1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Is Hermione Annoying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Conquistador, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Yes, Yes, No, No, Yes, No, No, No, No, Probably, No, Probably not, No, I sure hope so

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think Hermione has been annoying at times, but to blanket her as an annoying person in general is a bit much. I can't think of anyone I've ever met who hasn't annoyed me at one point.

I could be misremembering, but I can't think of anything Hermione did that was as annoying as Ginny taunting Ron about not having kissed a girl before - that happened right? It's been years since I've read the books.

3. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

"Hey Harry, sorry about Dumbledore and all, but I just wanted to tell you that I was right about that book."

...Explanation follows, but still. Bad way to start the conversation.

4. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    Hermione annoying qualities really showed themselves in the first book. She was a know it all, always had to be right, always needed to correct someone, and was a suck up. But that was her personality type. I know people like that in RL, JKR did that on purpose. But as she develops, she really grows out of it. Its the fourth that I feel is the real change in Hermione's character. She went from girl to young woman, trying to support and reassure Harry. Those annoying qualities were left behind. When in book 5, when she admits that harry is better at something and that he should teach the DA was another big step. Her good qualities so greatly outweigh he bad ones that I stopped noticing. The only thing now that I can questions is her taste in men. Ron......really, was Fang unavailable?

5. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This is pretty much the bottom line for both this thread and the "Is Ron an asshole" thread. They can both have their bad moments, but those tend to be the exceptions to the norm.

6. PlainBlack0

PlainBlack0 Squib

High Score:
    This is off topic, I know, but why is this worse than Ron venting his frustrations over quidditch by insulting Ginny for kissing Dean? Ginny goes overboard but I've never felt she didn't have a right to be royally pissed off.

7. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
  8. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    The movie needed some comic relief and Ron was it.

9. AlPamphilii

AlPamphilii Squib

High Score:
    I think that she has a hidden depth.
    Hermione is a child very much starved for approval, and I know from experience that dentists are almost always preoccupied with their work and don't have much time to offer to their children.
    She was bullied as a child for her bookworm tendencies and idealized the teachers as the only ones who care for her, and even that only because of her grades.

I think she subconciously tries to one-up everyone and to be always on top to prove her worth.
    There is also the fact that Harry and Ron use her for notes and homework, contributing to her low self esteem...
    She is mostly a kid with issues, and while a bit nagging isn't much worse than Ron and Harry.

10. lozzamaniac

lozzamaniac Squib

High Score:
    I don't really like Hermione and I think that's okay. She's over-bearing, controlling and rather arrogant. I don't like how she runs Harry's life for him and I think that she almost takes advantage of his abuse at the Dursley's as he won't stand up for himself.

Having said all that it's not like she doesn't have any motivations to being that character. She was also bullied when she was younger and she has a thirst for knowledge that was only ever appreciated by authority figures, which no doubt caused the way she admires them.

Do I personally view her as annoying? Sure. Does that mean she is a bad character? No. In fact it's only makes me appreciate her as a character more.

11. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

If you think Harry doesn't "stand up for himself" with Hermione (or in general), you need to do a reread. You've probably consumed way too much Harmonian drivel.

12. mort

mort Groundskeeper

If I had to pick certain traits of her that annoy me it would probably be her being bossy and dismissive. The latter especially when it comes to other people/opinions she considers uninformed or illogical. She also expresses these traits the most when she's worried or jealous.
    If you cherry pick certain moments which display this behaviour (parts from HBP and PoA, to be more specific) then, yes, you'll find her annoying- but not so as a whole, I feel.

Generally you can easily make a case for her being loyal, caring and helpful. If Ron is the kid brought up in the Wizarding world, providing an insider perspective for his friends, then Hermione is very much the Muggleborn, keeping Ron and Harry 'grounded'. In my opinion another reason why you see these traits being highlighted so much is because they are exactly what are needed to help the trio through their adventures, being qualities that Ron and Harry lack.

13. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Hermione is one of my favorite characters for the reason that Ron is one of my least favorite characters.

Loyalty.

Yes, of course she had moments where she could be annoying. No one likes being nagged or bossed around, but the fact that she did it generally because she cared is a mitigating factor.

Her sticking by Harry in 4th year, and pretty much everything about 7th year cements her as one of my favorites, and far outweighs her 1st year bossiness and 6th year shitty writing.

I guess my tl;dr is that yes she can be annoying, but not as much as these threads.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    When people talk about Hermione being annoying, they are most often referring to 1. PoA broom confiscation and 2. HBP potions book nagging.

The thing is, in both of these situations Hermione was right. In the first because the broom could very easily come from a murderer who wanted to kill Harry and it's sensible to take precautions, in the second because the purpose of potion's class isn't to brew potions but to learn. The HBP book helped Harry brew potions but he learnt nothing from it, as was seen in the antidotes class.

Personally, I am guilty of finding her annoying when really my annoyance should rest with Harry. Case in point: beginning of DH, Harry cuts himself and thinks "I should learn some healing spells". Instead of deciding to just look them up himself, he resolves to ask Hermione.

Really, Hermione's most egregious moments (post-PS, at least) are her plot device moments like "Oh yes I just summoned the books on horcruxes out of Dumbledore's office".

15. AlPamphilii

AlPamphilii Squib

High Score:
    I completely agree.
    While it's true that she comes as a bit nagging, Harry and Ron wouldn't have survived past PS without her.
    And their reliance on her is horrible.
    Suffice thinking about the great ideas Ron and Harry had without her. Like driving a flying car to Hogwarts. Or taking Divination.

16. SeekingSerenity

SeekingSerenity Third Year

High Score:
    I pray for the day the self righteous **** wither away to nothingness.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  17. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

...this embarasses me. Is that stupid thread really still going on?

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    In fairness, he learned at least enough to remember to find a bezoar when Slughorn apparently forgot their existence. Also...while I'll grant that there's clearly a lot of teaching that we don't see for one reason or another, every potions lesson that we see basically amounts to them being given a set of instructions and then brewing it. Harry's following slightly to very different instructions, but the process is still the same.

19. Plurple

Plurple Squib

High Score:
    Hermione was annoying as a character at some points in the book, but it never felt like a character defining trait and it's somewhat unfair to simply paint her character as annoying. A lot of things annoy me, but that doesn't mean that they don't all serve a purpose and Hermione's goodwill is what makes her come off as annoying and you have to weigh her intentions against her nagging. This isn't to say that just because she means well it's okay for her to be annoying, but there's a balance there and I think her character falls into it quite well.

20. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Yes.
    Seeing people spell Hermione as "Hermoine" is always annoying.

That was the question, right? :fire