1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Infinity War Spoilers Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Starwind, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    God I would hate to go to the cinema with you. And apparently anyone from your city. There is a special circle in hell reserved for people who make noise in the cinema.

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I was pretty hyped when they started showing off the infinity gauntlet's powers and they were actually insane as shit.

>Turns Mantis into spaghetti.
    >Drax bursts into treats.
    >Drops a fucking moon on Stark.
    >Rewinds Wanda's heartbreaking sacrifice and renders it pointless.
    >Crushes War Machine like an empty beer can.

I was kinda expecting him to be all punch/kick/laser fist.

3. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

First day 10:00pm show, guv. You go for a matinee if you want a more sedate crowd.

4. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It doesn't matter how big the movie or what time of day or night, you will literally never see an audience shouting and clapping in a theatre in the U.K or Ireland.

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Was I the only one who couldn't take the Voldemort cosplayer seriously? It looked like he was wearing a mask.

6. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Generally true here in India too (for most English movies) unless there’s a following, like for the MCU. In that case, the first 3-5 days will have night shows filled with crazies.

7. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Worst you'll get in most theaters in the US is intense whispering or synchronized gasps and laughs.

As for the movie, I feel really ambivalent about it. I think I liked a lot of things that happened in it without actually liking the movie. The huge cast meant that a lot of characters couldn't be given enough screen time to do them justice. I didn't have a problem with the CGI, though I've heard one or two people comment on it in the negative. Overall, it just felt like a weak story with a lot of contrivances. The Guardians vs. Tony/Peter/Strange, Quill ruining things by punching Thanos, and the bit where any of the Avengers didn't get smushed like ants when they tried to fight Thanos in close combat. When he had one Infinity Stone he ate Hulk for lunch, and yet Captain America is able to block a blow? Get out of here. Lots of little stuff like that.

Sey
  8. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I took that whole scene as Thanos just taking his time. Not using his full strength. Why should he when he can just use the time stone? He only used one hand on Cap and just slowly pushing him down.

9. iamnotlordvoldemort

iamnotlordvoldemort Squib

Observations for next movie:

Crazy theory: The survivors are the original avengers. I’m expecting that since there are 6 stones and 6 original avengers, the price of resetting the timeline will be that they all have to wield the stones individually and are killed in the process, clearing the way for the new avengers. Thor perhaps survives, but all the humans do not. We see the infinity gauntlet damaged in the credit scene, suggesting that even Thanos may not be able to fully reverse what he did. Also, Thanos foreshadows Tony being potentially removed from existence with the line “I hope the remember you”. In the end, only Dr. Strange will remember the original avengers even existed.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know, the trailers had footage of the Wakanda battle with the Hulk in. In the movie? No Hulk there. This makes me think that is actually footage from Avengers 4 (they shot both simultaneously). Which, if true, confirms time travel.

11. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Ballsy, but I like it.

The one thing I don’t like is that the characters that are most responsible for many people’s fondness for the MCU would disappear all at once. I get that Chris Evans (and possibly others) is/are out of a contract and that RDJ is getting on in years, but to just have all of these heroes disappear would be too much of a sacrifice, both marketing and story-wise. Also, I don’t think the writers can fully resolve Tony and Peter’s story arc in Infinity War: War Harder. My hope regarding that is that RDJ stays on until Tom Holland’s original contract is up. The character should have matured enough by then.

12. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    While that's certainly possible, it would hardly be the first time a trailer hasn't matched the finished product.

I'm a little torn. The film was a steady stream of awesome and win, but afterwards, once the initial shock had worn off, I didn't really feel like I cared that much. The finger snap was shocking if inevitable, but mostly focused on secondary characters or ones who've been confirmed for their own sequels, so it kinda fell a little flat - Spidey aside, in fairness. I actually did get a little emotional over Gamora and Thanos, which I did not expect in the slightest, but all in all it's definitely a film I'm going to remember more for the spectacle than anything else, but then again there's so much of that that it still works out on the positive side.

Top moments: the whole Stark gang arc, from New York to Titan, "Bring me Thanos!", Bucky dual-wielding a gun and a gun-toting raccoon, the complete surprise of the Red Skull, and the stinger.

13. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I had wondered about that as well, but, due to important work stuff interfering, never bothered to follow up on it. Either that or it’s an admittedly very late rewrite in which they decided to keep the Hulk contained for the time being.

14. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Just got back from this.

I'll admit, while watching, I was completely into it. Aside from the very first scene, where Ragnarok is pretty invalidated, I was hooked and into it throughout most of the movie. I was very, very entertained, and when people started disappearing it actually affected me. That scene was so well made, too. Gamora's death, Star-Lord's death, Groot's death, Dr Strange and Peter; though they only had small clips for their deaths, they were all very well done and very true to their characters. Painful to watch in a good way.

However, as others have mentioned, once the shock wears off, none of this stands up to scrutiny. The first scene ruins Thor 3, the Wakanda girl plug-in was cringy, Thor conveniently giving Thanos just enough time to complete the gauntlet before going stabbity stab stab even though he was right there, Thanos hiimself makes no sense, and after the first shock, everyone understands that none of this is permanent.

None of this matters, really. The movie works in the moment, and it'll be a huge success, and in the end that's all that'll matter.

I just hope that the retcon is handled delicately and given the same nonchalant deletion that Ragnarok got.

My real question is; how the fuck does the Bifrost work if Asgard is space debris?

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The energy store that the bifrost portal stems from wouldn't have been destroyed upon the physical destruction of Asgard, merely scattered. Heimdall just needed to call upon a shit ton of power to gather it again and produce the portal. That big spinny machine is only supposed to make it easy to summon.

16. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm a bit lost with all this talk of retcons and deletions, since I don't recall Infinity War retconning anything. I rather doubt they would end up retconning Infinity War either. Most likely we'll get something similar to how they ended it in the comics: Nebula takes the infinity gauntlet away from Thanos and uses it to undo him killing half the universe.

Everything in Infinity War does follow on reasonably well from Ragnarok. I mean, yeah, sucks that Thanos smashed up half the surviving refugees and killed off Loki and Thor (and possibly the other characters we don't see on screen) but that was pretty much to be expected when Thanos shows up. As you might have noticed, he does a lot of killing.

Or is this about him getting a new weapon and replacing the eye he lost? Because in a universe where cybernetic eyes exist, getting one of those to replace a lost eye is just common sense. And while Ragnarok had a big plot point of Thor learning his powers aren't all from his hammer, weapons are still bloody useful things to have. Sort of like how Iron Man 3 had a big plot point of Tony learning to live without his Iron Man armor, but that doesn't mean he never uses it again when he's fighting bad guys.

17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I really don't have any new insights to share, but I'll echo some of those already shared. The stakes and deaths are powerful in the moment, but ultimately, yeah--they don't really have the punch. I suppose we'll see some actual permanent exits in Avengers 4. I can buy Thanos's motivation, he's not worse than any other MCU villain. Loki was silly in Avengers too, but we all enjoyed the spectacle.

This movie is a collection of lols and fuckyeah moments. Watching it I was entirely into it. Tony is awesome, Steve Rogers is awesome, Thor is just off the charts amazeballs. But now, having cooled down a bit, I don't think I'll be coming back to it as fondly as, say, the 2012 Avengers, or Winter Soldier.

The movie did, I think, the best job that could've been done with juggling so many freaking characters, but I also think there's a critical mass to how many characters you can have in a movie and still let the viewer engage with them a bit, and Civil War was the absolute limit. Assuming that predictions are correct, and Avengers 4 is the OG crew duking it out with Thanos, I imagine A4 will be a stronger movie than this one.

Great spectacle, but feels more like one of those videos made solely to promote the Unreal Engine--it's there to show what's possible to put on the screen for you, but there's not really much substance. That said, incredibly entertaining in the moment. 7/10

Apparently Captain Marvel will be set in the 90s, but Ant-Man 2 also has to take place before Infinity War, surely? Kinda hard to imagine a sequel to a silly fun romp like Ant-Man set in a post Infinity half-dead world. Edit: checked Wikipedia and apparently it's concurrent with Black Panther, set after Civil War. Makes sense.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  18. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

So the line with Shuri and Bruce about Vision, Banner and Stark didn't have anything to do with the Mind Stone as I recall, that was Ultron's work. It did seem a little shoehorned in.

19. blob

blob Seventh Year

Most of what I'd write has been said already. Not a religious Marvel film-goer, saw maybe a third of the movies overall, so the 'impact' of IW would be lessened already, but I agree that the deaths didn't really do much for me; they don't stand that well on their own, aside from the Stark group at the end and maybe Gamora IMO. The power levels were rather odd and all over the place, even to a person that didn't really know how the people stacked up against each other, but if Hulk gets smashed around by Thanos in the beginning there is logically little that could stand up to the guy, so ie. Thanos vs Cap near the end made for a small 'wut' moment. Still, the spectacle was great and it was a joy to watch.

However I have a question. Might be that it is my lack of familiarity with Marvel and lacking a decent chunk of the overreaching knowledge, but what the hell is up with Bruce Banner?

Every single scene after the very first one he was little more than cringy comic relief. Is that guy supposed to be a hapless idiot whose only use is to bring out the pain train on command except that Hulk doesn't want to play along in this movie? Or is it humorous and I'm just an anti-fun crusader? I mean, I guess one might find it funny that after an entire movie where he achieved fuck-all aside from his own embarrassment he clumsily falls flat on his face when running at the enemy in the giant robot, but... c'mon.

20. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it was supposed to be a subtle nod that Hulk is too scared to fight. Thanos managed to whoop his arse without even trying and now Hulk is too scared to fight.