1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete He Who Fights Monsters by hawker-748 - M - Rosario+Vampire

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by oakes, Oct 4, 2011.

1. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Title: He Who Fights Monsters
    Author: hawker-748
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/General
    Fandom: Rosario+Vampire
    Published: Apr 27, 2011
    Updated: Dec 6, 2012
    Words: 93,163
    Pairing: Tsukune/Keito
    Summary: Tsukune Aono. An ordinary human in a dangerous place. When your life's on the line, there's nothing that you won't do to survive.

Link: www.fanfiction.net/s/6942921/1/He_Who_Fights_Monsters

When you read the summary it looks like many RV stroies out there, meaning utter bullshit. But I can easily say that, there hasn't been even one story like this ever written in this category.

The stroy's main focus is the underlined part and its absolutley refreshing, not reading a poorly done harem or bash fic.

Its an alternate story where Moka didn't run him over with her bicycle, or other female characters didn't flock to him, because of his unassuming, wimpyass personality.

(Checked by Palindrome - 14/04/16)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2016
  2. Kraken

Kraken Sixth Year

I've been following this for a while. Yeah it's sort of a deconstruction of RV in that you see how far a human will go to survive in a totally alien and hostile environment (or at least it is from Tsukune's perspective). Absolutely no harem hijinks at all which is a relief. Overall, a fairly decent story with a lot of promise. 4/5 from me.

3. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Not bad. This is ending up as a halfway decent fic. I'd like to see more protagonists, as the Tsukune-vs-everyone direction this is heading could get old quick with him having little real way to fight back, not that it's actually holding him back.

Decent story with an ok story arc, but nothing truly riveting. 4/5.

4. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I rather liked it. As DrSarcasm said, Tsukune vs. the world could get old fast, but for what it is, I'm enjoying it so far.

4/5.

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I enjoyed reading this.

Most stories from R+V can basically be broken down into points that have been repeated thousands upon thousands of times. This was very refreshing, as ocsummers said. My only knit pick is how things have 'ended' with Keito. You'd think she'd have wanted to keep a closer eye on him.

6. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I don't think it actually HAS ended yet.

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Hence the ''.

8. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

I read the manga, but never any fics for this series. Probably a good desicion, based on what's been said. But this fic was pretty good. The best character in the manga had a similar backstory, and I'm curious to see if Tsukune ends up interacting with or becoming someone like him. Definitely one to watch.

Though now I feel a bit nostalgic for the manga. Might give it another read.

9. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I should warn you; last few releases were not really good.

10. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Wow, thank you for bringing this story up, ocsummers. I have not really been reading many new stories, lately, as opposed to reading updates on continuing stories. This was a nice diversion though, and an intriguing observation of survivor-in-an-antagonistic-environment version of the story's source material.

11. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

I liked this story... I've never really been a fan of the series (the harem gets silly) and outside of a couple Naruto crossover fics that are kicking around I've been disapointed with the FF it's generated, but this one really takes advantage of the enviroment and gives a unique dialogue/twist.

12. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I haven't read Rosario + Vampire [I read Wikipedia's entry and browsed http://rosariovampire.wikia.com ], but this fic is outstanding. I care about these characters. Tsukune's fear and desperation is palpable. I can relate to his emotions easily.

Good find. 5/5.

13. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Feel bad for Kurumu though. She was my favorite of the girls, also the one with most character growth IMO.

14. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I tried the series (anime) and dropped it, but just read this fic a few days ago.

Pretty interesting concept and well written. It would have been very easy for the author to simply make him the villain in all this, but I love the way he's portrayed as almost more of a monster than the people he's terrified of.

4.5/5.

15. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I love this story. My favorite in the RV category. Tsukune's growth seems realistic and not more of a super man overnight kinda thing that most fics give a badass Tsukune. Also this kinda reminds me of I am Legend in that Tsukune is become the thing that the monster fear instead of the other way around.

16. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I tried the RV manga a long time back and dropped it after the first couple of chapters. It's... not impressive.

But this shit, this shit is awesome. Keichi's viewpoint is interesting and has the potential to become a true deconstruction of the CuteMonsterGirl! genre. Though till now the fic only has an interesting premise and merely above average execution, my hopes for its future behooves me to grant it a 4/5.

17. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Updated, and it was awesome.

18. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Damn good chapter, but I'm really hoping that this is a transition past "Kill someone different each chapter" as it does feel like a bit of a turning point

19. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Uh, holy shit. Fuck but did it update.

At this point, you have to give him credit - Gotta respect an author who doesn't mind
    killing off the main love interest

20. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm pretty sure that we kill Ginny 9 times out of 10 around these parts.