1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How good could Harry have become?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Don, Aug 3, 2017.

1. The Dork Lord

The Dork Lord Squib

High Score:
    Where in the books does it say wizards have magic in their blood?
    We also have no indication of Harry's political prowess, therefore your claims that Harry rooted out the corruption in the Ministry and the claim he is a mastermind politician are entirely baseless.
    Go read the books again and stop regurgitating fandom concepts.

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The idea that Harry rooted out the corruption in the Ministry actually comes from a secondary source, I'm pretty sure. Pottermore, or maybe an interview.

3. AmerigoCorleone

AmerigoCorleone Seventh Year

Nah, you're pretty much the only person still arguing.

Everyone else has moved on.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I want whatever you're on.

5. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What? Not everyone has moved on; you haven't even moved on! You were still trying to argue your points six hours ago.

6. AmerigoCorleone

Pretty much everyone has come to the consensus that Harry's potential is up there with Bellatrix, Moody, Slughorn, etc. But nowhere near Dumbledore and Voldemort.

Zombie is the only one still arguing that Harry is a run-of-the-mill average Wizard.
    --- Post automerged ---
    It was a statement by JK Rowling - she said that in their tenure as Aurors, Harry and Ron did an impressive job in rooting out corruption in the ministry.

7. Sey

High Score:
    No he was insulting the way you argued and fabricated things to try to make your points.

8. AmerigoCorleone

Then he's wasting his time.

9. Sey

High Score:
    Also, not everyone has come to a consensus. Some, or most for that matter, people just realized that you are a waste of time and that despite pages of argument proving your wrong you will not see the light.

10. AmerigoCorleone

Nope, most have come to this consensus.

And there are no arguments proving this wrong - all the arguments have done is reassert that Harry will never reach Dumbledore and Voldemort.

Harry being a prodigy in DADA and above average in most subjects has not been proven wrong.

Harry having reflexes that are impressive enough to react to Voldemort's spellcasting has not been proven wrong.

Harry becoming Head of the Auror Division has not been proven wrong.

Harry becoming Head of DMLE has not proven wrong.

Harry and Ron rooting out corruption in the Ministry has not been proven wrong.

Harry being a competent leader, teacher, and politician has not been proven wrong.

None of these things have been proven wrong.

So what on earth are we even arguing about?

11. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I love how you presume to speak for 'most' when literally everyone disagrees with you.

Sey
  12. AmerigoCorleone

Incorrect. The people I've been arguing with were arguing for entirely different reasons.

Zombie was not arguing with me for the same reason that ScottPress, TheWiseOne were.

In the end it makes no difference. If you wish to believe that Harry is a run-of-the-mill average Wizard with no particular skills and abilities, then you can continue to do so.

13. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I appreciate the permission.

14. AmerigoCorleone

Your welcome.

15. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @AmerigoCorleone, I can't decide if it's more funny or pitiful that you've missed @Zombie's point by the breadth of an ocean.

You're the only one under impression that we're still debating Harry's magical prowess. No, mate, the last two pages or so have been about trying to make you realize that it's not your premise we have a problem with, but the completely nonsensical arguments you've been putting forth to support your premise.

There is plenty of evidence in the books to support your idea, but you for some reason become fixated on insisting that a scrawny kid with shit eyesight would have made the greatest Ninja Knight if he'd lived in the Middle Ages. Wat.

Calling people retarded and insisting they lack reading comprehension skills when they obviously don't didn't do a whole lot of good for your case either.

TLDR; stop acting like a petulant idiot and work on your reading comprehension skills because the point went so far over your head I don't think they could spot it from the ISS.

16. AmerigoCorleone

No, I stated many pages ago that I was using hyperbole when I compared Harry to a Knight.

So, it's another case of people lacking reading comprehension if the reason this argument even persists is because of that post, when I clearly stated that I was exagerrating all of his traits, in that specific post.

17. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

It's not exaggeration if that's your whole comparison.

18. Sey

High Score:
    I think we all can realize this is a waste of time. Some things are just to hard for some people to grasp.

19. AmerigoCorleone

I will give a more accurate comparison, then - a serious one, set in the modern world.

Harry Potter has phenomenal reflexes, the evidence for this is that he is the only character in the series, besides Dumbledore, that can react to Voldemort's spellcasting. If Harry's abilities - in their quality - were to be transferred to the real world, then he could, with some level of fitness, be a professional Tennis player, Baseball player, etc.

Harry has shown an aptitude for Investigation, Law Enforcement, Leadership, Teaching, etc.. These abilities would allow him to be effective as a member of the FBI, CIA, Court System, etc.

The author said that Harry Potter is a phenomenal Auror.

"Harry had an edge more talent [than Neville] because Harry-- he has an extraordinary instinct for the right thing to do. He's just got the right instinct, and that's what would make him, in due course, a phenomenal Auror."

- J.K. Rowling

--- Post automerged ---
    True. How some people cannot grasp that I wasn't even being serious when I compared Harry to a Knight - when I clearly stated that I wasn't - is beyond me, but that's what happens when people can't read.

20. Sey

High Score:
    Um... the 'some people' I talked about was you.