1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

In the need of assistance

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Ninclow, May 11, 2016.

1. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Sorry if I misplaced this thread, but I'm looking for info on a tv show I watched as a kid, and wondered if anyone could help me out?

I was born in 1994, and I vaguely remember it being aired on Norwegian television around the time I was six, and seen as most tv shows have the dubbed version air later than the original is shown in, let's say USA if that's where its made, then we could make an educated guess on it being made no later than 1990, although I take it would have been made earlier, since the show was on re-runs in 2000, 20001...

I seem to recall it being about a group of white people (possibly British, I only ever saw the dubbed version) on an expedition to Africa. There was two immensely physically strong black males, one good and one bad guy, and both just about the only one capable of standing up to the other. I think the bad guy for some time managed to convince the explorers that he was a good guy, but was later found out. The real good guy fought the bad guy and fell down a waterfall or something, and believed deceased, but he survived and would after being nursed back to health by strangers pursue the bad guy who took the white people captive to find some valuable object or another. Or was it gold? I distinctively remember the opening sequence including a scene where one of those two black men fought with a gorilla in the jungle.

If this seem vaguely familiar to someone, please, do tell, I have looked for ages.

2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're probably better off asking on a high traffic forum like reddit or 4chan's /tv/

3. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Doesn't hurt trying though. ^^'

Thanks for the tip, anyway. :-D

4. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Hmm... was it perhaps Sheena: Queen of the Jungle?

[​IMG]

I used to watch that in the early 2000s for... reasons.

If it isn't this one, it now could be.

5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Instead of making a brand new thread, I'll just ask here on the off chance anybody knows.

I'm thinking of a show where after a nuclear winter people lived in a research station but then a guy broke into a time machine and went into the past/future looking for blue stuff. I remember he landed in a desert place with a mad Max vibe.

>_>

6. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If they made them like that in the jungle, I'd happily take Sheena's ass on safari, despite the risk of dengue.

7. Joe

High Score:
    Mate, you'd never get close. Not only is Sheena a multiple animagus with telepathic abilities, she was orphaned in the part of the jungle under the protection of King Jabalani. A man who fiercely defends his territory from outsiders.

8. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Joe: If she's telepathic, she would know that I mean her no harm and would vouch for me after sensing my good intentions, as she alone could protect me from Jabalani. But even in the face of his wrath, just being able to see Sheena face to face and profess my love, chivalric though it my sound, is worth walking the length of the Amazon barefoot, with naught but a machete, a pack of matches and a slightly used spray bottle of Off.

You know, because of the risk of dengue.

EDIT: Regarding the OP - it kind of sounds like Congo (film)

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  9. Azotez

Azotez Seventh Year

I remember this one from my youth. It was an australian series as far as I remember. I think the background of the story was that an asteroid, containing this blue mineral struck the earth, thus causing a nuclear winter. The mineral was so powerful that the people of the research station, this child genius in particular were able to use it to travel into the future. People had survived but technology and society had taken a huge hit. People were mostly surviving and scrapping whatever they could find.

I also remember how it ended, so I am not gonna spoil any thing. I think it is called "Thunderstone".

There were quite a lot of good australian series being made at that time. I remember another one called "The Tribe" with young children being the only survivers of a nasty outbreak. They had to reinvent a lot of technology and such. Worth checking out.

10. Seratin

High Score:
    That's it. I really loved that series as a kid and it's been driving me insane all day. No amount of googling, "nuclear winter TV show blue stone future" was doing the trick. Thanks for that.

Petition for this thread to be repurposed as a general thread for these questions?

11. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

This was my thought, but literally the only thing I remember about the film is a dude's eye getting ripped out.

12. Joe

High Score:
    I spent best part of 18 years in Australia, and let me tell you, Aussie TV peaked in 1996 with the timeless classic - Genie From Down Under. Here's the intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-GaXZcOazE

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-GaXZcOazE[/yt]

Edit: I will concede that 1998's Lil Elvis and the Truckstoppers (here's the intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx5KiuzAzbA), was quality viewing, as well. Basic premise, Elvis Presley abandons his bastard in the Australian outback, and Elvis Snow goes on to protect his outback town from an evil mining magnate that wins at marbles using a magic marble. Good stuff.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  13. Seratin

High Score:
    I debate thee.

The greatest Aussie TV show was the classic, "'Round the twist."

https://youtu.be/KPxJ6RR40ZU

It aired on Irish TV during the mid 90s and was then canned and brought under scrutiny for being inappropriate for children.

Legendary show.

14. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    No, definitively not that one. But thanks for wanting to help, anyway. ^^