that turns into an island it would just feel like a cheap plot device. The actual effort that goes into it is what makes it plausible. Even if the whole process is a bit happy go lucky.

15. Charlesnaismith

Charlesnaismith First Year

This was fun. I think the main character is the Island.
    4/5

16. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It's a bit pointless, but surprisingly good. And completely different from any HP fanfiction I've read before.

I don't know why I like it, but I really do. Solid 4/5.

17. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Moved this back into For Review since it has 4 stars. I'll leave it here for a week and then place it into a category if it retains it.

18. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Huh. 16 Chapters in and I want to keep reading. That's a fantastic sign these days.

It slows down from time to time and I find myself jumping forward to the next bit that hooks me... but all in all, it's not bad. Breezy. Takes the idea of the expandable trunk and blows it up into something absurd and unrecognizable. I am amused by the Narcissa substory even if I probably shouldn't be.

Good timewaster. The communal rating at time of this post is 3.53, which is probably spot-on. I will round up to 4 stars.

19. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

It's crackish, but I really enjoyed it. I ended up reading all the way through to the end. I'd say I'll round it up to a four, mainly because it was so enjoyable.

20. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

I've read it 2 or 3 times since it was more or less abandoned. It's just pure fun.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017