1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

Do we know what happend to Trelawney once Umbridge took over as headmistress? After all she did want to throw her out of the castle but Dumbledore overruled her with his power as headmaster, did she was forced to leave after he fled?

2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Wasn't the whole reason Harry and Voldemort's wands brothers because they both had one of Fawks' feathers as their core? Or am I remembering that wrong?

3. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

It stands to reason that she would have made Trelawney leave, but I'm pretty sure it's never mentioned. Umbridge was probably too busy trying to deal with the Weasleys' products and to fire Firenze and Hagrid. Mmmh, it does create a plot bunny of Trelawney leaving the school and Voldemort learning the prophecy from her.

Yes, their wands were brothers because their cores came from the same animal. That's why they did the Priori Incantatem in GoF, because you can't have brother wands fighting directly against each other.

4. The.Snorting.Hat

The.Snorting.Hat Second Year

High Score:
    If I remember it correctly, Dumbledore intervenes and tells Umbridge that she can fire teachers but can't make them leave the castle, and then McGonagall takes her back upstairs. Then when Dumbledore leaves, Hogwarts seals the office, so Umbridge doesn't have the actual authority of headmaster/headmistress, so she can't throw people away? Trelawney was the least of her troubles at that point anyways.

Also, that plot bunny won't work because Trelawney doesn't remember giving out true prophecies. Case in Point: Book 3.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Well, the later Harry Potter books ignored a lot of actual school stuff because, ya know, Harry gets into trouble and shit, and that's more fun and important to talk about.
    But theoretically for normal school time, since she's the head of the house for Gryffindor, I imagine they had frequent encounters about life in the dormitory, the transfiguration classes (which only had 20 students or so in a class, so that's fairly good teacher/student ratio to have an actual connection) and Harry admired her ethics.
    So I would think, outside Molly Weasley, McGonagall was the only mother/grandmother figure Harry had. Of course he got pissed that some lowlife spit on his granny. :p

5. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

Yes, I was talking after Umbridge became headmistress, which the actual question was about. I didn't think about the office not opening for her, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have been enough to deny her the authority of headmistress given to her by the Minister himself.

As to the bunny, Voldemort broke a Memory Charm on Bertha Jorkins to learn about Barty and the Tournament. There is no reason to think he wouldn't be able to find the memory of the prophecy deep in her mind. Actually, Dumbledore is quite sure he would do it, that's the main reason he kept Trelawney at Hogwarts.

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    He probably could get it out of her if he tried, but does he know that it was Trelawney who made the prophecy? If he did, you'd think he'd have got Crouch to interrogate/kidnap her. Or just grab her after the coup in DH, because she's certainly back at Hogwarts for the finale, and I doubt she was capable of going into hiding for the year, so she was probably there all along.

7. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Well, Snape heard the prophecy when trying to get a school position. Even if he didn't know who she was, it's not a rocket science to figure that when school gets a new divination teacher immediately after that.

8. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I feel like your giving JK more credit than you should. Along with several other people that's posted recently. I mean I don't discredit your idea but the handling if that entire thing has too many open ends.

9. Shinysavage

High Score:
    But does Voldemort know that Snape was listening in on a job application? If so, then there's also Quirrel!mort to consider - in-universe, I mean, there's the obvious "JK hadn't thought about Trelawney yet".

@Zombie: probably, yes, but "JK didn't think about it" isn't that interesting an answer. I can see Snape not thinking to mention that he'd overheard the prophecy during a job interview at first, then not wanting to mention it after Voldemort's return, and Voldemort not considering the context of Snape's spying important. Or, it's genuinely impossible to make a Seer recall the prophecy they've made, without some external method like the Penseive, or the prophecy orbs. Or, of course, Voldemort is crazy/stupid and doesn't consider an obvious route to the full prophecy.

10. The.Snorting.Hat

The.Snorting.Hat Second Year

High Score:
    Or, it's also possible that Snape had no idea Dumbledore was taking job interviews. Since he was a newbie Death Eater, he was probably supposed to follow Dumbledore around and do some spy things. So what happens? Dumbledore gets into Hog's Head, Dumbledore gets in a private room, and when Snape listens, someone with high and rough voice (Trelawney's voice was different while giving prophecy) telling Dumbledore what sounds like a prophecy. Before our boy Snape can investigate this, or even finish listening properly, Aberforth arrives and kicks him out. So Snape would have had no idea at the time.

11. TheTycat

TheTycat Third Year

High Score:
    While I don't think you'll find an easy answer in canon, it's possibly just a matter of priority. Voldemort was still disembodied, and he presumably wanted the Philosopher's Stone more than he wanted the prophecy at that moment. Trelawney doesn't remember her own prophecies, and IIRC the only case of breaking similar magical memory loss (Obliviate) involved Voldemort torturing Bertha Jorkins. There's no way Quirrel could have done that to Trelawney without people noticing.

Another important detail to remember is that the prophecy orb had initials on it of the seer who made it, so Voldemort almost certainly knew it came from Trelawney given his spies in the Ministry regardless of whether Snape informed him of the job interview.

12. Nikarell

Nikarell Squib

I don't think Umbridge threw Trelawney out of the castle, if she did, the Seer'd be dead.

Why? Because Voldemort knows her identity (the orb in the DoM) and, even if the prophecy isn't even part of her mind in a subconscious level anymore, he'd have tried to obtain it, torturing Trelawney into insanity and killing her at the end.

Even if the dark lord cannot obtain any information from her, her fate is pretty much sealed.

13. Nikarell

Nikarell Squib

Where was Remus Lupin the day James and Lily died? (The full moon in October 1981 was the 13th)

14. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Leaving aside the question of whether JK would have checked that, they thought he might be a traitor, so probably wasn't getting invites to Godric's Hollow at all. Possibly, depending on how widespread that belief was, he might have been undercover with the werewolves, the way he was for some of OotP and HBP.

15. Nikarell

Nikarell Squib

It's a possibility i'll take into consideration, because I want to write something different than the "it was the full moon, guys" cliché and I'm actually looking at the dates of the full moon.

16. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

My personal headcanon is that the Potters kept the secret of Godric's Hollow on a need to know basis. Lupin wasn't essential to the plan, so he didn't know.

Remember, this was a dark time where you weren't sure of who you could trust. The person who leaves home might not come back, or return entirely different. Off hand, there's polyjuice, love potions and imperius which can impose one's will on a victim. No doubt Voldemort had even more ways.

17. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Also, I hope everyone realizes this because it's actually shocking: Lupin and Sirius might have a life outside of the Potters. OH MY GOD! Blasphemy! It's honestly begun to annoy me how people expect Lupin and Sirius to just abandon anything they might aspire to to service two people they know.

18. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

What the hell do you mean the Potters aren't the center of the universe? Get the fuck out of here.

19. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fite me. The Potter's were so irrelevant before they had Harry. All because Lily got knocked up in December.

20. Nikarell

Nikarell Squib

Actually, I wanted to write a chapter describing what were some characters (Dumbledore, Hagrid, Sirius, Snape, Wormtail and Remus) doing that day.

I needed to know why (probably) Remus wasn't around to write his part.