1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Highschool SAO By gabriel blessing - M - Sword Art Online (SAO)/Highschool DxD

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by SKsniper128, Dec 7, 2013.

1. SKsniper128

SKsniper128 Fifth Year

Title: Highschool SAO
    Author: gabriel blessing
    Rating: M
    Chapters: 1
    Words: 38,278
    Published: Dec 1, 2013

Fandom: Sword Art Online cross with Highschool DxD
    Pairings: Kirito/Asuna, Rias/Ise
    Summary: Rias Gremory wasn't certain what to expect when she found herself in a hospital hearing the wish of a boy dressed all in black. She definitely was surprised by what the price of his wish would be.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9891998/1/Highschool-SAO

Most people who have read Fate/Stay Night stories would be familiar with Gabriel Blessing's works (In Flight and Hill of Swords). While I do agree that his epics tend to drag on with unnecessary padding and excessive detail, his 'one shots' (if they can really be called such, 6 chapters: 38K words) are wonderfully to the point and well written.

I think one of the primary strengths of this story is the more subtle characterization and meshing of the SAO characters and setting with the HS DxD plotline. More specifically, Kirito and Asuna behave like human beings who have been put through the wringer for two years. He manages to keep everyone more or less in character in a belivable sense. Conversations also flow smoothly and action scenes are written well.

He does seem to have cut quite a bit of worldbuilding out of the story and seems to write with the assumption that the audience is already familiar with either or both of the settings. But he does fit in scenes where Kirito starts slipping into gamer lingo (DPS, 'Tank', Grinding) confusing other characters who were not as familiar with the terms.

The only main complaint I would have is the occassional jarring scene change between Parts (chapters), he leaves the narrative and the characters in one location and starts again in a different location with no explaination on how they got there or why they are there to begin with.

If nothing else, a good way to spend an hour or so.

-SK

Checked by Minion, January 19, 2014

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
  2. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Enjoyed this a great deal more than I expected. Not earth shattering, but well worth the time. I caught most of the gamer lingo without much of a problem, despite being out of the MMO world for a few years (and it's harder to quite WoWcrack than most non-gamers realize), but there weren't too many 'in' jokes that it's a barrier to enjoyment.

Most of my complaints with GB is the massive distraction that is worldbuilding he always goes way to overboard in; however, in this story he manages to stay a a low enough level that you can understand what is going on without too much of a problem, but keeping the fic to a reasonable length.

3. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

So, am I seeing Highschool DxD in conjunction with a girl being romantically linked with someone who isn't Issei? I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed to happen.

4. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Haven't seen Highschool DxD, but gave it a go anyway (despite my issues, I do tend to enjoy GB's stuff). Couldn't get into this at all though. Think perhaps you may need knowledge of Highschool DxD to properly enjoy it.

5. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I enjoyed it greatly. Good to see Kirito and Asuna post awakening, and enjoying themselves, in a "safe" environment. 4/5

6. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I liked it. It was a touch boring at first, but got me interested around the training camp. Everyone was in character, and it was written well. It felt genuine to the source material, though I couldn't help but to think that some Kirito and Asuna fluff wouldn't be amiss... Kiba's point of view was strange, and the fic felt somewhat strangely clinical and distant. I can't put it really into words. Skipping all the world building, the fic also felt a bit rushed.

Still 4/5, though.