1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Hearthstone thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Oz, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

BTW, a nifty website I've found for sample decks is: Managrind.

The website owners hosts weekly tournaments and it's informative to see the winning deck compositions.

2. theronin

theronin Order Member

Yea, only problem with decklists is that they tend to rely heavily on cards that are rare and expensive to craft. The best bet for newer players is probably aggro mage, since it doesn't rely on any legendaries and the only critical epic is the pyroblasts. Most of the core cards of the deck are common, which is really nice.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Got a 4-3 on Arena today.

<_<

>_>

Stop laughing, it's a personal record!

4. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

That matches my record! (Although I've only done Arena twice).

And for the decklists, I tend to plug the epic card gaps with substitutes. Seeing as how a player will only have 1 copy of a legendary, there will be many games when they don't even get the opportunity to play them. Heck, the best counter I've found for priests is to not play any card that is too spectacular. Many priests will just sit on their Mind Controls waiting for a better card.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  5. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

I think five flamestrikes is where I'd start to consider taking other cards over it. Losing when you draw multiple flamestrikes every game pretty much requires an absurd blowout before you hit 7 mana.

6. theronin

theronin Order Member

So I think I might have overdrafted on Temple Enforcers.... My current deck:

1 - Holy Smite, 2x Power Word: Shield, Elven Archer, Leper Gnome
    2 - SW: Pain, Amani Beserker, Bloodfen Raptor, Dire Wolf, Knife Juggler, Kobold Geomancer
    3 - SW: Death, Harvest Golem, Injured Blademaster, Ironforged Rifleman, RaidLeader, Wolfrider
    4 - 2x Yeti, Cult Master
    5 - Holy Nova, Faceless Manipulator
    6 - Boulderfist Ogre, Sunwalker, 5x Temple Enforcer
    8 - Mind Control

I am gonna be surprised if this manages more than 5 wins. How to not draft 101.

Edit: As expected, 2-3. Don't draft like an idiot.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  7. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    -Choose Mage in Arena.
    -Not a single Flamestrike was given that day.
    -Cry.

8. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

I was pally and drafted 4 truesilver champions. I went 8-3, it was great.

9. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    And I just lost an arena match because three of my cards were stacked on top of each other and I could only select the bottom one. FML.

10. theronin

theronin Order Member

Hate that bug. I had a similar game where my minion positioning would randomly shift around so I couldn't tell what was where. Ended up playing both a flametongue totem and defender of argus in the wrong position and losing because of it.

11. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

My fiancee got me a beta key, so I'm in and I'm loving this game. Yay!

However, I rather suck at arena. Boo...

I'm running with a hunter deck, straight up beasts. I managed to pull a King Krush from my very first pack. He's an 8/8 for 9 mana with charge.

I wonder if I've played any of you...

12. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Gimme your nick, Puppet.

You're a bastard though. King krush on first pack? I had to play four arena matches before I even got a measly Hyena.

13. theronin

theronin Order Member

Nice RNG. I am still trying to refine a couple of decks so if any of you have decks you want to test out I'd love the extra practice. Epics cost too much dust :(

14. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Got into the beta today, finally, so I'm guessing it's going public very soon, or they're just handing out invites like crazy till they announce it goes open.

Did 2 Arena runs, and, well, I got the amazing choice of Hunter, Warrior or Warlock both times. My Warrior went 0-3 and my Hunter 1-3 so not exactly the best beginning to my Arena efforts.

Sadly getting 2 of what're imo the weakest Arena classes currently on top of awful drafts wasn't great. I had 0 taunts come up in my Warrior draft and my Hunter draft refused to give me anything useful early game so I got shit on - Hell, I bumped into the same Paladin twice and both games he had a turn 7 Gruul. I meanwhile struggled to draw any of the 8 beasts in my deck to make my Houndmasters useful, so... A very rough start if nothing else.

TLDR; RNG fucked my ass with a rusty spade.

15. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or you could have lost because you're actually valuing taunt as something useful to have. :awesome

And going for "beast synergy" with arena hunter decks more often than not results in bad decks, because you just aren't guaranteed to get the right mix. It's nearly always better to avoid beasts and just grab good cards in general.

While both of those are true, it's also likely that you just randomly got lucky!

16. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Regarding the invite thing, I managed to get my battle.net account sorted out maybe 2 days ago, the day before I was invited as their e-mail support got back to me, I sent the info they wanted... and then they never replied or fixed the problem. Either way I eventually managed to find what was probably the most obvious and easiest fix in my life just through reading. My own fault for rushing around trying to solve it before going to a wedding of all things.

Anyway - Yeah, the beast synergy problem came from me having a couple of animal companions and then nothing till 5+ outside a lone timber wolf, that draft was terrible. Taunt felt like it was needed otherwise I'd just be playing a minion for it to get trashed the next turn ad infinitum till I lost.

Didn't work out either way, I'd like to say the draft cost me more than how I played but there were plenty of mistakes that I made a note of. Still, it's Arena, in a luck based game that I'll play in downtime so it's all good. Just happy to have gotten in before it goes fully open. That and beat my brother into a beta to something for once.

17. KaiDASH

Taunt is an ok effect, it's just that almost all creeps with taunt have very subpar stats.

taz dingo is more or less the only neutral taunter that doesn't have bad stats, and he is very good.

Warrior in arena kind of relies on getting 2+ fiery war axe and 2+ arcanite reapers. If you do, then you'll have a pretty decent run.

Warlock is pretty strong in arena too, if only because of how amazing life tap is when you're running 18 1+2 drops. (blood imps are good too)

18. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    For some reason I always run into Warlocks (and their fucking Blood Imps) when I don't have any AOE board clear. FFS.

19. KaiDASH

Is anyone still out for a filthy American hearthstone beta key? Blizz just emailed me one, and I figured I would offer it here first.

e:taken

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  20. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yay, a beta key! First from Blizzard in my life. Guess they are indeed handing them out like candy.

Pretty fun, went 5-3 in my first arena on a mage. Lost to a paladin when both of us were out of cards :s Should have just burned him instead of his minions!

I wonder how far I can get without using any real money? Two quests per day is really shitty, I can't spam arena with that! Dunno what I should be doing really, slowly grind to make that one deck for constructed and go diamond? Guess I'll need to read some gold-making guides. For a fucking card game. Way to go, Blizzard.