1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting note: 33% of the Votes were cast by members with less than 20 posts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BioPlague, Feb 5, 2007.

1. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

20% by people with less than 10 posts.

Some proposals for next years awards (progress by learning from mistakes):

- Three categories are made -- Story, Character and Grand Achievement.
    - Nominations remain the same but at the end of the nomination period, an author is asked which nominations he will accept and which he must give up based upon the following new rules:
    -- Noir, Comedy, Alternate, Crossover and Romance are Story Awards.
    -- Innovative, Story of the Year and Newcomer are Grand Achievement.
    -- All Character awards remain Character Awards.
    -- Only one nomination for an author's stories may be made in the Grand Achievement category.
    -- Only one nomination for author's stories may be made in the Story Awards category.
    -- Only two nominations for author's characters may be made in the Character Awards category.
    - All members who are allowed to vote must have been apart of the site for no less than 60 days.
    - All members who are allowed to vote must have over 50 posts. These are community awards, meaning this is a community. In order to be apart of this community, it's in my belief, you must contribute to this community in some form, meaning posts, ideas, decisions, positive or negative. Twenty posts are not what I call contribution. Ten posts are for sure not contribution. Your reputation isn't taken into consideration but it's obvious that these awards were not decided by this community but by a bunch of chumps who probably take up the bulk of the posts in the Jbern-fappery palaces that have become his threads in the Library and Author Works sections.
    - All stories that are voted upon must be written/started within the year that the awards celebrates, meaning the 2008 Awards will celebrate stories created between January 1st, 2007 and January 1st, 2008. Just a thought.

Discuss.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I agree with this whole heartedly. Only I'd go a bit higher on the post count requirement.

3. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I agree with these suggestions, though I do still think as long as the story is updated in 2007 it should be eligible.

4. Thalarian

Thalarian Seventh Year

The only possible Amendment I would throw out there would be that even if a story wasn't created between Jan 1st '07 and Jan 1st '08, if it is kept decently active between the prospective award year, has not won any of the awards it is nominated for, it still be considered eligible.

Rough around the edges and can be fine tuned, but something that can hopefully be examined a bit more and integrated into the above rules.

5. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Like those above, I think these are fair and sensible policies. I suggest making the minimum post count at least 75, so that only active or established members of the community can participate. My own post count isn't all that high, but I still like to think that I am somewhat active member.

And I agree that stories updated during the applicable year should be eligible for nomination, but with a stipulation that no previous award winner can be nominated for the same award. There simply aren't enough good, quality stories being put out every year to restrict it to new stories only.

EDIT: Yeah, basically like Thalarian said. I was writing this when he posted.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  6. mcatrage

mcatrage Raptured to Hell

So how about a redo with these rules?

Also I think there should be like some sort of review committee for each category to make sure the nominees are actually applicable. I can understand asking the author but I think this would also be good.

7. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Enh, It would be very interesting to see how the awards came out with a redo following a slightly modified version of these rules.

I don't think post count should be taken into account but just time here. If someone registered last year but doesn't post that much they should still get a vote and a say in the final results.

These rules seem to be made for Jbern :/

Or maybe for the retarded fangirl following that he has.

8. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Rules are generally made for persons or events and as Jbern was apart of the event that took place, of course it seems like we're targeting him. But the main concern is that it wasn't a community effort and in truth, it wasn't.

80 ballots were cast by people with less than 20 posts. That determines the awards and the feeling by almost everyone is that these awards sucked. We're the community VOTING for it - that's fucking lame. Where are the people who voted for him? Oh. They don't post here often, that's right.

In the NFL rules are named after the player, (ie the Romanowski Ruling) and heh, it happens. We learn from our mistakes. I don't suggest a redo but then again, no one is really taking the results of these awards serious or as a true community effort.

Eitherway, I think Jbern's stories are pieces of shit, no doubt - but my disgust with the awards would be the same if Syaoran's dark story won a romance award, comedy award, innovative award, newcomer award and what-not and I <3 Syaoran-chan.

9. Midknight

I'd go for a recount, as I haven't seen votes this suspicious since the Dubya elections. The amount of crying though would be strong I'd imagine. I'd direct you to my sig for thoughts on this, but it's a electronic voting process, lol.

10. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    A lot of people who voted for him only voted because they knew Jbern was popular. They had to vote to move on, and this caused a lot of voting for authors and stories that some voters didn't even read. If you could skip a category where you didn't know a lot of the stories; I think the voting would have been different.

11. Midknight

yeah I agree with that. I started to vote, then hit a category where I knew no stories, and just closed the page down, b/c I didn't want to skew the votes in favor of a fic I knew nothing about.

12. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

I ran into that problem as well, only I thought none of them on a page deserved an award. Or in more than one case, I had to vote a story I thought didn't deserve one just to move to the next page, changing this might make voting a lot more acurate. Top of 3, min of 0 or 1.

13. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

I DEMAND A RECOUNT!! *Shakes fist*

14. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Agreed. A recount is necessary. As far as stats seen in IRC show, in certain places the points were off by a hair's breadth, enough to make all the difference in a genre.

As far as Merrill's suggestions go, I think they're valid, though I'd echo the idea of making the cut off 75 posts. If someone isn't willing to make the posts to become even a marginally established member of the forum, why should we include their vote?

15. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

You can demand nothing, you'd do well to remember that.

16. haroon_angel

haroon_angel Fourth Year

I agrees this voting is suspicious or maybe they could have ask there family and friends to vote without reading all stories

17. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Ask their families? It's fanfiction, buddy.

18. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

I POLITELY ASK FOR A RECOUNT!! *Shakes Fist*

19. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

*Points to Murton*

OH SNAP!

20. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah, well, the awards were slapped together fairly quickly. Shit happens. Next time, more work will be put in, as shown already.