1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Hunger Games - Peeta Centric

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by I Burn Water, Mar 10, 2015.

1. I Burn Water

I Burn Water Seventh Year

So, due to the utter heart wrenching awesomeness that is The Asking Price. I think we can all agree that we need more Peeta centric fics in our lives. I know there is already a hunger games thread here, but I thought a separate thread dedicated to this specific sub section would be better for future people trying to recover from TAP. Post 'em if you you've got 'em.

All the best,
    IBW

2. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I almost made a thread asking for the same thing, but I sort of figured I might as well repurpose this one.

I'd even broaden the search to merely any AU with Peeta as the main driving force. Some of my favorite fics involve Peeta as a lone Victor, and I'd love to find more of them.

3. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its been a while since I've read a Hunger Games fic, but I thought Peeta was that annoying whiney shit?

4. CrackedMind

In some fics he can be. In the actual books, he's not particularly whiny- in the movies, he definitely comes off as that more than a few times. In the books, he compliments Katniss well in that they both understand the theatrics of the Games in different ways. Peeta knows how to play the crowds and the Capital, can charm them; that's pretty self-evident in all of the interviews he does before and after the Games. Him lying about Katniss being pregnant is a particularly masterful move.

Katniss understands that the show isn't just the pageantry- the Games are the ultimate show, and so she plays up the romance angle in the first book for that very reason. Peeta obviously feels a little betrayed, but I don't think he comes across as whiny in the second book. If anything, there's a definitive air of resignation.

There's a lot of layers to his character too, and I've definitely read great fics focused on him.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think you're supposed to link those. ;)

I'm not a big Hunger Games fan (too much romance, even if it was plot relevant and therefore not as bad as most YA series)... but I read pretty much everything FernWithy wrote in the 'verse.

And I think I liked her fics better than canon Hunger Games. But again, I wasn't a huge fan, so YMMV there.

Here's a DLP thread I made on the Haymitch centric stories, I rated them 4.5/5. Some of them involve Peeta.
    https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=27352

House of Cards by Fernwithy is in Peeta's POV, as is the Tesserae Coalition. However I'm almost certain that both are part of the above series of stories, and I can't remember if there's anything you need to know from those before reading these.

I don't think so. Fernwithy almost always writes things to fit within canon, so you should be able to just read the two Peeta ones and move on if you want.

6. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

dno if it's quite what you're looking for but:

When the Moon Fell in Love with the Sun
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8440874/1/When-the-Moon-Fell-in-Love-with-the-Sun

apparently takes inspiration from a Norwegian fairy tale. it's not in Peeta POV but it is an AU where Katniss never competed and Peeta emerged victorious from the games. it mostly deals with the aftermath of Peeta being the resident celebrity and he asks Katniss to come live with him.

Katniss being near emotionally oblivious thinks he just wants a new maidservant.

it's pretty romance-focused but it's a slow-burn sorta thing so i didn't find it too jarring. there are several points where you wanna smack katniss over the head, but i had that reaction when i read the series, so that wasn't much different for me.

7. CrackedMind

Fernwithy is by far my favorite author in the fandom, and I devoured that Haymitch series. That's ideally what I would want in a Peeta story- because I feel like without Peeta would probably go down that route. He seems like the sort who could become extremely bitter extremely quickly. I haven't read either of those Peeta stories though, so thank you for the recs.

I'm scouring the Hunger Games stories I like to try to find some good ones. The one @throwawyy mentioned is pretty solid (actually what sparked my initial request, just based off of how they describe Peeta's victory in the first chapter) but the romance drags on a little bit. Katniss is really oblivious, and it kind of gets grating.

I'll edit in some links in a little while, after I reread them for a quick quality check.

8. fire

fire Order Member

Any luck, guys? @CrackedMind throwaawy

Just finished The Asking Price myself, and am now hungering for another good Peeta-centric fic... which doesn't seem to exist, to be honest.

9. CrackedMind

I wish I could say that I found anything matching Fernwithy's Haymitch series in quality, just with Peeta as the protagonist. Ive gotten on a recent Hunger Games binge primarily because of your post Fire, but it's only old mainstays that I've reread that might fit your criteria.

These first couple of stories are all from Aimmyarrowhigh. Most of her stories are pretty decent, though some have a bit of slash-tint to them. I can't say I remember any of it being explicit, just a weird undertone you sometimes get with an author who can't always clearly write the differences between two guys being friends and two guys being in a relationship. I digress- none of the stories linked below have those elements, however.

Peeta Mellark's Five Favorite Things to Bake: Peeta Mellark is ninety-six years old and the most beloved person in the Coal Estate, which was once – a long time ago, now – known as District 12.

Pure is light smut, from what I remember- but I also remember really liking how the author portrays Peeta's POV. It's set in between the HG and CF, and it's solid.

Dustwriter has some decent stories, though they tend to lean more towards hurt/comfort.

Panem's Daughter: An AU where Snow's daughter is named Katniss (and that's really the only similarity between the two) forces Peeta, the recent victor of the 74th Games, to live with her. The story is okay and a good time waster.

A Year With No Victor: Another AU where Clove and Katniss basically switch places, with Clove being from 12 and Katniss 2. I remember enjoying it, but it's intentionally a tragic story and it gets close to being a bit too much.

It's biggest downside, and the downside of most of Dustwriter's stuff, is that Peeta is always too... good. I wish I could find a story where Peeta doesn't magically get through the whole of the games with not a kill to his name. All of these stories are decent, but none really blew me away.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  10. Tempest

Tempest Third Year

High Score:
    This is one of my favourite fics in the fandom, and my favourite Peeta-centric fic. It doesn't have much action, but offers a lot in character development category. I especially like the fact that Peeta doesn't automatically forgive Haymitch after the events of Mockingjay. Or he is not the always forgiving one between Katniss and Peeta.

Someone To Watch Over Me, My Last Breath, Come Rain or Come Shine by ArthursCamelot.

So this triology is a canon re-telling (but not in the usual way) from Katniss' POV. It has some fluff (especially in the second story) but it wasn't a huge bother for me, as it didn't mean no action. This Peeta is neither 'the ultimate good guy' nor 'the badass he was meant to be'. He was nicely balanced. Peeta had a lot of moments, but it didn't push Katniss out of the spotlight.

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This fic makes me angry. As in, it actually upsets me with how it is written. The author is just infuriating. The premise she's created is actually very interesting. Peeta wins the Games, returns and claims Katniss in his own sweet way. I enjoyed that and how the first few chapters went about it. But then it ground to a halt, some ten chapters ago, and never moved past that point.

I've read all posted chapters, and skipped vast majority of what's written and the worst part is that I haven't missed anything. I have never seen a more bloated, incessantly talking and repeating itself writing style. 95% of the wordcount is either empty, pointless prose or literally a repetition of a character's thoughts, almost down to a word, unchanged and unaltered. The same fairy tales get repeated over and over, the same stories about parents/grandparents get retold endlessly, Katniss goes through the exact same mood swings and retardation checks that take dozens of thousands of words to repeat each time.

This goes on for literally hundreds of thousands of words. There is no change. No progress, just the same thing, repeated again and again to infinity and bloating the wordcount to ridiculous levels with useless drivel. These are all massive introspection chapters with little to no actual events happening, where the character's thoughts are an endless circle that keep going around and around and repeating itself almost word by word.

I enjoyed the premise set a lot, so I've eagerly awaited to see how it progresses. It doesn't. For all the 350k+ words of it, perhaps 10k are actual plot, and the last we saw of it was before chapter, say, chapter 6.

That is my main, but by no means only, problem with this fic. Then we come down to the plot itself.

It suffers from the anime effect, where the main conflict, the only thing stopping the storyline from literally ending then and there, is the two main protagonists being too retarded to say a single straight sentence to each other to solve one of the most retarded misunderstandings I have seen to date.

Katniss thinks Peeta loves someone. She continues to think that despite all the devotion Peeta shows. At first, this is sorta frustratingly cute. You want to give her a bonk on the head to snap her out of it. But it never stops. She keeps thinking the same thing, repeating the same thoughts from back in chapter 2 when Peeta first gave her food in chapter 14 when they're fucking grinding against other, outright kissing and getting off.
    Peeta keeps letting her know in a dozens different ways every time they speak. 'Katniss is just a blockhead', some might say. It goes well beyond that. Peeta literally explained to her a unique situation between him and his 'mystery girl' (that was of course Katniss herself) that could not possibly have happened twice.

It has reached the point where Katniss wants to sort of go all out relationship, sex all day every day, dozen kids by 18 kind of all out, and has pretty much told Peeta as much, but she doesn't because she still thinks he loves someone else.

At which point Peeta, who was waiting for her to love him before telling her he loves her, goes and springs the happy news that it was her all along, right?

Wrong. Because that would end the story, and thus deprive the author of the place he/she uses to puke all his/her fantasies about wild fauna and all but plagiarized fairy tales.

Which is my last major gripe with this. Excessive and incessant use of wild animal analogies. It's come to the point where they almost never actually use names anymore, or think of themselves as people. The way the talk is impossible to picture conducted by real people, or even said out loud.

But the premise is so good. The fic could have been completed by now, sitting comfortably at 100k words, and been a gem.

Instead it's a puke bag of endless repetitions, pointless fauna analogies and retarded characterization.

I'm glad I got through it. Even with liberal skipping, it was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.

Edit: I kind of forgot to mention Katniss' complete nonchalance, and gratitude towards, her night-time visitor, who is basically a dude who waits until she has slept before slipping in her bed and sleeping, himself. That is presumably Peeta, but Katniss is convinced it's not Peeta and has ruled everyone else possible out. Even so, she's not at all horrified that from her first night there, some random dude is sleeping in her bed supposedly without her knowledge or consent.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  12. CrackedMind

You hit the nail on the head. That first chapter was so good, especially the description of Peeta's games- I wish I could read that story, instead of the one we got.