1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Illusions of Grandeur by Kanathia - M - Supernatural

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Sacrosanct, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

Title: Illusions of Grandeur
    Author: Kanathia
    Rating: M (the author says so but no sex or gore so I'd say its more like a PG)
    Genre: Crossover
    Fandom: Supernatural
    Status: WIP but updated regularly with nicely-sized chapters
    Library Category: The Alternates

Summary: Angels, demons, and Winchesters have made it to the top of Harry's shit list, but first impressions are rarely right, and a glass of scotch can sooth anyone's temper. Starts mid season 3 and spans several seasons.

Link (ff.net)

Can it be true?! A good HP/SPN crossover that doesn't have ANY slash?! Indeed it is! While its not DLP level writing its definitely decent, no blaring cliches, pet peeves or spelling/grammar mistakes. Updated regularly. Published 28th of Jan, last updated 24th of March.

One thing that I really like about this is that at the start you have no idea how Harry got to the SPN universe, you get dropped in the deep end so to speak. The camaraderie with Gabriel is a nice touch too.

Harry's personality is a wee bit cliche-sassy-rich-guy but not horribly so, Dean and Sam's personality's are almost spot on.

Doesn't follow the SPN plot to the letter but at the same time it doesn't completely abandon it.

I give it a tentative 4. Its starting to come to the end of season 5 now, which is when all the good stuff happens. If the writer doesn't handle the ending well I'd make it a 3.5, a Recycling Bin find.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013
  2. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

I read through the story, and I did not find it to be particulary good. I think it´s an rather average story overall. 3/5 from me.

3. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I honestly can say that I know nothing about SPN, so this story makes absolutely no sense to me. No explanation of motives, no back-stories, no introduction, no nothing. Also Harry is fluctuating like wild snake penis, in one minute he is this super powerful guy next minute he is slammed down by everybody... makes no sense. 2/5

4. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I like that there aren't any back stories or introductions. There aren't any needed for the supernatural characters and finding out what is up with Harry is part of the plot.

Just because everyone's motives, character and abilities aren't exposed in the first few chapters doesn't mean it's a bad fic or that it doesn't make sense.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that it's definitely not meant to be read by someone who doesn't know supernatural. It's assumed at the start that you know the characters and the general plot from season 2

5. Tylendel

Tylendel Seventh Year

It's not library worthy; at best it should be in the almost recommended thread.

The author show no real imagination since the story is mostly a supernatural canon rehash. The inconsistency in Harry ability show a lack of planning or ability to keep up with a plan.

I agree that this fic is a good time* waster, but that's all.

1/5

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  6. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

Well, the story does almost everything wrong in a crossover but for some reason this bitching and moaning OC Harry can be entertaining. I don't really know why. Maybe because he feels like one of these grandpas in the Muppet show to me. I would say it's a 2/5.

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Supernatural? That US urban fantasy TV show with the not-pandering-to-middle-aged-women-at-all brooding male leads? I was wondering what the hell all of those "SPN" abbreviations scattered throughout the OP were. Super Power Ninjas? Special Programming Network? I had NFI. The first page of Google results didn't help either. A bit of clarity for those outside of that specific fandom [at least so we know to avoid it] would be good.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  8. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I wanted to like this story, but the only difference it has from the other supernatural crossovers is the lack of slash. (then again it's not a lack, more of a blessing).

This's the kind of a work that the author will continue canon rehash then abandon it when he/she/it comes to a point that he/she/it has to use creativity, which is clearly the biggest losing point of the story.

But gotta admit that no slash bit surprised me. Guilty pleasure at best and not library material. It's exactly like that Ezekiel fic. another HP/SPN crossover with pretty similar concept.

2.5/5

9. R. Daneel Olivaw

R. Daneel Olivaw Groundskeeper

3/5. Far too choppy. The start of it was far more interesting than the later parts of the story.

10. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

I... actually didnt know what SPN stood for. I thought it was some Power Rangers cross.

Edit: Read it. Good time waster. Nothing too special outside of that 2.5/5

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  11. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I was an avid Supernatural fan, during the Armageddon, and I didn't know what the fuck SPN stood for either. Who the fuck abbreviates Supernatural? Especially into SPN...

EDIT: Hmm...I kind of like this. Stress the 'kind of'. Everyone else has hit the nail on the head; there's no creativity, and Harry, despite being a 'big gunner', changes nothing at all. His powers aren't quite 'inconsistent', but the author does make him do dumb things for the sake of sticking to the show. Like the whole 'tackling' Sam thing when a snap of his fingers could've done the trick. This is a "Guilty Pleasure" fic. I'd put it in the Almost recommended thread.

EDIT: I take that back. Pretty inconsistent. He can feel presences, and yet he always gets blindsided.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  12. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=spn

13. yak

Thank you for proving the point, Castiel. There's no mention of Supernatural on the first page of un-personalised Google results.

14. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

You sure? It showed Supernatural as the second result for me in incognito-mode. And one result is from urbandictionary. Alternatively, see here and here (top right).

15. yak

Yes, I'm sure. None of those links appear in Incognito mode for me. Ctrl-f for "supernatural" gets me one hit as a possible alternate search query buried at the bottom of the page. There's no hint that it's referring to the TV series. That's using your Indian Google link.

The US version https://www.google.com/search?q=spn doesn't even find that. Ctrl-f for "supernatural" gets 0 results.

Maybe incognito mode isn't de-personalised. I thought it was, but could be wrong. Either way, SPN doesn't appear to be a well known abbreviation for the TV series outside of some fan circles.

16. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

Maybe. I use it all the time when discussing it with my friends, thought it was pretty common.

17. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

We just say 'Supernatural'.

18. Kanathia

Kanathia Muggle

Hmmm...

Isn't it odd when you stumble across something talking about you on the internet? Insanely so.
    Still, I accept criticism with grace.
    I would like to point out however that my story is 130 thousand words strong and still going even if it was small when this thread was apparently started. I have no intention of dumping it. In fact, I'll be wrapping it to an end soonish.
    I apologize to non Supernatural fans. I realize it's a bit jarring, especially at the beginning, but there was fair warning of that in the very first author's note. :/
    Defending done I shall now say that most of your comments, while not remotely supportive, did make me smile. Any publicity is good publicity as they say.
    I hope anyone who actually cares for HP/SPN fics will give it another try now that there's more to it. If not, cheers, and thanks for the initial read anyway.
    Ciao! :)

19. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I like this story a lot, personally. Recommended it in almostrecs,
    though. It's definitely a ymmv type of story. But it definitely gets points for not being slash or a hurt/comfort fic about Harry being a winchester.
    3.5/5 rounded up