1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Heroes Reborn

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by LINKed up, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Haven't watched it yet but I just want to know what happened to Peter and Sylar.

2. ForgingClarity

ForgingClarity Disappeared

As it stands I'd say watching the old series is more of a supplement to Reborn, you can probably get away without rewatching the original, as it stands most of the old characters seem like they'll just be introduced through HRG (Noah Bennet) as old friends or associates. The overarching plot for the original was mostly tied up so that's not really an issue either. The only event from the original that seemingly has had an effect is
    Claire Bennet (The Cheerleader) revealing the EVO's to the world.

If you want a bit more backstory I'd recommend watching the webseries Dark Matters, it tells you a lot more about one of the new characters and fills you in on what's happened in between the original and now.

3. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    My wife has this show recorded. I'm on the fence about investing time watching it again. So, for those of you who have seen the reboot, do you think it's worth a second shot? Specifically, are they rehearsing the original plot (don't think so reading some of the posts, but figured I'd asked to get specifics)? Are they considering the first run completed and starting something completely different? I guess, I'm asking how (plotwise) they rebooted the serious.

4. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Well, the masquerade's gone for one thing. There's still a sort of in the shadows plot line going on regarding the background bad's plan and Noah's role in it but the front line stuff? That's more about actual heroing - at least for one character. We're talking costume mixing in with underground railway style here.

Heroes was always quite x-menny and it looks like this is about pursuing that in a modern day terrorism-fearing context on the one hand vs. some round-em up and kill 'em cus they're different style themes.

I was ready to go meh, but by the third episode it's engaging me. Nothing great yet so far but the return of the music and symbols and some characters who are interesting in the third episode who weren't in the first means I'll be watching this until it jumps the shark (in season 2).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  5. Indrik

Indrik First Year

High Score:
    Unfortunately, Tim Kring is being Tim Kring, so essentially second verse same as the first. EVOs (the common name for people with powers) were revealed, but they're still being hunted down for experimentation (by essentially Primatech Paper take two, though with a different name) just add broad discrimination in general to the picture. For a general understanding, think the basic X-men plot. Basically, Kring used the excuse of a timeskip simply to tell the exact same story and while this worked to varying extents in 2006, the saturation of superhero drama makes it much less acceptable to treat the material with such a superficial approach.

It also displays a lot of the issues from later seasons - many introduced characters (often oddly uninteresting and shallow - seriously, is anyone supposed to actually care about the Japanese chick whose power seems to be a magic sword?) with seemingly entirely unrelated plotlines, poor direction causing the episodes to simply flit from scene to scene without room for character growth or organic plot development, plot contrivances so that needed things happen without real explanation, and hints at a grand destiny.

6. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've only seen the first episode so far.

From what I've gathered they aren't strictly doing a rehash of the original, but you can see the similarities. I believe there is a time dilation between when Heroes ended and Reborn picks up, given the opening is about regular folks and Evos as they are now called coming together to celebrate peace and such, and they later make references to that facility where various heroes were being rounded up and put away in the original run.

After the bomb goes off at this gathering we get a jump ahead to a year afterward, and now the government is blaming Mohindar Suresh and/or 'he' has claimed responsibility for it, so all Evos are being hunted down globally. If you are one you keep that hidden or risk being reported, shot dead, etc.

We've seen a couple of the original cast make an actual appearance. Previews indicate that at least two more original cast members are slated to reappear.

EDIT: And suddenly two more posters that have probably explained in cleaner detail than I did.

7. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Hero-ninjaed?

---------------

Hmm, honestly after reading all three comments, I'm even more on the fence. Guess I'll give the first show a shot, but it's going to have to really sweep me up to keep me going.

Thanks for the feedback.

8. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Hiro'd. :)

If you can tune out the weaker sections(Gaming Girl primarily) I think you will at least find some good in the first episode. Glad you're going to give it a shot.

9. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    :nyan:

Wait, Gaming Girl is the Asian chick? Um, the base, male part of my brains wants to know why I should ever do something that stupid? ;)

10. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Miko's power seems to be a magic sword. But the popular theory is that

Her "father" is the one with the power -- something like turning evos into computer programs and vice versa. Renautus is using him to power the Molly Walker app, and he created Miko from a video game to rescue him.

11. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Heh. The CGI just seems like a waste of resources, really. Not a bad view for the crude cro-magnon in us, but I don't find her part of the story greatly compelling. At least with 'Porter Boy and Luchador the Evo stories are mildly interesting.

12. Indrik

Indrik First Year

High Score:
    If true, that makes it even worse. They already seemingly can't resist
    giving one of the Evo-hating hunter parents powers.
    The writers here would absolutely aim for unbearable Pinocchio syndrome angst in what's an already unstable and boring storyline.

13. Maphisto40

Maphisto40 First Year

High Score:
    I've only made it through the first 4 episodes, and I've let it build up in my Hulu queue because it's just been so slooooooow. I watched Heroes back when it was new and fresh and amazing (season one), but hated it from season two onwards.

This feels like season two onwards, but also trying to capitalize on nostalgia for season one if that makes any sense.

Has it picked up at all from episode 5? If it's going to be more of the same, I'll use my time to watch something else, adoration for Zachary Levi notwithstanding.

14. Blorcyn

Not sure what episode I'm on, but I've watched the most recent.
    Already massive time travel confusion is introduced. They've made the shadow producers power make sense. But yeah, it's not much fun yet.

15. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I'm really digging the new episode.

16. Zulfurium

Zulfurium Squib

i am having a hard time investing in any of the new characters, none of them seem as engaging as Claire or Hiro or Peter or Sylar :(

17. Blorcyn

Hiro's in it at the moment, although it's hard to say for how long. They don't seem too afraid of killing off characters at this point in time, so it's pretty interesting in that - compared to the later seasons of Heroes.

18. Rhett

Rhett Fourth Year

Yep. I would have watched Reborn if Peter were still around. He would have logically been the saviour of the EVO race, with his array of powers.

19. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Didn't they fuck up his powers in the last season tho, the deal with his dad and all that.

20. Blorcyn

Yeah, if Peter was in it nowadays he'd only have the one power at a time until he touched another evo, not multiple.