1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP If I Ruled the World by EarnestScribbler - FR15 - DW/B:tVS

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Anya, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Guess what, we are supposed to rate the fucking story based on what it currently is, not on what it could be. So your 5 ways the author could screw it up are pretty much drivel.

I never thought ASCAL was good, so I can't really comment on your example.

Another point, is that the "Other Fandoms" area is pretty barren, nothing wrong with filling it up a bit.

And, it's not just your newness, it's the fact that you are the only person here holding that particular viewpoint, and as much sense as it may make in your head, popular opinion pretty much always wins. You're newness doesn't help either.

Also, how long you've been lurking doesn't really matter, it's whether people know/like you or not.

2. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

He's also suggesting a poor ass Muse song... and that annoys me more than his whining. Origin of Symmetry or nothing, biatch.

As for the fic in question; it's quite an interesting take on a crossover usually plagued by lameness. Certainly unique and I look forward to seeing where it leads.

3. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

I think I'm going to quote Tinn, here.
    This is about as embryonic as it gets.
    I would have posted Origin of Symmetry and Attero Dominatus but none of the song titles synced. I apologize, but they didn't fit the joke at hand.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The HP fandom has a plethora of fics, I completely support Tinn's assessment of that, when it is in regards to HP Fanfiction. It's a tad different for the other fandoms however.

Either way, can we stop this useless argument and leave the thread to reviewers?

It's really not that big of a deal, you acting all high and mighty - like people should listen to you, just got on mine and others nerves I guess.

5. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

A good story and an interesting idea; I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

6. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

This has been updated.

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

You just keep on telling yourself that. :awesome

/me goes off to read

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

There's not enough written to make a decent judgement, but here goes.

The premise is that Buffy's true personality, The Master (a psychotic, megalomaniac Timelord), has awoken in Buffy's body after she sacrificed herself in The Gift. And that's about it; nothing much else has happened in the 6 chapters since then. It's not that the pacing is slow (though it could be argued) it's just the chapters are so damnably small. A little bit happens in each chapter, but not enough to feel like there's much progress being made.

I can't say that the Buffy characters have been mis-handled, but that's because we haven't seen enough of them (again, because not much fic has been written). There's certainly nothing outstanding about the characterisations on display here. Willow, Tara, Dawn, and Spike are all pretty meh. The one exception is Buffy herself.

The Master in Buffy's body is written well, sort of. The biggest flaw is that he isn't evil. He's had several opportunities, but he hasn't murdered anyone yet. The Master loves killing people when they're in the way of his plans. Unfortunately it looks like EarnestScribbler is going for a watered down Master. I only hope there are no plans to make him an anti-hero, or a megalomaniac with a heart of gold, or do any kind of partial redemption bullshit. The Master is uncompromisingly ruthless, selfish, megalomaniacal, and murderous. The Master on display in this fic has shown a little ruthlessness, but that's it.

There isn't enough fic here to see what the author is doing. It could be awesome, but it isn't yet.

2.5/5 for now.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  9. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    I agree and disgaree with yak.

What was said about Master!Buffy seems right on, but the reading I got from it is that although the Master is in the driver's seat, aspects of Buffy remain. I don't get the feeling that the Master will be watered down or changed, but as of yet there hasn't been a need for real violence.

I think the Master can be subtle. How the Master came to be in Buffy's body, beating the odds again, even when his original plan went strange, shows the Master is more than mega-rages and the like.

The story is too short and not enough major progression has taken place to say either way, but I like the idea, and how Master!Buffy is written. 4/5.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010