1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Ice Princess by Luan Mao T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Paradise, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Title: Ice Princess
    Author: Luan Mao
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance
    Library Category: Romance
    Pairings: Harry/Daphne
    Summary: Building a romance from a fanon cliche turned on its head.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5864749/1/Ice-Princess

I really like this fic it was good and I am rather surprised it is wasn't put up for review before seems right up DLP's alley anyway go check it out I give it a 4/5 for a original plot and a new look at Daphne.

2. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

It's a pretty old fic and has been discussed in Almost Recommended for quite a while. It's there in the almost recommendable archive.

I liked the fic when I first read it and have gone back and reread it time and again. It's got one of the few Harry/Daphne romances I can really stomach without it getting out of hand. The parody is spot on with the proliferation of the "Slytherin Ice Queen" shit at that time. Still, I'd give it no more than 3/5 because reasons. I agree with it remaining in Almost Recommended.

3. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

This one is just all over the place. The author stated that it was conceived as a parody and then turned into a romance. The problem is that it's lacking both humor and romance, not to mention characterization.

The parody, I guess, is supposed to lie in the reasoning behind Daphne's 'Ice Queen' persona:
    her evil father beat her as a baby, giving her brain damage, and now has plans to sell her to a brothel
    She's also plain-looking rather than hot. Instead of having wicked wit and offering to help Harry navigate his way through politics, Daphne has a total lack of personality. She's a fembot who can't express emotion or use contractions in speech. I guess that undermines the trope, but it doesn't make it funny or interesting.

Everyone else around Daphne and Harry is two-dimensional, and the fic veers straight into crack at the end, with the random deaths of two Professors and an absurd ending for Voldemort.

Maybe I just don't get the humor. But it seems to me like this is a fic that doesn't know whether it wants to be serious or absurd, so it settled on making a mess of everything.

2/5

4. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Pretty much this.

I read it ages ago and it struck me as one of the worst fics in the HP/DG part of the fandom. It tries too hard to parody the “ice queen” tropes and ends up with unfunny humor and a boring romance coming from a character whose only real character trait is absolute blandness.

1/5 trash.

5. zekses

zekses First Year

High Score:
    Same tbh. He has a lot of great funny fics but this one is just bad. 1/5 from me.

6. Arkhan

Arkhan Squib

High Score:
    For some reason I like it more than I should. It's kind of hard to write a long review for this one, because the story is quite simple. Nothing too fancy about the writing, the dialog or the description.

In the end I think it depend if you think the story if funny or not, and I thought this ''parody'' was funny enough to make me crack a smile.

So 3/5 for me

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I should shame Paradise for thinking this is worth wasting time on. I'd rather read Intent again than this shit, and Intent is barely passable as a decent story.
    Any time I see a summary that says X trope turned on its head I expect immediate disappointment. For that, I gave it 2/5 for meeting my minimum expectations.