1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP I'm Still Here by kathryn518 - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Prancatius, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I'm following the fic myself I'd give it a 3/5 seeing as it's one huge readable cliche. The author claims she's not bashing but the tones say otherwise many times. I might give it a higher rating if it moves a little faster and add "honor duels" to the huge list of cliches.

2. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

It features the worst kind of Harry, badass war-veteran who slaughtered Voldemort's followers and stalemated him for years travels to another dimension and suddenly turns into a gigantic, incompetent pussy who constantly bitches and moans about how everything is his fault and everyone who has ever died did so because of him and constantly spaces out daydreaming about random shit.

Jesus fucking Christ does this kind of writing piss me off. Take the first fight Harry stumbles into, and I do mean stumble, he's a fucking human goldfish that just fumbles around with no plan at all. Anyway, he ends up at the world cup just in time for some Death Eater ass-kicking and starts it off by exploding a Death Eater into tiny little pieces while the rest is distracted crucioing Fleur whose "Veela-aura" seems to malfunction, he then stops and stares until he's been sufficiently injured that he can't continue stomping the shit out of the Death Eaters and is on the defensive until they end up escaping.

The author adresses these issues by having Harry bitch and moan some more about how he shouldn't be making these stupid mistakes and it just pisses me off even more because it's so fucking transparent that Harry's abilities are completely controlled by the plot.

Some time later he's putting serious time and effort into finding a teacher to help train him and Draco so they can fight Voldemort. Bitch what? You're the only one in the whole fucking world who can fight him 1on1 and you think having a crappier duelist train you is gonna help in any fucking way? This is some industrial strength retardation at work here.

This is as far as I've gotten but I'm still gonna read the rest because there's fuck-all to read right now, I'm past the bottom of the barrel, I'm digging in the dirt now.

And on a final note, I can't believe I still haven't read a timetravel/dimension-hopping-story where Harry's first course of action is murdering every single Death Eater and their children in their sleep long before they ever become a problem again, let Voldemort try the conquest thing solo.

3. Ncjeur

Ncjeur Second Year

Well... I said it wasn't more than a guilty pleasure ;)

4. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

@ Pirazy for all that bitching about a fic and your still going to read it? You must find it more interesting than you care to admit.

5. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

"And why, Mr. Nott, are you not accepting my invitation to join the illustrious Death Eaters"

"Well you see my lord, I'm really down with the whole pureblood supremacy bit; drive out the mudbloods and all the great hooplah! It's just that every time someone joins the cause a mysterious suave stranger comes and seduces their wife! I'm fat, balding, and getting on in years! There's no way I can compete with such a youthful ravishing!"

6. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Why do authors have to do this shit. I could tolerate him being a little bit of a bitch even if it was extremely annoying but when his power levels get controlled at random for no reason other than to stop him actually being useful it pisses me off.

7. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Read the rest of the fic, or more like skimmed it, and realized I'd read it before. There's a marked improvement and significantly less of of the earlier annoyance where the author constantly goes off on a tangent for a dozen paragraphs every time Harry uses a spell or says something. Makes it alot easier to read when the flow isn't constantly being butchered.

Unfortuneately the plot continues dragging Harry around by the balls, the running battle with Crouch being the prime example. I have a really hard time believing Harry fought his world's Voldemort when he can't defeat what the author admits isn't even a toptier Death Eater with Harry taking a dozen curses for every one he lands. For some reason Harry can only land hits when he's going for the kill and not incapacitation.

The author does have some interesting and uncommon ideas though which is always nice to see, unfortunately it is drowned out by blatant character stupidity and another really annoying staple of fics featuring the pussy!Harry where another character tries to beat some reality into Harry's retarded head by doing several rounds of the old "did you order blablabla to do blablabla" in an effort to try and make Harry realize he is not the center of the universe and everything that happens is not a consequence of him getting up in the morning.

And on a final note, don't entrust this Harry with your secrets, he's neither capable of keeping them or fixing his guaranteed fuckups because once again the plot has to be satisfied. If he doesn't get a retarded look on his face every time he sees a familiar face it's because he can't be arsed to look behind him before talking with Malfoy who is incapable of starting a sentence without fucking up Harry's fake name.

Still, a guilty pleasure is a guilty pleasure.

8. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

Chapter 12 was recently added and I found this fic while using scryer to search for good fics.

Sometime the fic feels like it can go into library. For example, the fighting scene between Harry and Crouch. I also like dynamic between Harry and Draco. And it has Regulus Black. Marauders aren't cliched.

But the Flamels, Harem and minor Dumbledore bashing drags it down a bit. To be honest I don't mind them since I like AUs. But this is not everyone's cup of tea.

3.5/5

9. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Still shit.

/10char.

10. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Here's a microcosm of why this fic will be eternally stuck in "guilty pleasure at best" land:

Look at that last paragraph. Oh my god.

Next time, on I'm Still Here:

Jesus. No wonder the chapters are so long.

11. blackhood

blackhood Squib

Despite the cliches, I found the story enjoyable if a bit long winded. Incredibly long chapters but a pretty decent update rate. I'm still wondering if Voldemort actually made it to the same universe that Harry and Draco did, as they heard him screaming as they made it across the void. Will be interesting to see how that's handled.

3/5

Blackhood

12. explorerswb

explorerswb Squib

Less bad than I expected, given the summary, but still kind of bad. As others have noted, there's a lot of unnecessary exposition and the story is filled with cliches. That said, I did read it all the way through, and didn't feel like I'd wasted my time, so it has that going for it.

3/5

13. xerebz

xerebz Squib

Enjoyable but 250k words and it feels like the plot has yet to advance. Basically what everyone else said.

3/5

14. darkklight

darkklight Squib

This is an amazing story. It has a good build up and I like the way Harry is represented. His powers are awesome and I especially love the relationship between him and Dobby. Overall, 5/5. :) :wizard:

15. Crucipated

Crucipated Squib

I will admit to liking the fic, or at least parts of it. But despite the chapter lengths, not sure a 1-chapter-per-every-2-months update rate is what I'd call 'decent'. In fact, unless I'm imagining it, the delay between chapters 11 & 12 was at least half a year, maybe even closer to nine months.

.... or maybe I'm just too demanding as a reader. :?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  16. Researcher

Researcher Second Year

High Score:
    2-3 months per chapter seems to be the norm for higher-quality fics when the author knows where the story should go. Or that's what I espect when following a fanfic. (Chapters that are about 6,000-10,000 words)

I think that it was on hiatus. Then she began to rewrite the beginning.

I give the story 2.5/5. Why? Because it's one of all the bad fanfics @ FF.net that have Harry has powerful, independent etc. etc... It's a guilty pleasure, but the story is on the better side of bad fics. Read if you already have read all the good ones, and you only want to read HP fanfics.

17. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

This fic updated in January. I still think it's a pretty good fic I figured I'd update this thread and see if anyone else was still following.

link to latest chapter

18. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

I'm still not sure what to think about this story. I like it, but I have a few problems with it. It's definitely deserving of the Almost Recommended category, is basically what I'm saying, and is for the most part enjoyable, if slightly flawed.

That being said, I actually really liked the explanation in the latest chapter given to explain the creation of Horcruxes. I don't know how unique it is, but the idea, that for a successful Horcrux to be created, the person that is being murdered must emotionally and mentally want to die more than they want to live for the ritual to work is, dare I say it, quite brilliant, and it's pretty much become my new headcanon on Horcrux creation.

Oh, and for the story, 3/5.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017