1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete He Who Fights Monsters by hawker-748 - M - Rosario+Vampire

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by oakes, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreed. Let's see Tsukune eat some fuckers.

Also, as far as I know, Mizore is still alive and kicking. I'm thinking yandere fight between her and Keito.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  2. Deadsomeone

Deadsomeone Third Year

I agree, I was sort of hoping that the whole killing a vampire thing would begin to show some repercussions by now. Though now that Tsukune has had things going well for him, when the shit hits the fan it will be all the more spectacular.

I agree a fight between Mizore and Keito over Tsukune's affections would be interesting, even though it will probably end with someone's guts all over the floor. Or in someone's stomach.

I can't help but wonder if this chapter was supposed to set up some sort of future conflict with the principal, manipulative bastard that he is.

3. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

It's the calm; setting up all his pieces so someone can flip the table. Incredibly enjoyable to read of course, I was exceptionally excited when I saw this had updated.

4. KillerEggLord

KillerEggLord Third Year

I can't wait to see how he kills Keito. Its going to be epic.

yak
  5. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Yup. Once Moka's sisters catch wind of her death, holy shit is he going to be deep in it.

6. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

These last two chapters have been too quiet, I think we should start making a list of all the people that want Tsukune's head on a pike.

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I expect him to receive a package from the Shuzen family containing his parents' severed heads any time now tbh.

8. Lamora

High Score:
    Agreed. We need a reason for Tsukune to have a vendetta against the Fairy Tale side of things, because most of the series material is in that direction.

I mean, while the author has been shown to be ready and able to create delicious original content, it'll make it easier and hence more likely for him to continue on if he can work within an already built framework. I welcome the author to prove me wrong, however.

Also, I want to see Tsukune continue down the Van Helsingesque path he's on. If he takes the vampire pill I will be severely disappointed. Fuck their weird Kryptonian sue-ishness, Tsukune - fuck yeah humanity.

9. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Just re-read the whole story and noticed a Mirrai Nikki reference in chapter three, Yuno Gasai the golem. Probably old news to most; thought it would be slightly amusing to anyone else who may have missed it.

10. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

I was really impressed by how smoothly the author transition into Tsukune rejected his humanity. Most of the time in fanfiction it's either sudden, wtf just happened to make this character so OOC, or so over the top built up that it's pretty ridiculous. The snapshot of him home over break really highlights the change in characterization very clearly, and it doesn't catch you off guard. It's more of a realization of how far he has fallen in slips and stumbles.

Props to the author for the great characterization. I'm really looking forward to an eventual reveal to the monsters of how they have created a true Van Helsing, who knows their behaviors and can somehow survive and even thrive among them.

11. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The scene with the headmaster was a pretty important, crucial scene in the story, but it was outlandishly amateurish. :/ That's a huge revelation, but it received zero buildup, the headmaster barely made any impression, and Tsukune's ragey dialogue hearkened to the worst of Indy!Harry conversations with Dumbledore. What gives?

12. Hello

Hello Professor

There is no way to pull a middle road in that scene without ripping characterization to pieces. The Tsukune he has formed would not let the idea slide that he was deliberately placed in harm's way without an extremely explosive reaction. While on the other hand if Tsukune attacked the headmaster his life would probably be over in a heartbeat or two. So there is a problem, specifically that if hawker actually goes through with what he has created Tsukune should be a smudge on the floor by the end of that conversation.

It seems like he chose to go the purely verbal way in order to try to get across that Tsukune is "angry" without a fight. However this causes the problems you pointed out, noticeably that it is a hamfisted, terrible, idiotic dialogue that somehow tries to make them seem like equals. Sure Tsukune killed a vampire and now he is some kind of badass, but he is human. The headmaster knows this, and he is not the type to take threats from idiots, for which Tsukune qualifies in this scene. Tsukune is not on the same level as the headmaster, or any of the vampires, or even most of the monsters he fought. The only time he ever fought on the monster's level would be the fight with Saizo and he almost got killed before he played on Saizo's pride. This leads me to feel that this scene needs to be reworked to better fit the idea that Tsukune is biting off more than he can chew by throwing an understandable, but stupid, tantrum.

Oh and there a few characterization problems he is having with Keito-Tsukune as well.

13. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah I got that feel too.

Really, it would have been better if Tsukune's anger was apparent, but a bit more consciously restrained (out of self-preservation). Was just that tiny bit over the top.

I also thought the whole aspect of his mother picking up on him seeming different, and harder, just got glossed over in the end.

yak
  14. Lamora

High Score:
    Part of me worries that this has always been a curbstomp fic and I've just been too overjoyed with the original interpretation and good writing to see it. I mean, he's already managed to
    kill off most of the main cast: Moka, Kurumu, now Ruby in this latest chapter, if anyone missed the news report near the beginning

There's nothing wrong with a curbstomp fic done well of course, as per rule number zero of writing (That if you write it well, there are no cliches), but I feel this latest altercation with Mikogami has it veering off that path. There is always a way to write it well, I feel, and how it was written did not satisfy that requirement, I feel.

15. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

While I agree the headmaster scene was hamfisted at best, it's a hard scene to write. I think the main reason is that nobody comes off well. I don't mean that a character has to be correct; both can be in the wrong. They just feel like they're both shouting for the sake of shouting and being angry. I have no clue how I'd fix it though. Hell, I'm not even sure if the scene is needed; why would you confront Tsukune with your grand plan instead of taking steps behind the scenes to fix it?

16. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

I'm pretty sure he went with the anime side of the story and didn't even bother with the manga. Had he used the manga as his setting I'm pretty sure we would have seen some Hokuto, or he would have at least been approached by ANTI-THESIS after what he did to Saizou.

17. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I've loved this fic since I first started reading it. Others have voiced my concerns, about the Headmaster and lack of conflict, so I'll leave those aside. Others have also said where it could go next, and of that I'm not sure.

The question is not whether or not whose ass he kicks or whatever Fairy Tail comes after him. That is not what the core of this fic has been. The core of this fic has been Tsukune slowly changing from a human to a monster, and everything else has just been icing on the cake really. Really, really, good icing nonetheless.

The question remains not what comes after him next, but where does his character go from here? Will he begin to enjoy the killing? Will he fight to no longer feel afraid? Will he slowly lose it and go Van-Helsing on everything?

If his character remains static after this point(which I think as been the focus to show the reader what he had become), then I think this fic will become a shadow of itself.

That said, at this point I'm giving it a solid 5/5. If the main character remains static, and the writing and plot stayed the same quality, I'd instead give it a 4/5.

18. Deadsomeone

Deadsomeone Third Year

True and that's what's going to make this all the more interesting. What kind of situation is it going to take to make Tsukune more aggressive in insuring his survival, instead of dimply being reactive. Because that's all he really been doing; reacting to threats on his person and changing physically and mentally accordingly. Now that he's reached this plateau(top of the food chain, girlfriend, friend), I feel that it will take something as of yet unseen to kick him into going Van Helsing. What ever it is will make for good reading, made all the more awesome by Tsukune falling deeper into the pit.

19. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Rather than Tsukune being a proactive action hero, I'd like to see him driven to the point of madness and beyond. Far enough that the reader is horrified at what Tsukune's become. Killing Keito, feeding a human to their dozens of spider/human hatchling babies, or perhaps even massacring his own infant children.

20. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Nope. I want something to happen but I like the female character in this story. Do you know how rare that is? I don't want random death.