1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Is Hermione Annoying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Conquistador, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I much prefer Roonil Wazlib over Hermoine, Henry/Harold and Pavrati.

As to the character, everyone has their own annoying habits, doesn't mean that's their defining characteristic. Hermione is fine in my book (unless she's secretly a pureblood or fixing the backwards wizarding world in 4 months).

2. torrent56

torrent56 Second Year

High Score:
    [FONT=&quot]Hermione can be annoying at times no doubt about that just like pretty much everyone else in the HP series. For example, the fact that she often made decision for her friends without consulting them at all beforehand would definitely annoy them. I feel Hermione really believed she may not be "good enough" to live in the wizarding world because of her Muggle heritage just like how Harry feels he might be the worst in the class until Ron reassured him. Therefore she tried to mask that insecurity by being an overachiever, this can be seen in the first scene when the Trio met on the train in PS. I suppose one could also argue that some of her actions in the later books were questionable and annoying as well though.

However, for me she had tonnes of good qualities that more than outweighed the bad. It is a personal preference how much you likes her good qualities against how much you dislike her bad ones.

Regarding Hermione [FONT=&quot]confunding[/FONT] McLaggen - While objectively not a great thing to do, we[FONT=&quot] cannot really be sure what her motivation was[FONT=&quot]. She[FONT=&quot] said it was because McLaggen [FONT=&quot]insulted Ron and Ginny which sounds like a plausible reason. [FONT=&quot]I[FONT=&quot]t[FONT=&quot] is also rather stupid to say that Ron only got on the team because of [FONT=&quot]Hermione. Ron [FONT=&quot]saved those 5 [FONT=&quot]penalties by himself didn't he? If Hermione hadn't intervened, the wo[FONT=&quot]r[FONT=&quot]st that could have been is that they TIED and [FONT=&quot]then Harry would have every right to pick Ron over McLaggen because of [FONT=&quot]their respective attitudes and team spirit[/FONT][/FONT]. McLaggen turned out to be a terrible keeper [FONT=&quot]by the way because of his [FONT=&quot]inability to work within a team so [FONT=&quot]Harry did nothing wrong at all as team captain.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

I am also amused at how some people could turn a Hermione thread into a thread to bash Ron or how he isn't good enough for Hermione. It shouldn't come as a surprise anymore I know.

Yep just as I expected you don't think Ron is "deserving" of Hermione so you goes around allocating her as a prize to someone else.
    Hmm maybe she chose Ron because he was the person that cared the most about her? Don't mention Harry who was almost always preoccupied with his own problems.

Nobody doubts Hermione's loyalty (even if she has a tendency to just try to steamroll him). As for Ron, the only scene you can give for Ron being disloyal? Don't try to count what he did in DH as disloyal unless you want to claim that having a momentary anger as disloyal? Also you do realise that Ron left his whole family behind and in grave peril to go on a useless camping trip with Harry?
    Did Ron know Harry was in danger in the Triwizard Tournament? No, because Harry was too butthurt to tell him what Dumbledore said about someone entering him to try to kill even when Ron ASKED him about it?
    How about talk about some scenes where Ron showed an excessive amount of loyalty like going to see the spiders in CoS when he didn't need to?[/FONT]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm sorry? I think we can be fairly sure what her motivation was.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Bit late, but...

He should have learnt quite a bit from the book, like crushing certain ingredients produces more juice than slicing them and that adding seemingly mundane things like spearmint can alter the taste. It still had everything else the regular text book had, it just had extra. The specifics might elude him, true. That thing from the antidotes class, I don't think half the class understood it, even though it must have been in the text book.

We all know she was frustrated at the fact that he was being praised for his skill. He had a different set of instructions but was still the one brewing the potion in the end, even if he is using techniques that seem to lower the risk of a failed product. There is a reason he got an EE in Potions, despite Snape being his Potions Professor for five years. He is actually not that bad at brewing them, even though whenever we see him in class, something is going wrong.

She thought it was unfair, though. And was it? Everyone seems to have a different opinion. And yes, she was probably a little worried for him as well. Something could go wrong, after all, using alternate instructions.

And just like we know why she was mad about the potions book, we know what her motivations were when hexing McLaggen.

Which leads into the question of the thread. Her most annoying aspect is probably how much of a hypocrite she is at times. She'll bitch and moan when Ron and Harry break the rules, but she is perfectly content to do it herself and gets angry when they mention it.

A couple of examples off the top of my head. When they brew the polyjuice potion. When they showed hesitation and questioned it, she gets annoyed. And again when she hexes McLaggen then makes a big deal of Harry 'pretending' to spike Ron's drink with lucky potion as somehow being this horribly unfair thing.

Basically, when she breaks the rules, it is fine for her, but when they do anything, she feels the need to berate them for it.

It is her worst trait, along with her narrow-minded view of certain things. Her loyalty is probably her best. When the going gets tough, she sticks it out.

But she is more than just these traits. Personally, I like her character.

5. TheBlackSwordsman

TheBlackSwordsman Squib

High Score:
    I found Hermione annoying but she also is the only one of the golden trio that actually prepares for anything. She's got flaws but still better that Ron at her worst.

6. oebalusr

oebalusr Muggle

High Score:
    i guess in a way JK make their character such. Knowing that harry didnt had any friends before, and will accept almost everyone.

7. torrent56

torrent56 Second Year

High Score:
    Hermione said McLaggen insulted Ron and Ginny and Harry doesn't want someone with a nasty temper on the team. Do you think she was lying then? She could be I guess.

By the way the idea that Harry would only accept Ron because he had no friends just makes me laugh not to mention it bashes and degrades both Harry and Ron. Just want to ask those people who are clouded by this delusion a few questions. Why didn't Harry hang around with Neville who was clearly eager to hang around with him (remember PS and PoA)? Why didn't Harry become friends with Draco Malfoy or Hermione during the train ride?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  8. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

Hermione wanted Ron to win because she likes him. That's her motivation. Insulting Ron and Ginny just seems to be what set her over the edge and made her Confund him.

9. reavn360

reavn360 Squib

She was annoying at start of the series but she grows on me and show her loyalty and courage to friends and was willing to put her life on the line for them.

10. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Is Hermione annoying? Yes.

But to be fair, the most annoying thing about her is that more often than not nobody ever calls her out on her shit. And the fault for that really belongs on everybody else.

If someone had told her she was a socially inept bitch to say 'told u so' about HBP while Harry was grieving Dumbledore's death, or the double standards regarding confundus/fake felix, or whatever - then Hermione would have been forced to react, hopefully shown some sort of apology, and then I would have found her less annoying.

Ron, for his faults, at least recognizes when he's fucked up. It might take him a while to recognize it, admit it, and actually willingly face the music. But he always ultimately does.

11. torrent56

torrent56 Second Year

High Score:
    This is basically what I meant to say as well. I'm sure everybody can agree that Hermione wanted her crush to win. I just wasn't sure what her primary motivation for confunding McLaggen: was it to get Ron onto the team or dishing out her own brand of justice (similar to how she handled Skeeter, Marietta and Umbridge but on a far lesser scale) to someone so obnoxious and conceited?

Vlad, WORD on Ron being able to recognise when he fucked up. It's not a skill many characters in HP has unfortunately.