1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Specific Game Search

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Ched, May 5, 2016.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I was going to explain the story & reasoning behind this request, but it's actually a bit convoluted to get into all the details of why.

I'm looking for a game with the following characteristics:

1. RPG of some kind. Can be turn-based, action based, whatever.
    2. Online Co-op. Not MMO. Not local co-op. Preferably for 4 players. Example would be Borderlands.
    3. Absolutely no animals of any kind may be harmed during the game. No attack dogs that you have to kill. No mutated monster dogs that you have put out of their misery. No demonic hounds twisted by dark magic. No harming of animals, period.
    4. Available on Steam.
    The first two criteria are easy enough to sort by on a site like SteamDB. But #3? That's what's tripping me up. The Borderlands franchise fails there, because there are animals. Shadowrun fails b/c there are animals. Damn near every game I've played has, at some point, had an animal as an enemy in it.

Anyone played Victor Vran and can comment about the presence or lack of animals? What about Magicka? Are there any games where you just kill people, or aliens, or magical beings of darkness?

Thanks!

Edit: Rec from IRC - Alien Swarm

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  2. chriar

chriar Third Year

If I remember correctly Magicka doesn't have animals, but its been a while. I think Victor Vran has animals, I didn't play it but remember seeing some in Totalbiscuit's video.

3. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

At what point do your enemies stop being animals? If they're shaped to look like a dog but make from shadows does that still count as animals? Where's the line between human and dog? Do you mean no mammals besides humans or are other phyla a no go as well?

4. Ched

To be honest I'm not entirely sure how he is going to define it. I know that demonic and/or cyber dogs in Shadowrun were an issue. I think it's going to depend largely on how it 'feels' to him.

If you look at it and say to yourself, "that enemy is a dog," then it probably counts. Even if it's made from shadows. But if your first impression is that it's a shadow monster that can sometimes look a little like a dog, then probably not.

Thanks everyone! I'm trying to find a game this guy might enjoy, and this has proven to be a hangup.

5. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

6. Ched

Thanks! Will check those out, along with Magicka.

I might have leeway here, so long as the dogs aren't regular enemies, but it's hard to know. Maybe if he gets caught up in the game, enjoys it, and then runs into an animal it might be easier.

Much appreciated.

7. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Perhaps Dead Island might fit too. Never played it but from what I recall it's just humanoid enemies.

That's all I can think of.

8. Jason

Jason Squib

High Score:
    You might already know this by now but Terraria does have birds/fish/butterflies etc that are optional to kill(as everything is). They appear quite often but generally do not attack and are hard to make out if they do so you only really know what they are because of name tags.

These animals-that-aren't-even-mammals might not actually count anyway but if they do I hope that this post helped. If not, well, I tried

9. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Do bugs and werewolfs make his list?

If not, then Torchlight II?

10. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Check out
    Alienswam it has Aliens
    Vermintide it has Skaven (ratpeople)

Not sure what your definition of RPG is, but these have some Skill/weapon choices and you progress and upgrade your character a bit. Great multiplayer action games.

11. Ched

Thanks everyone! I've got a decent list now. I'm going to suggest games one at a time so as not to overload him with options, and I think I'll start with Magicka. I watched a play through of it and, at least in the first hour or so of gameplay, I didn't see any animals. It also looks like it'd be possible for him to learn to spam something (like healing) and just follow us around. Plus it's a game I sort of want to play anyway.

If that doesn't work I'll just go down the list of other suggested games. Thanks again all!

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just remember, Healing + Beams = BAD THINGS!

13. Ched

[​IMG]

Game also needs to (1) work on Mac and (2) not be an FPS.

If nothing else I'm starting to realize that there is a market for a game of this nature, since apparently this golden grail of gaming does not yet exist.
    I'm just gonna give him the list, add Magicka 2 to it (which I know has a Mac port), and stop trying so hard.

14. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Are insects okay? If so: fable.

15. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I don't recall any Fable being online multiplayer. But it has been a really long time since I played them.

16. Dansel

Dansel First Year

I suppose it depends a little on what you mean with RPG since almost all games can be classified as Role Playing Games to some extent.

There are the zombie survival games out there like Left 4 Dead (2), Killing Floor and Alien Swarm. But those aren't really what most people would call RPGs.

It's been a while since I played Divinity: Original Sin and I think most of the mobs you killed there were some sort of 'monsters'. IE; Stuff that looks like animals but isn't really. Like Werewolves.

Games like Civilization V might qualify? Isn't really an RPG game as much as an SRPG or something but it might be worth looking into.

Then there are first person shooters like Sanctum and Section 8: Prejudice that might be more up your alley but I didn't really like them. Payday 2 is another such game.

17. Ched

Divinity is the game that created the biggest 'issue' that arose. At one point there is apparently a cat named Sam, which died. This wasn't even an enemy cat, so that made it triply worse.

It's things like that that you wouldn't expect, ya know?

And I'm starting to think you guys are right about how to define an RPG for this guy, b/c I'm not sure he has played enough games to have any idea of what kinds he might like.

Insects are probably fine as enemies.

Also all the responses I've gotten in here remind me why I love DLP so much.

18. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

If I remember correctly the only Fable game that had online co-op was Fable 3, which I don't think is on steam, and it's also terrible. But as a single player game, Fable 1 does meet the other criteria, the only animals that die are beetles and wasps.

19. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

If it's not abolutely necessary that it's an RPG, I think Trine and Trine 2 could also fit. You can find a list of enemies here and here.

20. theronin

theronin Order Member

Had some dog things early on in the game iirc. Also lots of spiders, but that might be ok?