1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Infinity War Spoilers Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Starwind, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I'll be honest, I've been sorta skimming the thread. But, could you point this out because I'm lazy?

2. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I saw the movie today, and it was awesome. The movie would rank one of my favorites, somewhere between Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok. I love the fact the villain is not pure evil and insane. I liked the death scenes and find no fault in them, even if we know they will all come alive due to wonky time magic or something. It fits Thanos, not slow deaths of the ones we care about... just them slowly crumbling like they are nothing more than a speck in the universe with no way of stopping it.

I did have an idea when I saw the after-credits screen, that I can't post in the plot bunnies thread because I don't want to spoil anything by accident...

What if it was not Captain Marvel that helps save the day, but Auror Potter?

Someone could make a pretty epic post-canon fic where the Wizarding World has stayed secret this whole time, against many people's wishes after the many events from the previous movies. The Accords were a huge reason the wizarding world decided not to reveal themselves, but perhaps help out behind the scenes.

But when Thanos succeeds, even the Wizarding World is not immune to his effects. He watches as Hermione, Neville, Ginny, James, Lily all crumble into nothingness.

When a movie makes me think and daydream about other scenarios and events, I am happy. For me, that makes a good movie. The Infinity War has definitely done that. I am glad I saw the movie unlike many of the other Marvel films where I went meh.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That was me. I hate women and black people, obviously.

4. Haze

Haze Second Year

We have that. Its called Wand and Shield. Unfortunately, the author was part of the 50% that disappeared. :)

On another note, what would happen if Thanos tried to use the Time Stone to resurrect Gamora. Would the Soul Stone prevent it or would the Soul Stone disappear since it would render the sacrifice meaningless? What if someone else picks up the gauntlet, can they bypass the sacrifice then?

5. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Obviously. I hope you're appropriately ashamed of yourself.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But if I'm proudly misogynist and racist, why would I be ashamed? I just can't stand young black women showing up old white men. And I bet Shuri's gay, too, for a trifecta of my favorite bigotries.

I don't doubt that there are people who are actually pissed about the issue because she's a black chick, but I expected that here people would see past the vibranium dildo and examine the actual argument I gave, which doesn't have anything to do with Shuri's race or gender, and everything with character development and writing.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I haven't read a fanfic in years... but I would read that.

8. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    People are perfectly able to dislike a plot device involving a black person without being racist, thanks.
    Not gonna lie, when you suggested that the image that immediately came to mind was Thanos throwing a moon at Harry who then turns the falling meteors into bubbles, lol.

I think it'd probably be more interesting/believable if he contacted Dumbledore (or anyone, assume he lived), but he's one of those who were 'erased'. A distraught Harry picks up the message instead, and he goes looking for answers. Just seems a bit too likely the target would also have befallen the same fate (fifty percent, if my math checks out XD)

9. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Yeah, I'll grant that that she's got a bit of a case of "look how much cooler our new character is than these old ones." But trying to make new characters look cool isn't exactly rare. If you wanted to, Strange's entire cameo in Ragnarok could be summed up as "Isn't this Strange guy really cool? Look at how much cooler he is than Thor and Loki." I really don't consider two lines of dialogue where one character has an idea another one didn't, then acts very smug about it to be an unforgivable sin.

Thing is, nobody tells Stark or Strange to go suck a dick or get back in the kitchen when they act like incredibly smart guys who are far too impressed with their own intelligence and talk down to those around them. The Smug Genius isn't exactly a rare character archetype for Marvel to play around with, but until they made one who was black and female everyone seemed to like them.

If Stark had been the one to deliver the "Why didn't you think of X?" and "Well I'm sure you did your best" lines would anyone have cared?

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The difference here is that Stark has been set up as a genius over about ten years now. Dr Strange uses entirely magic, which is his schtick, and the internal inconsistency in how magic was explained in his solo movie and how it behaves in Ragnarok has been discussed, as well.

@Chengar Qordath really, nobody gives a shit that she's black. Bad writing is bad writing, and the fact that a character is a woman and/or black, doesn't mean that any criticism towards them is because of, or about, that. Wtf man. Stop trying to make it because of that.

People would have been just as annoyed if it were a young white male saying that line under these circumstances. It's shitty writing.

11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

No, because Stark is established character and it would be in character for him to say it, but I get what you're saying.

The problem with Shuri is that she's in a way a completely brand new character with one film behind her because MCU Shuri isn't even comic Shuri. She's actually a half of what T'Challa was suppose to be, a rival to people like Tony Stark and Reed Richards.

Compare it to Doctor Strange, who may be not very popular, but wasn't an unknown before his first appearance and from this perspective Shuri is an OC character in MCU fanfiction and OC characters need to earn their place before they can put down others. Whether the first BP film earned her this or not is an open question, but to many it didn't and that's why they complain.

And now I wrote more about like two minutes of this film than anything else.

Change of subject then.

IW is breaking many box office records like it's nothing, giving it a good chance to pass 2B dollars world wide as a fourth film to do this (other three: Avatar, Titanic and Star Wars: The Force Awakens). And people said that superhero and Marvel were on slow decline after Age of Ultron.

12. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Nah, not really. While I understand that there is a thing called sexism and racism, it has nothing to do with this. It's just a convenient thing people fall back on when a character they like is a twat and others call her out on her twatiness.

There are times Stark is a twat, but and he's called on it, but I don't hear anyone saying it's because he's a man or because he's white. He's a twat because he's a twat. Thing is, he IS called on it, they recognize this and build stories around how he gets his, learns from it, and goes off to screw something else up some different way. Shuri is just awesome for awesome's sake alone.

There are all sorts of ways they could of played her or had others play against her, to make her more likable, but for whatever reason they decided to chose this direction for... reasons.

I wrote what I wrote because it's the go-to answer for every conceivable thing these days, so much that it's lost it's meaning. I burned my egg this morning. It's obviously because of racism. Just because it 'could' be A reason, doesn't mean it's The reason.

13. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Plus I am not even American and I tought she was being a brat, after that when people online started to talk about how her being black chick is the reason people is calling on her I had to stop and think about it a moment.

I honestly don't even think about skin colors unless SHE happens to be a attractive chick, then I commit everything to the memory and Shauri was a bit too young for me hence not remembering.

14. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For what its worth...I tell my guy friends to go eat a dick when they're being assholes....

Its not just an insult directed solely at females thing.

*shrugs*

15. Immet

Immet Seventh Year

It could just be because we haven't seen enough of Shuri. Stark is regularly a complete dick to others and if his whole persona was brilliance and dickishness he would be a shit character, no matter how charismatic RDJ is.

The worst parts of the Iron Man films are when he's a complete dick and the only ones that dislike him are bad guys. Him being good enough to drive a racing car to a high level while drunk just frustrates me for example. But he also has issues with alcohol, parent issues, in the comic had a huge mental breakdown over his technology being used for evil, etc, etc. And most importantly, other sympathetic protagonists call him out on being a dick and don't immediately respect him. Whereas most importantly within this film Shuri is never criticised nor makes any mistakes, and all the heroes immediately accept she's right.

We haven't had enough chance to see Shuri fail, despondent, hungover and emotionally wrought on a huge doughnut, and require emotional support from others.

On the other hand it could be ageism rather than sexism or racism. Shuri is young, untested, and doesn't have the gravitas that older people are automatically respected for. There's a reason political figures are normally older, and that's because there's the assumption that older people in a field will have more useful experience, and conversely that young people like Shuri don't have knowledge and experience. So, it could be about being a young whippersnapper that hasn't earned the right to criticise their elders.

16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Tbh, I think that scene could have been great if Banner hadn't been such a bitch about it. Imagine if Tony had been there instead and the tone of it shifts completely.

17. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Shuri: Why didn't you just reprogram the synapses to work collectively

Stark: Why didn't you just put a self destruct system on Killmonger's suit?

Or

Stark: Why don't you try to reprogram the synapses while a killer robot tries to destroy the world.

18. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Sure, bad writing is bad writing. But is writing a bratty genius who's very smug and condescending about how smart she is bad writing? Because to me, that just looks like a character with a bit of an abrasive personality. Which ... isn't unusual in the MCU.

Though I do like Jon's suggestion; the scene would've worked a lot better if someone snarked right back at her.

19. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rofl, she tried (robot/thanos). She couldn't do it in time.

But yeah, Jon nailed it. I don't care if she's a brat. I care that Banner is taking it. I needed Tony there to say 'hush now, the grown-ups are talking,' but despite him literally saying that to Peter all the time, there's no fucking way they'd have a white man day that to a young black girl so in the end, I just grin and bare it.

I actually like Shuri. I just hate the bashing aspect of her genius when compared to, you know, the established geniuses. It doesn't feel earned.

20. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its bad writing when that bratty genius is always right and the smug, condescension is considered justified by the way the scene is written.

When Tony is written as an abrasive character...its usually considered a negative. That's not a positive trait of his character.