1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP I didn't sign up for this by erimies - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Dark Minion, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: I didn't sign up for this
    Author: erimies
    Rating: T
    Genre: Humor/Drama
    Fandom: Naruto
    Pairing: None so far
    Chapters: 6
    Words: 30,185
    Updated: December 5, 2015
    Published: August 14, 2014

Summary:
    Time travel, the ultimate hoax to cheat in life and turn bad odds to your advantage. Or, it would be if Naruto had any idea what he was doing. Trying to save lives he holds dear, he somehow ended up as an international S-class criminal with a flee-on-sight order. Oops.

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10617970/1/I-didn-t-sign-up-for-this

It starts like many Harry Potter timetravel stories. During a final battle, Naruto and the Kyuubi are sent back into their younger selves - with Naruto at around three years old. Once really realising the situation Naruto starts to use the change to change the shinobi world and unite everyone. Of course no adult would listen to a three year old toddler.

As a kid Naruto befriends Sasuke and then the rest of his age group, while his adult persona befriends Hinata's father and Itachi. And he sends out clones to influence the other villages as well.

I haven't read any Naruto timetravels before, so I can't really compare it. It imho starts weak, but gets better, especially hitting a central Naruto plot point. We see scenes from the first years in the past (Naruto age 3 to 7), until fourth year the situation drastically changes.

The story isn't that far in, Naruto plotwise and considering the update rate I doubt it will ever get finished. I like it so far, but there are some problems. The episode-like style isn't that good, but it's a way to cover the early years. At least in the beginning the writing doesn't match the age of the children (they start as three year olds), and some events and persons indicate the author doesn't follow a thought-out timeline (i.e. at first Itachi seems to be way younger than canon indicates, and four years later he is either ANBU or ROOT).

It is listed as humor, but it's not really that humorous or a pardody, just the usual canon!Naruto scenes. The drama settles in with chapter four.

For now I like it as guilty pleasure or perhaps even more, but as mentioned above, the slow update rate might kill it off.

3.4/5 for now - rounded down.

2. Balthanon

Balthanon Squib

High Score:
    I read this shortly after it started and I've kept up with it regularly as new chapters were released. It isn't the best Naruto time travel fic that I've read, but it's a long way from the worst too. I enjoy the comedy elements in the story-- little Naruto is a bit ridiculous in this, but it's a good ridiculous generally-- and the overall story is good. I've enjoyed a fair number of the twists based in history, if only because Naruto isn't curb stomping every bad thing that happens in Konoha history but is still making sizable changes. The relationship with some of the other characters are fairly interesting as well.

4/5 for me. It's been worth reading as it comes out, has competent writing and the humor elements make me chuckle at least.

3. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I decided to trawl for some older entries in the Library and step out of my comfort zone a bit since I wouldn't typically go for anything classed as Humour. And this is one that justifies my avoidance, to be honest.

Especially the entire opening scene where a Naruto who has just time travelled from the Fourth Shinobi World War decides to repeatedly prank Konoha while disguising himself as a red-headed (because Uzumaki) loon called Asura (because Asura)... and pretends that Kurama is his split personality/brother which I don't think comes up again for the rest of the story.

I carried on anyway because I know you can't treat these kind of stories too seriously but things didn't improve from there I just felt bombarded with annoyances from start to finish. The only positive I've come away with is that I do kind of want to see a story where Naruto and Kurama return to the past for once and see how things go from there.

So yeah, not a fan of this one at all.

2/5