1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete If That Will Move Her by Winter_Wolf - K+ - A Song of Ice and Fire

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by SJCougfan, Feb 2, 2013.

1. SJCougfan

SJCougfan Squib

Title: If That Will Move Her
    Author: Winter_Wolf
    Rating: K+
    Genre: General/Romance (kind of?)
    Published: December 13, 2012
    Updated: January 3, 2013
    Words: 13,819
    Chapters: 3/3

Pairings: Robert Baratheon/Arya Stark

Summary: AU. After meeting Ned's Lyanna-lookalike daughter at Winterfell, Robert decides to put Cersei aside and take Arya to wife.

Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/591511/chapters/1064647
    Web-Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20130617131625/http://archiveofourown.org/works/591511/chapters/1064647

This three-shot caught my attention because of how unique the premise is. But despite this I was skeptical that this could be any good, because, well Robert/Arya? But this was well written, and plausible. I liked how it delved more into the political impacts of Robert's infatuation instead of just romance. My main critic is how rushed the ending seemed. Spreading the last chapter out into a fourth might have been a good idea.

4/5

Edit by Minion, July 28, 2016
    Dead link is dead. I added a webarchive link.
    If you know where to find another copy of the story, please inform the Library Staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2016
  2. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Isn't she like 10?

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

4. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

She was born in 289, most of the first book happens in 298. So 8 or 9, but the story itself states 14. I assume it's a tweak by the author.

With regards to the story itself, it was pretty well done. The writing was similar enough to the style of GRRM, as far as I remember it. I can't really speak as to the accuracy of Robert's actions in seeking to improve himself in fulfilment of a fifteen year infatuation, though. No obvious grammatical or spelling errors, far as I could tell.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  5. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

It's not like he has a lot of other ways to deal with his mid-life crisis.

6. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Groundskeeper

I generally don't read any ASOIAF fic, lack of them being one of the reason. But the other thing being, that whenever I read about these set of characters, any writing style other than GRR Martin's feels very weird to me. Just can't get into it.

On this fic, not only the last chapter, but whole of the fic felt too rushed. It just rebounded from one bombshell to another. Every one was out of character. I know Robert was very willful and reckless in books, but fuck this went to being stupidly immature. More like Robert Arryn's never ending cry of, 'make him fly'. I don't have too much problem with Arya's age being tweaked or him paired to Robert. But there should have been a bit of character given to her. There was no context at all because I don't expect character of a 10 year old girl to be same as 14 year one. Just her being stubborn and adventurous was not enough for me.

Tywin losing the battle like that, just summed it up for me.

2/5

7. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I read this a bit ago, and I liked the premise. This was way too rushed though, like many other short ASOIAF fics tend to be. The last chapter in particular felt like a nose dive in quality. 3/5

8. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Link doesn't work; looks like the author took it down.

9. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Thanks for the info. I edited the first post.