1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How did you find DLP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jon, Jan 8, 2016.

?

How did you find DLP?

1. Recommended by a Fanfic Author (if so who?)

572 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. Found via the DLP C2

280 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Recommended by a friend

84 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Recommended off another website (if so where?)

323 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. My fic was recommended here and I was curious

41 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Someone trash talked DLP and I was curious

243 vote(s)
    11.0%
  7. I found DLP via Google

675 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Will it make you feel better if I told you that I still hadn't read the extra chapters? Been here a full year now and everything. I mean it was good, but from my memory the focus of the story didn't interest me that much. I don't really care for magical research stories.

2. Pinnacle

Pinnacle First Year

High Score:
    After looking through piles upon piles of slash, hidden slash, outrageously oc Harry and bashing fics, I went looking for a better way to search for fics rather than using Fanfiction.net's flawed search system; I found the Harry Potter Fanfiction Reddit. While I was on there someone recommended a story, another responded that the story was bad and the person who recommended the story said that's just what those elitist bastards at dlp think. I went to dlp and liked it more than the Reddit alternative, so here I am.

3. Rednell

Rednell Muggle

High Score:
    Mine isn't too dissimilar a tale to Pinnacle's in that I was trying to find a better way of looking for decent fics amongst the swathes of dross and happened across this site. I liked how there are more thorough reviews and a real emphasis on quality and decent writing instead of the usual obsession with fangirling or ships.

4. Icecold1039

Icecold1039 Squib

High Score:
    I think I first heard of it through the fanfic Harry Potter and the Boy who Lived. However I only joined because something annoyed me enough to want to post in the Mother of Learning thread. I'll probably just lurk and infrequently post.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  5. Dysentia

Dysentia Squib

My story is pretty much the same as Icecold1039's. Found HP and the Boy Who Lived, lead me right here.

6. Theory

Theory Disappeared

High Score:
    I was going through a thread on Sufficient Velocity called The Best Damn Fics You've Ever Read the which provided a link here!

7. aarchaput

aarchaput Squib

High Score:
    I was searching TVtrooes for good Harry Potter fics, and I was linked here.

8. loluftam

loluftam Squib

I found this through the C2 on FF.net. I was looking at communities one of an author and it was on there.

I'm liking the "no douchebaggery" attitude. Its refreshing.

9. El Tarkus

El Tarkus Squib

High Score:
    Strangely, I found this place while searching for ASOIAF reccomended fanfics in Google. At long last, a place free of slash, weird plots and other assorment of BS.

10. Xylantros

Xylantros Squib

High Score:
    I myself was reading a Harry Potter fanfic on FF.net that had abruptly stopped and was desperately searching for any more content continuing the story. Alas, I did not find any new material, just a thread lamenting the apparent death of the fic in question. But since it introduced me to this site I can't complain, I definitely appreciate the quality control exercised by this forum.

11. Ruisu55

Ruisu55 Muggle

Thanks to Surarrin and his fanfic Devil You Know, Iregistered but I never posted until today after reading Surarrin's other work Fool me Twice

Jon
  12. Knight_Radiant

Knight_Radiant Muggle

I found my way here in my search for more decent Dresden Files fics, to be more precise Surarrin's Devil you Know fic lured me here.

I ended up spending a long time away after the muggle rule kicked in and I couldn't get away with lurking. Lol.

But here I am years later finding myself getting pulled here by yet another fic by Surarrin. The very nice DXD/P5 crossover called Fool me Twice.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Jon
  13. ScarletRain

ScarletRain Muggle

High Score:
    tldr: Joined because of Scryer

Well, I'm been aware of this site for quite some time, maybe since 2012? But I never made an account because I didn't see the point of it. I was already part of a thriving hp forum and was more into anime/manga. So over the years, I would pop in and check the fanfiction recommendations. I actually think that I found my first well-written naruto fanfiction here. I think it had something to do with sunflowers or sunshine? IDK. Although I would infrequently visit when I saw someone trash-talking dlp. I remember a really good argument about HPMoR!

But I finally made an account because of Scryer: The Fanfiction Search Engine. I've been using Ao3 for the past few years and few in love with the sorting/tag system. But recently I've been nostalgic for old HP and SailorMoon fic. Lots of the old Sailor Moon sites have gone done, so I decided to go back to Fanfiction.net. And I realized how much I HATE THEIR SEARCH SYSTEM! You can't search between a specific wordcount number! That's all I wanted, but noooooo. So I looked for an app or extension that could work and found Scryer.

But most of my fandoms weren't present, so I made an account to request a fandom. But then I got distracted by the gitproject and wanted to know how everything worked.

So yeah

tldr: Joined because of Scryer

14. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Your request has been heard. Sailor Moon will show up in the next few hours.

15. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I found this site back in 2006. A writer had posted a very scathing review in his A/N and I laughed and googled the site and immersed myself into this cesspit.

I was reading stuff from LT2000, jBern, STarkan, and ip82. I was a lurker for a long time, mostly because of how caustic the forum was, and only joined up when I noticed that parts of the site were hidden from nonmembers. I signed up, and have slowly been building my post count ever since.

16. Kord

Kord Squib

High Score:
    I stumbled upon the C2 like an oasis of awesomeness in a desert of bashy, slashy, godmode crap, and it lead me here.

17. kokopelli

kokopelli Muggle

I was doing beta work for JBern, who frequented DLP at the time and had discussions with FullPensieve who also mentioned DLP.

18. ididntdoit

ididntdoit Squib

I found dlp through an Jbern's author bio in 2007 and have been lurking off and on, ever since. Pretty sure it was DLP that led me to dresden, so thanks for that, and played in the cybernations guild that was sort of related to DLP for a while. Spent most of my time reading hall of shame intro pages in those days.

19. Lakas1236547

Lakas1236547 Muggle

High Score:
    Found it via Google some time back. Did not like it for some reason. After a lot of good words about this site from r/HPfanfiction, I decided to give it an actual try.

20. Morgen

Morgen Muggle

Google search session and saw some shit talking, from people who couldn't take the heat DLP dishes out, lurked here a bit, decided to join up.