1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Hero Complex by abbyepic

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Accepted Behavior Within, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Accepted Behavior Within

Accepted Behavior Within Squib

Title:Hero Complex
    Author: abbyepic
    Rating: T
    Genre: Friendship/Romance
    Library Category: Romance
    Pairings: Harry/OC
    Summary: Summary: The first time that muggle Kate Foster met Harry Potter was the first time that he saved her…by breaking her fall. "I hope that you don't make a habit of this saving people thing. You aren't very good at it." It was the start of a strange relationship.

Considering I'm a sucker for Harry/OCmuggle chick, this caught my attention a couple of days back. It's not bad, and reminds me of "Hocus Pocus, Adele Polkiss" fic I found in the romance category yesterday. It's not quite romance as so much as the idea behind it. It's well written and not that bad to pass the time.

Same as your other story. Pairing tag! --Sesc
    Author tag! That's even more important --Minion

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
  2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Awkward. And bad.

Mostly bad.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  3. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

Uninteresting and bad. 2/5

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The writer forces her self-insert into Harry's life and the important events of Order of the Phoenix in the worst, most ham-fisted manner. It's just a horrible, horrible thing to see.

Keep recommending shitty stories, OP.

5. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

What is this shit? A story written in first person from the perspective of an OC? I couldn't even finish the first chapter it was so uninteresting.

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

The OP is clearly obsessed with stories involving self-inserts. The story isn't very good, even if it wasn't a self-insert, or at least, blatant wish-fulfillment. Doesn't even belong in the recycling bin, let alone the library.

OP, if you haven't realized it, these kinds of stories should be posted in the Almost Recommendable thread, but I recommend you just keep them to yourself.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've read worse. Oh sure, nothing of any real interest happens, and despite reading the entire thing I just had to reopen it to remind myself of the OC's name, such was the level of interesting characterisation, and every chapter is just a repetition of them hanging out, then OC getting annoyed with Harry and running off, but I have read worse.

Perhaps I'm just feeling charitable after being asked to read and critique a truly piss-poor story by one of my readers tonight, but eh. 2/5. Certainly not library worthy.

Edit to add: the fact that she's planning a sequel just makes me :facepalm What could she possibly expand on? The fact that Harry doesn't end up with the OC in the end is one of the (relatively) better things about the fic, and if it's just going to be another story of "I'm a normal girl and Harry keeps secrets, waargh" then...what's the point?

/taking this too seriously

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well, it was readable. I read the entire thing in one sitting. Ending was meh.

It does feel like a self-insert and it does remind me of the Adele Polkiss story. I tired of the comments on how the POV OC felt about things because I'm pretty sure the author was channeling herself into there as a kind of "what if I was in Harry's world" personal fantasy. I often found myself skimming over the paragraphs trying to give background/depth to the OC because it was a bit too much.

That said it could have been a lot worse. I've certainly read much worse where the author tried to do the same thing...

...but it's not library worthy, at least not in my opinion. Probably not even going to make it into the recycling bin, and I can't say that's a bad thing.

Should probably have posted this in the Almost Recommended thread instead OP -- I think that's where it belongs. Worth a read if you're in the mood for something like this, but not quite up to DLP standard fare.

2.5/5

9. Warheart

Warheart Sixth Year

OP, try reading the stories in DLP library. Not only will it give you far, far better stories to read, you will also gain a better idea of what kind of stories DLP prefers.

I saw Harry/OC and I clicked the little red x.

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Only one thing I disagree with. The Adele Polkiss story was much, much worse.

11. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

It was awesome, bitch.

12. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I liked it, but there wasn't really much of anything to set it apart - as far as I could tell, canon didn't deviate in any meaningful way, and the story wasn't that great compared the Adele Polkiss one.

I'll give it a 2/5.

13. Warheart

Warheart Sixth Year

Ok, I dunno what the fuck is wrong with me, I actually read 7 chapter of this shit. And so far, not one spell, or mention of magic.

But as a piece of literature, I have to say it's not that badly written. It's like a glass of water that's neatly poured. Neat, but there's nothing to it.

Speaking of bland shit, The HP-AP story was bland as well. But Adelle was a first rate bitch, and that made the story somewhat better.

14. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Bland story, nothing of interest.

Any chance that ABW could be banned from posting or starting topics in the forum's Library section?