1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How do you think the Seventh book will affect fanfiction?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Darius, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    I think that there will be lot less of it.

What are your thoughts?

2. se7en

se7en Professor

More timetravel and AU's of course

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

More Pixies.

4. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Se7en, that's a given. Considering that each book kicked fanfiction in the nuts, why should this be any different?

5. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

And sexy house elves. Can't forget the elves.

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Im convinced that Winky is going to play a major role in Voldies demise. And it will porbably involve lots of leather!

But there will be less fanfiction, of the 'fangirl attempts to write novel length romance h/g', some will still write post hogwarts, but not as many as before.

There will be more AU and Time Travel, but also a lot more post hogwarts fics.

7. Lord Boufniak

Lord Boufniak Squib

I think the effect the book will have on fanfiction depends on which characters, if any, get killed. If Harry gets killed in the end, there'll be tons of fics where someone(Most likely Ginny due to the amount of misguided people who seem to like her) goes back in time to save him. The same applies for Harry going back in time to save someone else who may end up dead.

I can just picture the amount of one-shots getting written where Harry wakes up in the end and realizes everything was just a dream though. It's not going to pretty.

8. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

I agree with Mordecai.
    If she wraps it up nicely, there will likely be a sudden drop in fanfiction, if not, there will likely be a spike as people try to change it to fit their needs, but then people will realize that the story is over, thus readers wil drop it, and writers, having a lower audience, will stop writing.

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah. Time-travel and AU's will become the new 'in' thing. A lot of Post-Hogwarts/Voldemort stories will come about as well.

The movies might keep some interested, but after awhile, the fandom will start to slow down and eventually die. Be awhile before that happens, though. There will always be people wanting to write more, its just how many people will be actually reading them?

10. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The last chapter is supposed to be what happens to everybody and I'm going to take a "wild" guess that it's going to say Harry married Ginny and had umpteen kids. I think there will be even more H/G super soul bond married at 13 stories, if that's even possible.

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah... the last chapter sounds anti-climatic. I wouldnt mind knowing what they'll be getting up too, but knowing that it'll be some bullshit like Harry and Ginny getting married, as well as Ron and Hermione, so they make one big fat Weasley family... well, I want to headbutt something.

Ooo, and the last word is scar. Hopefully it has nothing to do with Harry's scar and all to do with Ginny's face, which has been munted by a large ugly scar so Harry doesnt want her anymore.

Yeah, yeah, I'll keep dreaming.

Also... I shudder to think about all the Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione children stories that'll come out, if those really are the ending pairings... or even if they arent.

"Kelly Potter meets John Weasley, Fester Malfoy and Samantha Lovegood. She falls in love with them all and cant decide!"

Truly evil.

12. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

Omg, I could see it already...Draco's (if he's alive) child will be the next dark lord. Harry's son or daughter will be the light side's new hero, and Harry will take Dumbledore's role as an old coot.

Ewwww, just imagine all the possibilities!

13. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I think there will be a lot more other era fics written. Dumbledores time at Hogwarts the Mauraders and the founders and when ever Merlin existed (I was never sure if he was long before the founders or only a hundred years or so)

14. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

"Historically" Merlin Wyllt (Merlin the Wild, a great seer/prophet) first appeared after the battle of Arfderydd in 573. Geoffrey of Monmouth and and Nennius place him (Merlin Ambrosius, shape shifter and wise man) a little later but still well before the 9th century when the Hogwarts Four would be around.

Modern Fiction's Merlin is a bit of a combination of both with a healthy dose of folklore added to T.H. White's and Marion Zimmer Bradley's own twisted minds.

Sadly, wikipedia's influence on this post was minimal beyond supplying the dates, I actually knew the other bits. I'm a geek for Arthurian Legends.

15. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Well, the one great thing about the seventh book will be far far less post-HBP fic.

I see the fandom weakening for sure, but I don't think it'll die. There are plenty of fandoms with small but strong followings (LOTR or SW for instance) despite the canon material essentially having finished all the major storylines. HP's fandom is too big to completely disappear. I'm guessing even after the 7th the HP fanfic scene will still be the largest one.

Where did you hear this, about the last chapter being what happens to everybody? Anyone got a link at all? She's actually going to have a sort of epilogue telling the story of years down the road? That seems... sickening. Ending the storyline is one thing. Summing up the entire rest of their lives in a few paragraphs is horrifying.

But I am nearly certain, considering the popularity of HP, no publisher will let her unintentionally encourage her MASSIVE worldwide following into teen marriage or pregnancy.

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

What hapens with FF in a year or so? Well, that depends on how the book ends.

The best case scenario would be that Ginny sacrifices herself to awaken Harry's power of love. That could give Independent!Harry, Azkaban!Harry and all the DLP compatible genres a nice new boost (with Weasleys blaming Harry etc...).

I have a strage feeling that Harry could end up reincarnated in his son or daughter. In that case, we'll probably a whole new generation of 1st year fics with new characters.

If Harry dies, that wil be pretty bad scenario for FF. We'll probably slow decline of various AU's, until JKR publishes something new in HPVerse. Unlike Star Wars and LOTR, Potterverse doesn't have a whole lot of 'cool' characters that could take a lead role.

The worst case scenario would be the one that Nonjon had mentioned - Summary of everyone's lives after the end of the series. That would definitely kill the fandom.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

17. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I dont think its the rest of their lives, just a few years down the track or someshit. The link is in one of the threads around here somewhere. I cant remember which one, though.

18. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

That certainly is a strange idea, what makes you think that?

I think there will be a lot of OC main character fics where the author is really the boy/girl who lived.:wall:

Just thinking about it......... *shudder

19. Wisdom's Mountain

Wisdom's Mountain Sixth Year

And what of DLP? Is this forum going to be like the fiction of SW still around, or will it be completely different?

Obviously, most stories will be AU's, from any of the years. But, I have a horrible feeling about the poor quality of magical fighting and the power of love and how that will affect HP FF for years to come.

20. razz

razz Seventh Year

Sorry to break it to you then, but ...

the Harry Potter Lexicon says:

J.K.Rowling says: