1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Fanfic cliche rant thread v5.1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Lord Rostam, Apr 5, 2006.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

Oh god yeah!

If I have to read the fucking sorting one more time, I think I might go crazy.
    Well crazier anyway.

Also I'm getting sick of CoS ending the same, even killing Ginslut to stop TR would be different.

Don't these people have any imagination, or is it a conspiracy.

Litha

2. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

That brings up a peeve of mine. I hate it when the authors who write the first book always say right in the middle of the story..."A/N: Sorry I can't Remember the sorting song." Or " I'm to lazy to write the sorting." It makes want to rage and scream at them when all I can do is leave a nasty review.

3. Harpy Prince

Harpy Prince Seventh Year

Yeah like slytherin!harry saving Hermione with Draco and they become the "bwestest fwends!!" while Ron wanders off and acts "poopy".

4. Litha Riddle

Too true Harpy.

No self respecting Slytherin would risk their neck, unless it was for personal gain.
    Slytherin's above all are self serving and self preserving:) .

If all you care about is your own ambition, you're not gonna risk you're arse for Herman. Or Malfoy.

Slytherin means cunning and sly, ruthless and ambitious. Non of which involves saving stupid, damsel in distress mudbloods. Especially ones that faint when seeing deadly trolls.

Litha

5. Syn

Syn Fourth Year

does anyone else think it's ridiculous that if a story has included any firsties that interact with harry and the sunshine gang that they're reduced to acting like toddlers?

clingy, pacified, treated like little oompa loompas...constantly baby-talked and soothed...it drives me bonkers.

i mean, even in canon (which is fairly ridiculous) firsties weren't utter morons. sure they didn't know many spells or anything - but you didn't see the trio idoloize some 5th-7th year and cling to them like they were surrogate parents (and you can't tell me that the trio were some ultra extraordinary badass firsties).

it just gets ridiculous.

6. Harpy Prince

That's because Harry Potter doesn't idolize. Harry Potter is idolized. The trio weren't extraordinarily badass. Just Harry, he did make the quidditch team as a firstie after all.

7. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

I do agree with Syn, though. First years are eleven years old. They are toddlers in any fashion. 11 year olds are capable of having intelligent conversation. Many people forget that.

8. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Yeah, I agree with Fue. At eleven I was able to hold an intelligent conversation with my father and such, so why shouldn't the eleven-year-olds in Harry Potter be able to? The immaturity of puberty, as far as I can tell, doesn't really start to set in until 12 or 13, when guys start to act out and shit.

9. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

Also eleven year old harry is usually good looking and and tall with height over 5'8" height. Thats not the normal height at that age. (Of course you Pierce Brosnan who was unusally 6' at eleven.)

10. LINKed up

Yeah, I really hate the eleven year old Harry that has already gone through puberty, it annoys me. And it makes no biological sense what-so-ever.

11. carnivalofcarnage

carnivalofcarnage Second Year

I was just wondering if anyone had mentioned the fact that Harry can always drink obscene amounts of alcohol. Any fic I read that involves alcohol always has Harry drinking at least 1 bottle of firewhiskey (since we all no there is no other alcohol in the magical world). From personal experience I know that 1 whole bottle of whiskey is a recipe for alcohol poisoning. It really annoys me as well that he drinks this much on his first time ever as well, he doesn't start out with beer (or mulled mead) but goes straight to the hard liquor... not the smartest thing either.

12. Harpy Prince

Are you serious? Every 11 year old I know is a complete dumbass who knows nothing but what the best cards in Yugioh are. Puberty is actually the beginning of maturity Linked, it's the start to adulthood. Yes some people at 11 are pretty smart but that doesn't mean every single 11 year old is a genius.

13. Litha Riddle

I agree with you.

I can understand premature magical maturation, but premature puberty doesn't work.
    I knew a girl who started puberty at 11, it didn't make her any more mature.

I can't understand why authors would want 11yr olds screwing. Young children are smart but that does not extend to sexual maturity. Because lets face it, sex is a biological drive to get kids, 11, 12 and 13yr olds don't have that kind of drive.

What is wrong with writing them as powerful children, or are these authors too lazy to read up on child psychology.

Litha

Edit: my cousin at 10 was buying pokemon cards, replacing the ones he wanted with ones he didn't. He then re-sold them for the retail price. So 11yr olds can be fucking smart.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  14. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

I'm not saying they're geniuses...I'm just saying that they are capable of intelligent conversation. They don't have to be doing highly advanced mathematics, they just have to be able to talk and act like a normal person.

15. LINKed up

Yes, it is the beginning of maturity, but that doesn't mean that they have mature personalities instantaneously.

And I'm not saying that they are geniuses either, I'm just agreeing with Fue with the fact that they can hold intelligent conversations.

16. Harpy Prince

Honestly I've tried to talk to eleven year olds. I once asked one what he thought of gay marriage. His answer was "Hell no! Gays are gay!". "Gays are gay"....... doesn't actually ring intelligent to me. I then asked him what he thought of wrestling. He then spouted off for about an hour on WWE champions and what not.

17. Bungler

Bungler Guest

You need to talk with eleven years old that have parents or people they take after that can hold a intelligent conversation.

When I was eleven years old I'd like to think that even if I most likely had immature responses to people I didn't like or collected some crazy card games, I was able to talk to an adult when asked and take things seriously when needed.

On topic, I hate it when Dursleys beat Harry. The only way I see that happen is if they move to a area where nobody cares what you do or Dumbledore is evil and make an effort to obliviate(sp?) people wich he doesn't have time for because he needs to run a school. (Sorry if this has already been brought up but I havent followed this tread.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2006
  18. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Im 20 and I cant hold an intelligent conversation.

19. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

I'm very sorry.

There's a difference between having an 11 year old express adult views on politics and economics; and having them make complete sentences, answer questions asked of them and know how to handle situations that arise. 11 was fith/sixth grade in the US, right? If you walk into a Jr. High School, you don't expect to be talking to little kids. Sure, they look small, but no one I know would dumb down how they speak or talk to them as though they couldn't understand logical arguments.

20. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

When I was 11 I was either playing soccer, kicking someones ass in chess, or castigating my friends who justified their conservative political beliefs with "because".

Not much has changed since then; I still play soccer, I am still far above average when it comes to chess, and I still castigate people who back their argument up with "because". Although I would like to think that my arguing has gotten better... I haven't been to as many death penalty protests recently though :/

Gotta love the burnt out hippy family friends :)

So I don't have a problem with Intelligent! Harry... Just as long as the author isn't an idiot with it.

Not open for further replies.