1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Inu Yasha

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Okay, so with over 116 000 fics it's number 3 in the anime section and 5th overall in pure quantity. So, how come I have never stumbled upon a good one?

There have to a few. So, anyone here know one or two?

2. ReverseSide

ReverseSide Slug Club Member

Tales From the House of the Moon is still my favorite. Like essentially all Inuyasha fics, it's primarily romance. One of the first fanfics I've ever read, and having reread it recently, I think it still holds up.

3. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Purity by Sueric is an old favorite of mine. I haven't read it in about half a decade or so but I remember being hellishly fond of it when I read it the first time and still enjoying it the last time I did.

A couple of the sequels are worth reading (or were at the time I read them), but eventually they just turn into a mass of OCxOC romance with canon characters far, far in the background.

Edit ReverseSide SesshomaruKagome? HEATHEN. HEAAATHEEENNN. InuKag OTP.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  4. eden

eden First Year

There are not that many actually. Off the top of my head, I can think of these:

Pretty much everything Sueric wrote is high up there on the list, not just Purity. Can be found on AO3. Chronicles, for example, is a good one. Also remember liking Purity, but not so much its sequels. Granted, it actually had OCs that I liked. But that is kinda key there, because there are just so many of them. If you don't like OCs in general or in particular these ones, only read Purity, because you're gonna hate its sequels. And believe me, I didn't read past the first of the sequels because by then it was purely OCs, and seemingly a purely harlequin fic. Ugh. No thanks.

Inuyasha fics written by Seaouryou on ffnet are all short but good, if memory serves.

Torenza's fics on ffnet are also some of the most liked in the fandom, but blegh, pure romantic comedy. Arguably good fics, but still purely romantic nonsense, so it's a mood/preference kinda thing.

On AO3, A Trick of Fate by pristineungift is a good read too. At least it tries its hand at worldbuilding and youkai politics. Whether it was successful is arguable. Also has youkai!Kagome because of Shikon wish backfire, which is a YMMV kinda trope.

And then there are the fan favorites, the ones pretty much everyone in the fandom knows and most can recommend without reservations:

Turnabout is Fair Play by Ookami-chan (Incomplete and abandoned, but worth reading anyway.)
    It contains that whole mating bond thing many don't like, and it has Kagome turning into youkai in this one, and all the shenanigans. Is better than I've made it sound, I'm sure, but I can't remember enough for a better summary.

This Can't Be Good By Ithilwen K-Bane (Complete)
    It's all about the shenanigans caused by Hojo somehow going to Sengoku Jidai. Rather fun, actually.

Literally can't think of any more good fics in this fandom.

(Edited because it occurred to me I should add a few summaries.)

5. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    WalkingDisaster seriously recommends Inuyasha fics.

Send help.

xion or syed pls ;_;

6. mdatot

mdatot First Year

High Score:
    Tales From the House of the Moon is the only really good one I can think of, and I've looked around.

Where the West Wind Blows by Evil is a Relative Term is tantalizingly close to being amazing, though. The atmosphere, world building and characters are great, but the fic is most likely abandoned and what's there right now is pretty much just a prologue.

7. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

dis thread got me reading Inuyasha fics again... Which quickly reminded me why I stopped reading Inuyasha fics, gah most are so terrible.

Aside from dat though I can remember precisely two. Haven't read them in years so I won't stand by their quality, but I remember liking them at the time. A warning, almost everything you'll find in dis fandom is romance to some degree.

Beside you in Time: one of thoughs immortal MC wangers thru history fics. If I remember right, something goes wroong with the jewel wish, rendering Kagome and Sesshoumaru immortal and Kagome stuck in the past. Jewel gets stolen, they spend the intervening 500 years bouncing around various historical settings/events looking for it. Deals with the slow demise of the demonic world and has a well characterized Sesshoumaru. Romance but very very slow and I think believable, I kept up with it a few years after getting bored with Inuyasha at least.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4449717/1/Beside-You-in-Time

Dancing with Scissors: dis is a wierd one, modern AU, sess/kag. Usually not my cup of tea at all but I remember reading it a few times over the years. Author missed a trick here, a couple of name swaps and they would have had a middling romance novel to flog.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4108409/1/Dancing-with-Scissors

Edit: having re-read a bit of the second one I'm seriously doubting it's going to find an audience here. o_O not as engaging as I remember but if you're into middling romance novels...

Darth Disaster sess/kag 4 lyfe!!!1!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  8. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

9. ReverseSide

ReverseSide Slug Club Member

This I cannot deny.

Fuck you, Kikyo best girl.

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Excuse you, best girl is clearly Sango.

Sango x Kagome OTP btw.

The one Inu Yasha fic that I enjoy and remember is the crossover written by Sythe, From the Garden of Gods

In this, Kagome turns up in the Naruto world but I wouldn't exactly call it much of an Inu Yasha story, since the Naruto world is in the forefront, even if Kagome plays a very central role. I like it, solid writing and interesting.

Thanks for the reccs, people, will work my way through them.

11. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The soul stealing undead Miko is the best girl? Please.