1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Mione... I hate that. Here in Brazil god knows why they made it that everytime Ron or Harry talked with her that called her that. Minnie makes hurl, as Harrisson.

Edir: Spent may 1000th post complaining about atuoid shit people write on fanfic. I feel like a proud full DLPer now.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  2. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Although I don't like reading it, Minnie, Mione, and Ronald all make sense, as they're natural ways someone would shorten a name (or speak formally/in anger).

All the "Harry is the second generation Marauders" is crap. Mainly because it paints Sirius as a 40 year old child, which, in canon, he most definitely is not. He may be somewhat cocky and still have issues with Snape, but he's far from being a teenager.

3. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Oh, I almost forgot: Lily-Flower, in any Fic where James and Lily are still alive.

4. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Never seen that, usually see James call her "Love" or "Lils", which seems distinctly un-pureblood like.

5. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

James is a pureblood that married a muggleborn. He's a little anomalous :)

6. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Ya but I don't expect him to sound like a builder buying a breakfast roll.

7. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

I don't expect him to sound like anything, give how little we actually know about him.

8. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Is there information in canon that definitively states that Harry's ability to speak parseltongue went away when the horcrux inside him did? I know that's the general assumption, but I had a thought that it might be more akin to a magical disease or infection: if you get tetanus from stepping on a rusty nail, taking the nail out isn't going to cure you.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  10. Newcomb

That interview left me with more questions than I had before. Like:

OK...

So I guess you can learn to understand it, but not speak it? But you can "fake it" well enough to fool the (presumably powerful) enchantments guarding the Chamber of Secrets.

Do you think, if Harry had a snake friend that he talked to all the time, that he might come to understand parseltongue on his own independent of the horcrux?

11. Nogan

Nogan First Year

I would imagine it's only possible to learn to understand Parseltongue when it's spoken by a human, not by an actual snake.

12. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

I think that's the nickname Marshall uses for Lily in 'How I Met Your Mother' as well... never heard it before that.

Can anyone make an educated guess on when Colour Change Charms would be taught at Hogwarts? I don't think Harry (or any other student, for that matter) casts one until his O.W.L exam in the books, but that seems a little late, considering he was learning borderline mind-altering spells (i.e. Cheering Charms) during his third year lessons.

Not that there's much logic to my feelings on that, but it just doesn't sound right as a fifth year spell.

EDIT: My bad, looks like Hermione casts a variation of this in their first year - seems like she was reading ahead, though.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  13. anvyl

anvyl Third Year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5cEuwrRMdk

sorry for the bad transcription, i just typed as i watched the video and didn't do any editing.

"I wouldn't say that i based any of these women on any specific women that i knew, but Hermione is an exageration of me. So Hermione did come from a very deep place inside of me. I was very insecure, ehm still am quite insecure in a lot of ways, but i was a very insecure person for longer than i'd like to admit."
    CUT
    "And i think, writing about the time in Hermiones life that I write about, growing from childhood into womanhood, literally, because when we finish the book she is eighteen, I think it brought back to me how difficult it is. So much is expected of you as you become a woman, and often you are asked to sacrifice a part of you in becoming a girl i would say. Hermione doesn't. She doesn't play the game if you like. "
    CUT
    "From the first moment that i spoke to Emma i just thought 'oh christ'. I did because you know, who knew who [sic] they were going to cast as Hermione. I was more worried about Hermione than i was about anyone else. I thought you know you going to get a girl and put her in glasses and then, you know, cause that shows she's clever; how many times have we seen that happen? And i spoke to Emma on the phone and she was very young, i think she was ten, and i thought you are going to be able to play a young girl who is bright and with conviction becasue that is who you are."
    CUT

full video i think : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnb-XIZwbY0
    interestingly enought at around minute two there is a part that could be interpreted as the power he knows not, specifically not the power to love, but the fact that he was loved as a child.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  14. Newcomb

What are the rules of the Room of Requirement? It seems like one of those things that Rowling wasn't quite clear on herself. I've seen it used in fanfic to be essentially the same as a holodeck, able to recreate any environment, indoors, outdoors, whatever, as well as animated, interactive people.

What do y'all think about how it works, though? Can it turn into anything? Does that thing have to be in the person's mind, or can the Room extrapolate? Does the Room of Hidden things work kind of like a repository for any non-environmental objects a person might wish for? For example, when Harry first uses it, asking for a place to practice and train, do the things like the Foe-Glass and the Defense texts have to be "available" in the Room's inventory, or can it just conjure them up? Could Harry have taken those books outside with him?

What about the passageway to the Hog's Head? I doubt the Hog's Head existed when the Room was built, so it seems like it can do that kind of thing on its own. Where else might the Room be able to "exit" to?

I'm looking for a range of opinions; I'm going to use the Room in my fanfic and I want to have a solid handle in my own head about what it's allowed to do.

15. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

I'd like to think that the Room can only "conjure" up things that are actually in the Castle - at least when it comes to magical items like the Foe-Glass, or even textbooks. Objects of that level of magical complexity being Conjured at all sounds fishy. I reckon it can pull off a cushion or bathroom on its own, but definitely not food - possibly Summoned from the kitchens?

Perhaps (in respects to 'non-magical' objects and the Room's dimensions) the creator(s) enchanted the Room to 'learn' from successive users? So even when a person paces along the portrait with a vague outline a demand, the Room can indeed extrapolate in light of its past encounters. Then again, the original plan would have suffered from having no visitors, so maybe just walking past Barnabas once is enough for the Room to 'learn'?

16. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

Does a physical description of the Resurrection Stone exist?

17. Newcomb

From Deathly Hallows:

So: black, small enough to fit in a Snitch, symbol of the Deathly Hallows etched on the surface, uneven crack in the middle.

18. Newcomb

How much are you generally allowed to swear in a "T" rated story on FF.net? Can you get away with the occasional "fuck" for emphasis?

19. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, probably. They don't censor stories for language as a rule, so unless you actually have multiple people report you nothing's going to happen.

20. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I was just going through my favourites on FFN randomly, and I stumbled across Bungle in the Jungle again. Does anyone know if JBern's ever going to write a sequel to "The Lie I've lived?" Or any more fanfiction at all? Also, has anyone read his original stuff? Is it worth purchasing?