1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

If You Were The Last Man/Woman on Earth

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I was having an interesting discussion with my father today. On what to do if you where the last person on earth.

In this scenario something has happened where people have simply disappeared instantaneously. All facilities on earth are left working as they where and are unsupervised by people, and animals and plants are living as they are now.

I know that if I woke up and found that I was the last person on earth. The first thing I'd do is move from snowy New Hampshire to a nice warm location in California. I'd pimp out a tractor trailer and set it up so I could store fuel, food, and have a nice entertainment area. I'd then drive to my dream location.

I hadn't even thought of this but I was told that places like chemical plants and nuclear plants could cause terrible disasters in their areas if they weren't properly shut down. This could actually be a threat to someone living by themselves. This kind of preparation might take a few years to accomplish.

So if you found yourself as the last person on earth what would you do to survive?

How would you prepare to move or would you move from where you are now?

Are there places in the world you'd go?

Do you think that there would be any immediate threats that you have to look out for?

Is there a piece of human art, culture, or technology that you would want to preserve?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

I think I'd commit suicide.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly suicidal. I'm fairly well adjusted, and I like my private time. But think of how horrible being alone in the entire world would be. There would be no people to talk to, no intellectuals to meet. There would never be any new books, games, music, unless you make it yourself. Society as a whole would lose meaning with nobody to partake in it. Even for an introvert, it would be awful.

I'd explore some vices, maybe get high on anesthetic, and off myself.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd probably be less triggered about incorrect spelling and grammar.

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Same though. To the question, I'd probably string out on acid and never let myself come out. ;)

5. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

I'd probably do lots of drugs and lots of public masturbation.

The animals of course. The pets would probably be the worst. It'd be Mad Max: Cuddles Edition in pet society. The lucky will die in the initial bloodbath and those that survive would become hardened killers.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Can it be considered public if there are no people left to comprise the public?

7. TafkarTheRed

TafkarTheRed Muggle

High Score:
    I would probably spend most of my time reading or exploring abandoned buildings. It's not incredibly interesting, but I think it would be a decent way to pass the time and help keep me sane.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  8. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

What a horrifying thought! I mean, what's the point of whipping your dick out if there's no one around to see it and laugh? Thanks for ruining my fantasy Xiph0.

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Does make me wonder if Will Smith's character in I Am Legend ever dumped some baby batter off a skyscraper.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I thought of all sorts of things I could or would do... then realized they were all based on one thing.

Trying to figure out if I was actually the only person left in the world. My first instinct would be to set up some form of radio/communication/something in a larger city where I'd expect other people to gravitate towards. But at the same time I'd be suspicious/wary as hell and make sure I was properly armed.

Once I was confident I'd be able to 'check in' later to see if anyone else existed I'd start looking into exploration and concerns to worry about (regarding nuclear or chemical plants or whatever else). Sure maybe I should do that first, but in all honesty I wouldn't.

I'd probably try to find some kind of sad meaning to life at that point, like using the fanciest time capsule ever to preserve what I could of humanity.

But... humans are social creatures. I expect I wouldn't be able to keep it together mentally past those initial goals. Everything would seem... pointless.

11. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

He couldn't even work his moves on a mannequin. I doubt he was in any state to jerk one off of a skyscraper lol.

In all seriousness, if I knew with certainty that I was the last human on Earth, I'd probably gather all the military grade weapons I could find and have a blast. Just start blowing shit up. Maybe try to learn how to pilot a plane and fly a couple of jets here and there. I might even fly to all the places I've wanted to visit. Once I've had my fun, I'd proceed to OD on a cocktail of recreational drugs.

12. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

I would adopt cats.

13. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ^ Yeah, I'd probably just wind up adopting abandoned pets and fucking around for a while, until I get some terrible disease I can't treat myself or have some kind of fatal accident because there's no doctors or something.

14. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

You lot are being very positive that all the plants just keep working and don't have some kind of error that causes any multitude of catastrophic failures.

I'd probably be dead inside two weeks, and at that point, I'd welcome it.

15. Jordi

Jordi Squib

Find myself a pair of cuddly vicious dogs for companionship and try to find other people. How would one know they were the only person alive?

This reminds me of a japanese made movie where the only japanese left tried to find survivors, going along the full lenght of the american coast, then he stopped to see the sights at Machu Pichu, sounds familiar to anyone?

16. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'd spend my life roving between libraries and supermarkets, mindlessly consuming food and media until my death.

So basically nothing would change, only I'd be a bit glummer doing it.

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

First thing is first.

Loot electronic stores for HDD's and download ALL THE MEDIA before the Internet shits itself.

18. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd probably source the nearest generator, grab a VR headset and let my body waste away while dungeon delving in The Elder Scrolls: VR.

19. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I mean, if I still had my pet I'd force myself to live as long as they're alive. Don't have the heart to die and leave my cute adorable dog to fend for itself.

20. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Sixth Year DLP Supporter

This one?

As for me, I'd probably die pretty quickly after everyone else did. I feel like I'm the kind of person that would be the first to die in a horror film due to incompetence. Maybe I'd succumb to an illness, get food poisoning, or just get stuck somewhere and be unable to extract myself, but I just know that I wouldn't survive for very long.

In the time I had before this happened, I'd probably visit the zoo and free some animals beforehand. Not the lions or crocodiles though.