1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Ignition by The Modern Sorcerer

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Trig, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Title: Ignition
    Author: The Modern Sorcerer
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Suspense
    Library Category: General
    Pairings: None
    Summary: Harry Potter's temper has always been rather dangerous, but it's not until things start bursting into flames that people realise exactly how fiery it is. And now that the fire's been lit, Harry isn't all that willing to let it be smothered again, in fact he's all for letting it burn. And should the Ministry or Voldemort stand in his way? Well... fire solves everything.
    Link: Link

Fifth year divergence.

Yes, this is the answer to a 'fic challenge'. Yes, it has cliches, mostly the fire elemental part (although that's been fleshed out at least) and Dumbledore appearing incompetent and manipulative. I still think this story deserves a shot, because the writing is really good. I can't exactly pinpoint why, but this story is really enjoyable to read.

The writing in general is incredibly well balanced, in my opinion. It does tread the line between description, dialogue and everything else really well. In addition to that it's actually clever and witty, I found myself genuinely chuckling a few times. I really like the character of this particular Harry Potter as well, I think his voice is surprisingly close to canon with a few additional changes. Sirius is so far the second most developed characters, which adds up to an enjoyable Harry and Sirius relationship.

Again, this story has big flaws. Some of you are going to rightfully and instantly close the window at certain points.

Still, this is some seriously enjoyable writing and I'm looking forward to where this story is going. It's the first story featuring elementals that's not trash so far, so I thought I'd put it up here.

3/5

2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah, it's not good, but a guilty pleasure. The clichés are huge and the story comes across like just another indy!Harry. Everyone abandoned Harry on Dumbledore's order, Hedwig was captured and caged by the Order and almost starved. Only Amelia Bones believes him when Harry contacted her after the Dementor attack.

And there are further issues. There are scenes where the story isn't consistent in itself, i.e. in one and the same chapter Harry forwards a Ministry letter he actually burned a few paragraphs before. Though that seems to get better in later chapters.

It actually is partially well written, but I really wouldn't recommend it for people, who can't stand the typical indy!Harry elements.

Yeah, I might follow this story for a while, because I want to know where the author is eventually going with the 'burning things', but it is nothing more than a guilty pleasure.

A generous 3/5

3. morningbeauvoir

morningbeauvoir First Year

High Score:
    What's nice about the beginning of the first chapter is that it pulls you in nicely... unfortunately what follows is a little too grim for me. There's what feels to be the set-up for an independent!Harry fic, and the only nice thing I can say about it is that it's written better than these usually are.

Although I do like the pyromancy element.

How does Harry know who Amelia Bones is?

I agree with Dark Minion - this isn't likely to be anything more than a guilty pleasure.

3/5

4. MsCalypso

MsCalypso First Year

I'm generally not feeling this story. It's almost like the plotholes are staring back at me. Alright yes, it is somewhat decently written but it feels like I've read this story before. And I have, over and over again in all those other Indy!Harry fics that come out by the dozen.

Manipulative Dumbledore. Check.
    Abandoning Harry for petty and somewhat superficial reasoning. Check.
    Those same people that are fighting for the light side suddenly turn cruel. Check. (yes, I'm talking about the starving owl.)

And pyromania? Seriously? Wasn't that over before it began?

Okay I may be a bit harsh here but the negatives are definitely outwaying the positives.

Although, judgmental me is being a bit hypocritical, I just know I will read it further because it doesn't actually bore me to death. And yes, I'll admit I chuckled a few times too.

It's a guilty pleasure fic, but only just. I'll probably forget it as soon as I've finished the last chapter. 2/5 because I will actually continue reading.

5. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

The name screams slash, yet the fic explicitly states no slash in its ANs. Will keep an eye on it just for that reason.