1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Hearthstone thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Oz, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

can someone explain to me why I would play this over magic?

2. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Soooo, what do I have to do to get that key from you?

3. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Personally can't stand Trump. Not that I don't think he's a good player (though I wish he fielded more taunt) but I don't find him particularly engaging or interesting to watch.

I'm a fan of Kripp. Mostly due to POE, but I just kept watching when he played Hearthstone.

Not in closed beta, despite my best attempts. But open beta is right around the corner and I'm pretty excited.

4. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

My problem with Kripp was, that he blamed almost every loss on bad luck and "topdecking". At least when I was watching him.
    Trump rarely does that and generally acknowledges his own mistakes more. He also regularly explains his thinking on drafting and why he plays X instead of Y in this particular situation. There also used to be relaxing piano music, but not anymore. :(

Ek0p on the other hand just enjoys being offensive. Can't watch that guy.

Hafu seems fine, but it feels like half the chat watches because she's a pretty girl, which makes it sort of awkward. I don't blame her at all though.

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

It sounds like a free version of MTGO without ass graphics and kindergarten mechanics.

6. Avierh

Avierh First Year

It's free. It's just basically a more casual card game where you don't get mana screwed or take a huge amount of time to finish a game. You can just log on, play a game or two for a half an hour and then go to work.

7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

You know when you also don't get mana screwed or take a huge amount of time? When you aggro. Which you always should. :awesome

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

lol yeah, you can get like 10 games in playing RDW in 30 minutes, and all you need is 2 mountains

9. theronin

theronin Order Member

Super aggro decks are all the rage in hearthstone these days too. Well, that and mage decks, but warlock + lots of cheap cards seems to be the way to go.

10. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I think the sad thing there is that Hafu is actually a fantastic gamer, and yet even she admits that a large portion of her viewership is there simply because she's a girl.

--

Really, at this point I just want to get into Hearthstone because I'm so damn tired of Scrolls.

There just isn't enough deck variation in Scrolls. Play Order? Mass creatures with synergy. Play Energy? Structures much? Play Growth? Kinfolk Veteran... all the fucking time. Play Decay? Half OP, half underpowered, super awkward decks. Even the new mode "Judgement" *cough*Arena*cough* is just meh.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed Scrolls. But the lack of variation is killing me.

I need Hearthstone in my life.

11. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Welp, I'm having fun so far.

12. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Yeah it's super great, I've got all the basic mage and priest cards. Probably I'll get all of the basic cards for each class (takes about 13 games / class to get all of them) to get a feel for them then try out the arena some.

13. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

I've enjoyed it so far, but I'm not sure how much depth the game has compared to Magic. Deckbuilding (and drafting in the arena) seems a lot simpler due to the classes, and I've had a few games that I played entirely on autopilot with zero decisions that took any thought. Of course, I've only made it up to Gold and am still playing with mostly Basic cards, so maybe that'll change as I play more.

14. theronin

theronin Order Member

Well it's obviously years and years behind magic in terms of number of cards and variety of interactions, so I doubt anyone expects it to be as deep. Given that they are trying to appeal to a casual audience, it will probably never be as complex as magic, but time will tell. Still a good way to pass some time for me, so whatever.

15. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I lost 4 games in a row to the fucking ZooDeck that all the hunters run and it makes me madsad

16. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Even if hearthstone has only half (or less, whatever) the complexity of magic, that is still a lot of space for complex systems and interactions.

For a player with a lot of previous tcg exp it will probably take a while for the system to match you up with similarly skilled players.

17. theronin

theronin Order Member

Wait which zoo deck? There are only 2 hunter decks I've seen recently, the OTK unleash the hounds deck, and the one with a million secrets that never lets you play a minion.

18. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

OTK. Drop every 1-2 beast and 1 turn kill

19. TSN

TSN Auror

If one of you got a additional key. give it to me whenever. damN I want to play. I got addcietd when I stole my best friend account for a few day.

20. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Heh, I just used some twitter gimmick hoping to score a key.

But if one of you has a key to spare, I'd be happy to take it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013