1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How do YOU find good fics?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ghosthree3, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Viscount

Viscount Squib

High Score:
    This is what I do, also. I like how comprehensive the search filter is when you need to pare down results from a writer who bookmarks in the thousands.

2. Pathtoreading

Pathtoreading Squib

High Score:
    Have been using the Top lists on the r/hpfanfiction page these days, although the DLP C2 was what brought me some of my best reads.

Thanks for the thread though - it's given me a lot of ideas on how to find new fics.

3. maile

maile Squib

High Score:
    as many suggested above using ffn filters to narrow a search and then if I find a story I like I'll check the author's favorite stories (assuming if they write something I enjoy I suspect they will read stuff I would like). I hate trying to find stuff on AO3, lately I've simply resorted to clicking on tags that sound interesting and then narrowing from there and lastly the r/hpfanfiction page

4. drnido

drnido Squib

High Score:
    If i enjoy an authors work, the chances are his favorite's list is going to have a couple of stories i will enjoy reading. That is how i usually find new stories to read.

5. DeezNuts

DeezNuts Squib

High Score:
    Used to use fanfiction.net but it brought me to dlp, which is easier to use since most of the garbage is already filtered out. God bless you dlp

6. AlPamphilii

AlPamphilii Squib

High Score:
    Mostly hoping of a new gem being born in FFN, reading reddit's new posts and looking at the favourites of authors who have written decent fics.

7. Iandude0

Iandude0 Squib

Personally if I'm looking for something on specific fandoms I'll ask the people I know in the circles I hang out with about good stuff. I'll usually find something good enough, or at the very least I'll get something bad but entertaining which is fine enough in my opinion.

Other than that, I occasionally trawl FFnet and rule out fics with summaries that include:
    A) Bad Grammer
    B) The phrase 'don't like, don't read' or similar
    C) OCs. There's a place for them, I don't think they're necessarily in Fanfiction with narratives unless done well, so I tend to avoid unless they're recced by someone else.
    D) Harems unless I feel like reading trash.

Those guidelines are a good way to filter out about 90% of the crap and then I give the first chapter a quick skim. If there's anything egregious, I move on.

8. ilovebullets

ilovebullets Squib

I must say that i could not word i better. But i read mostly crossover Fictions because there is mostly more difference to the plot. And i stay away from "reading" Fics. They just are not good.

9. hanabanana

hanabanana Squib

High Score:
    To find good fanfiction, I just search for stories with the character Harry P. in them. And then I judge them based on the grammar in the summary. My method isn't really efficient, but I've found really good fanfiction this way. So at least, it's effective.

10. HatfulofHate

HatfulofHate Squib

High Score:
    For finding good stories, my methodology used to be to sort by reviews, filter out as many slash relationships as I could, and get rid of Harry/Snape (because everyone knows that once Snape randomly encounters a four to ten year old HP with those great big green eyes, he loses all enmity for James and remembers how much he loves Lily and then blood adopts Harry blah blah blah, sorry lost track).

Then it comes down to the first few chapters, and making sure no red flags pop up (male pregnancy, ridiculous character bashing, terrible dialogue, rehashing canon plot lines without any originality) but lately, it's pretty much a shit show and all terrible. Luckily, the stuff on Kindle has been picking up the slack, so I'm not missing it as much.

11. disc

disc Squib

High Score:
    By partially reading lots of crap to be honest. Much like everyone else I'll do things like like go through an author's favorites or recommendations, searching for particular tropes or pairings, ect but at the end of the day I'm usually okay reading mediocre fics and spend time going through crap.

12. Dkapflzk

Dkapflzk Squib

High Score:
    Usually when I search a fic, I see the word count.

13. cecilia1991

cecilia1991 Squib

High Score:
    A knut for my thoughts

The best way I found was by keywords that you want to be in a story and of course the content goes from 60 000 words, you will get a long list which you should check each option, remember the phrase "you do not know what treasures there are at first sight "also sometimes you will follow the recommendation of those authors and will take you to other incredible fanfics. Is a long process but very useful for me as I find fanfics that were not finished and even forgotten but its quality is undeniable.
    Good luck in your search for good fanfics.

: Nyan:​

14. Nigma

Nigma Squib

High Score:
    Besides checking communities which is usually a good a way to find a couple of stories worth reading. I like to go through the fav storiesist of authors who have written a story I really enjoyed.

15. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I write them. It's the only way to be sure. /wank

For srs, at this point I stick pretty much to author profile favorites on the assumption that quality writers will not favor crap. Analysis: mostly true. Also word-of-mouth of writers I trust, even if it means entering a Fandom I've never concerned myself with before. DLP C2.

Personally, I have a higher tolerance for meh when it's a new Fandom. At this point it's very difficult to find new HP fics because some tropes are now so stale to me that I hit X on reflex, even if it's actually kinda minor or not even done that badly.

16. Thedanialkhalid

Thedanialkhalid Muggle

Through searching Google and via reading reviews from dlp and Reddit .