1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete HP and the Butcher of Hogsmeade by Yagr of Nar - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Nov 26, 2005.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Harry Potter and the Butcher of Hogsmeade
    Author: Yagr of Nar
    Rating: M
    Category: General/Action/Adventure
    Pairings: Some Harry/Narcissa and Snape/Lupin innuendo, but no action
    Chapters: 26
    Words: 359,215
    Updated: Feb 10, 2006
    Published: Jan 6, 2005

Summary: Harry's schooling gets derailed. Dumbledore's manipulations cause great dissatisfaction among his allies. Lucius Malfoy goes on trial. And Snape is forced to act as a babysitter.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2207985/1/

Super Harry of 'unique-magic' kind, mentored by Snape, Lupin & Narcissa, going against manipulative and unscrupulous Dumbledore.

The biggest upside of this story is fantastic characterisation of less-used characters (like Crabble & Goyle, Pomona Sprout, Narcissa Malfot etc.) Actually, all the characters are well done - Snape who gets a bonner on displays of power, Lupin in love with Snape (but NO SLASH), Draco escaping to France with nothing but his name, Nevile angry with Harry, etc. There is generaly no clished characters in this story, which is a giant plus.

Another upside is unique and funny way Harry took care of Voldemort. If you don't like this story, at least scroll to the end and read that.

The author dealed with Harry's super-powers by making them appear only sporadicly and acting basically like an accidental magic, which is OK I guess.

Downside is bad tempo of this story - it's just too slow at times, hard to read. Also, Harry becomes ridiculously powerful in the end, more so than in any other super story. But in the meantime, he's just good old half-squib from the canon, which is realy frustrating at times.

You should read this, it's worth it in the end.

Checked by Minion, March 7, 2014

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I remember reading this fic a while ago. Certainly differant in some ways, its worth reading at least once.

3. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I'm trying to read this now. The main thought that keeps coming to my head is that the author goes way overboard with descriptions. Enormous block paragraphs describing every insignificant detail regarding the scene. I often find myself skipping them out of a desire to get to the damned point.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I'm totaly with you there. It surely was damn hard to read at times.

But underneath all that shit is a really good and original story. After finishing it, all those frustrating parts are kinda forgotten and the thing seems much better than while reading it. Stay strong, my son, you shall find strenght to endure :)

5. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Read this entire fic last night, which means that it was at least good enough to keep me interested. I did end up skimming over much of Harry's magical testing with Remus and Snape. That sort of stuff really doesn't interest me, I'd rather be reading about the actual plot. I was rather disappointed with how woefully anticlimactic the final battle was, with Harry ambushing Riddle and the Death Eaters as they were drunk from a revel and basically decimating them with ease. I also would have liked for something to have developed on the Harry/Narcissa front, or even some Harry/Cho, as the author pointedly mentioned how hot Harry still was for her all throughout the work. Dumbledore was also way too stupid for my tastes and behaved in a very senile manner that we never saw in canon. Angry!Neville was ridiculous, and the notion that he had more raw potential than Harry even more so. My version of Harry would have slapped the Cruciatus on the little fuck and taunted him about sending him to join his parents. I'll give the author points for originality there, though. That's just a pet peeve of mine though. I can never tolerate seeing any of the other students portrayed as being equal to or better than Harry in terms of magical power. Still a good work overall, but I felt that it started rolling downhill towards the end.

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yep, the end does seems a bit rushed. Too many subplots remained unanswered, but I guess the guy has a sequel planned.

I didn't like the final battle because Harry was just too damn powerful. Riddle had no chance at all, and neither did his followers. Although, I did like his ultimate fate, as well as the fates of his key enforcers.

As for Dumbledore, I think it was pretty clear he was only pretending to be senile. I found that pretty cool, coz it isn't used very often. The real Dumbledore is visible only on moments, like when he snapped at Harry in chapter one, or during their conversation in the end. I didn't notice him acting very stupid, coz he seemed to have known what was Harry up to at all times.

As for Neville, I really don't remember seeing him portrayed as powerful as Harry. Hmm, maybe he was close in normal magic, but Harry wasn't using that any more. I actually kinda liked his character, he is usually hero-worshiping Harry in fics. It was nice seeing him mad at Harry, for a good reason at that.

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I was mostly referring to Lupin saying that Neville likely had more power than Harry, as well as even Snape referring to the Bottom Boy as a 'monster talent' or something similar. Both were within the story's opening chapters, and I just snickered at the idea of Neville threatening to blow Harry's head off, as if the latter couldn't destroy him with a thought. The idea of Neville Longbottom being placed at equal parity with Harry Potter is absolutely ridiculous IMO, as is any other student being even within the same galaxy as him.

8. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

Is this the one where Harry doubletalks Dumbledore into saying "Umm.." 50870758 times? If it is... I stopped reading after the first paragraph/block/chapter/book thing

9. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

No...it was a decent story, but the end really threw me. The pace was far too slow, and after all of this hyping of his powers he defeats Voldie anti-climaticly and then becomes all weird. Then the story ends. I was really hoping for Harry/Narcissa, but it seems all he does is meet her a few times, and learn from her, the first few times though he was staring at her breasts. Also, this story is by Yagr of Nar, not Warlord Harrsk.

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Fuck! I should really stop using other posts as templates. Fixed.

11. Lord Ravenclaw

I edited the topic title for you as well.

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Thanx, sorry 'bout that...

13. Lord Ravenclaw

No problem. If you wish to appease us, put out another chapter of your story! :twisted:

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I don't like you THAT much... :)

15. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon DA Member

This story is well written I recommend the read it.

16. Israfel

Israfel First Year

I just wanna respond to something LT said awhile back, if you guys don't mind. I completely agree with you LT, that's the major thing that rubbed me the wrong way about "Harry Potter and the Litany of Blood" was just that he made that character Psyche Malfoy, Draco's sister, have more magical potential than anyone else in the entire wizarding world and then he had her befriend Ron! I hate it when they make people more powerful than Harry. Harry is supposed to beat Voldemort, he survived the Killing Curse, and thus, as LT put it in 'Dakaath', he should be The Dominant.