1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

If J.K Rowling continued the Harry Potter series......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheRedSpeedster, Jan 9, 2016.

1. TheRedSpeedster

TheRedSpeedster Squib

High Score:
    I've come to the realization that i'm glad that Rowling didn't continue the series. At first I wanted maybe 1 or 2 more books to be published, but after dealing with Rick Riordans stubbornness to continue his Percy Jackson Universe series, i'm happy J.K didn't.

The Percy Jackson series was great, then when he released Heroes of Olympus I was excited because I actually wanted more. Although, after House of Hades I felt exhausted with the series. Than after Blood of Olympus I was straight up mad that I bothered with this series. When Rick announced more books to come out to continue the series I just screamed "ENOUGH!". Its a great world and the stories suck you in, but my god!

I don't know if i'm in the minority here.

So thank you J.K Rowling for not continuing the series, because I would have grown to find it bothersome.

2. Miner

Miner Order Member

Strong reaction there, bro.

Personally, I disliked Book 7, and since there already was a 19 yrs later at the end of that, it's hard to see a continuation. Unless it was next-Gen. And I don't like next-Gen. So I wouldn't have liked a continuation.

I guess we are in agreement.

3. TheRedSpeedster

TheRedSpeedster Squib

High Score:
    Would you have been able to stand a continuation if that whole "19 years later" thing never existed?

4. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

I've been reading the books again recently to prep for a story I'm working on, and I've noticed that even the ones I didn't particularly care for were better than I remembered. I also gained a new appreciation for how messed up fanfiction can make your interpretation of characters and the events in the books.

I'm just really not sure how she would continue it. Voldemort is dead and Harry isn't a student anymore. That doesn't leave you with loads of places to go. I guess you could make a detective style series about Harry, but that's not really what Harry Potter is about at its core. It would be an entirely different tone, and it certainly wouldn't be the trio working together anymore. It would feel far less like a continuation and more like an entirely different series.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I always thought that Harry should have died at the end of the series. In which case a continuation wouldn't have involved him, but... honestly, I never cared much either way about more books post-series.

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You started the title off like you wanted to ask a question, and then just went on about Percy Jackson.

Anyway, I'm fine with leaving Harry Potter where it is.

7. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Yeah... I think the problem is that some of us outgrew the series. I began reading the books when I was 11.

By the time Deathly Hallows came out... Eh. I didn't like it. It felt like the series had built up to something different than what we got, but I suppose it could've been worse. No more books, in my opinion.

A whole new fantasy series from Rowling, I'd probably check, though.

8. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

She might have been able to do a kind of "Harry goes to (Auror) university" trilogy thing, but I think without someone to keep him under some kind of overwhelmingly existential threat the way Riddle did, it may lack tension.

It would just be Harry going on to become one of the greatest wizards of all time with age. Interesting, perhaps, but not entertaining in the way it would need to be to maintain the themes of the original seven and have all the elements you need for the plot.

But HP was never something that remained entirely static to begin with, and honestly, perhaps the Percy Jackson author's mistake was trying to rehash the same formula too many times.

I would personally love if she took Harry in some darker, post-war direction where instead of mysticism and luck, he was forced to rely on his wits, skill, experience, etc., and she is doing a detective series right now (besides each of the HP books being a kind of self-contained mini-detective story).

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm glad that the story of Harry Potter has been left as it is. However, I would be very happy to see JKR writing other stories in the same universe.

10. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I'd put good money on JKR having already started these stories - perhaps even completed one or two - and leaving them to simmer until she has them perfected.

Nothing to support this idea, just a writer's hunch. It's what I'd do.

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But HP is being continued. Cursed Child is based on a story by JKR. Not a book, but it's still going to be part of canon, right?

12. Miner

Miner Order Member

That would depend on content. I still highly suspect "no", but I'll give JKR the benefit of doubt. Maybe she'll surprise me.

13. sildet

sildet Sixth Year

Honestly, I wouldn't be too excited (or at least not as excited as I would have been in 2008). I was one of those people that did not like the Horcrux angle. Additionally, after OotP, but before HBP, I discovered fan fiction, which showed me how much more could be done with the HP world. I still liked the last two books, but I only ever read them one time through.

14. Karinta

Karinta Sent Back to India

I honestly detest the idea of JKR writing anything else in that universe, because it instantly makes it "canon", and I think restricts possibilities for fanfiction.

15. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I've read books 1-6. Saw movie 7, but never touched book 7. I never will. It's garbage, and so is "19 years later" with bullshit romance. "Albus Severus Potter"....seriously? Whoever came up with that retarded name for his kid (Harry undoubtedly), his kid will forever be mocked and scorned by his classmates/workers in life. I'd kill myself if anyone ever named ME that. I hate next gen stories. They're just fucking retardation. Mostly stupid Rose/Malfoy lovesick stories that are basically Harry/Ginny garbage all over again. Makes me want to gag & throw up my lunch.

16. Mestre

Mestre Professor

Harry story should left has it is, the prologue destroyed the suspence for the next 19 years and a Detective Potter story wouldn´t be Harry Potter.

But I would love a Dumbledore and Grindelwald arch during their early years or a new character on the same universe.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  17. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wait, what? You refuse to read a whole book just because of one chapter? Just don't read that chapter if you detest it so much.

18. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

It isn't one chapter. It's the whole book I think is terrible. The ending is just more so (HP Voldemort fight included).

19. Stan

Stan Order Member

Yes, because declaring a book terrible without having read it is a brilliant idea.

Sometimes, I feel like people just parrot other posters' opinions and never have had an original thought in their lives.

20. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How do you know it's terrible if you haven't read it?