1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ron an asshole?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jenko, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Moldy

Moldy First Year

High Score:
    This still shows his hypocrisy. He expects others to treat his sister well, but when it comes to his treatment of women, being a gentleman is apparently not something he demands from himself.

The problem with Ron is that he never outgrows his insecurities, because Rowling is not great at character development. The first book makes it clear that Ron has an inferiority complex and this doesn’t change throughout the books. Actually, had it not been for the Coursed Child and Rowling herself after the last book I would have given him the benefit of a doubt, but unfortunately for him Rowling opened her mouth* and the Coursed Child came into existence leaving no doubt that Rowling didn’t think about him successfully overcoming his issues.

*I mean the interview when she said that maybe she should make Hermione end up with Harry and then there is some stuff about Ron&Hermione needing marriage counseling and Ron needing to work on his self-esteem issues.

2. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Er, you did read what I wrote about Ron, right? Practically every instant where he's an asshole is either a very teenager thing to do (Lavender) or come from genuinely understandable circumstances (leaving in DH). And each and every time, he's the one that mans up and apologizes for his actions. How insecure of him?

And I would say over time, yeah he grows up. In CoS, for example, he follows the Spiders, his very worst fear, for no better reason than his friend, his school, and Hagrid were all in trouble and the Spiders would somehow help him out.

Or how about in DH, right before Hermione kisses him for the first time? Why did she do it? Because on his own initiative, he expresses genuine concern for the house elves and their safety. When you consider how he (and Harry, and literally everyone else) treated Hermione and SPEW, I'd say that is some pretty good character development.

And what about what we know afterwards? He's an auror, married to Hermione, has two children, and as far as we can tell is comfortably settled in life. In other words, not exactly the kind of person who still obsesses over his insecurities.

Speaking of which, what's this "Cursed Child" you're referring to? I know there's some play/glorified fanfiction with that name, but what does that have to do with Canonical Harry Potter?

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

JKR wrote it herself and says it's canon.

4. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

That's not true JKR only supervised it she didn't come up with the ideas or wrote it, but it's true that she said it was canon.

5. Moldy

Moldy First Year

High Score:
    I didn’t write that she is totally hopeless at character development, so there is some character development, but at the end of the day she is not good at it.

Yes, he is in a marriage that needs marriage counseling and he needs to work on his self-esteem. This is basically Rowling admitting that the problem is still there and that Ron didn’t outgrow his inferiority complex after all that happened to him in those seven books.

As for Cursed Child, it was written with Rowling’s consent and approval. I cannot believe that she had no say in what is there. She most probably had right to veto any idea she didn’t like.

6. Ched

Fair enough, I wasn't 100% sure on that anyway. My impression was that JKR co-authored the actual story and that the play was based on what she helped to write. Wikipedia seems to agree with assessment, but it's not always right.

Actually, Pottermore says this:
    I'm sure it was ghostwritten in large part, and she probably didn't put all that many words to paper, but her website says that it was a story by her and two other people. That's good enough for me to call her one of the authors of it.

7. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Epilogue left quite bad taste when it comes to Ron.

Plus the character turns in possessing the idiot ball.

8. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Ok, I meant that "What is Cursed Child" thing sarcastically. I know perfectly well what it is. I even read the screenplay! I was only referring to the fact it wasn't actually written by Rowling, it does certain, creative, changes to Canon, and as I understand it is only popular because it's Harry Potter and the play effects are apparently pretty impressive. I honestly think it's best to just consider it the second most popular Harry Potter Fanfiction of all time (under the actual Movies) with no real value or relevance to Canon. I should have been clearer about that, and I'm sorry.

With that said, why does the Epilogue make anyone dislike Ron that much? I certainly understand why people didn't like it (*cough*Albus Severus*cough), but what does Ron actually do that's so offensive to anyone? He married Hermione, has two kids, and cheated a little on his driving test. What specifically is there to hate about Ron in that freaking Epilogue besides him marrying Hermione?

9. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I think the more reasonable people are mostly just disappointed with how cavalier he was about confunding(?) the driving instructor.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  10. Jenko

Jenko Banned

High Score:
    Ron is always jealous of Harry. Be it his fame or money. Being jealous of guy who lost his family and has a dark lord after him makes him an asshole. I fucking hate Ron. Wish he was never a friend of Harry. Even better if Harry had killed him.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  11. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    Ron=Normal Teenager=Asshole. You can replace Ron's name with the majority of teenager out there and the equation holds true. (I am including myself when i am a teenager)

That sums it up in my book. I think characters like Harry and Neville are not normal due their tragic pasts are the exceptions

12. Blundo

Blundo Second Year

High Score:
    Especially after a recent reread, Ron is easily my favorite of the 3 main characters. While I don't dislike Harry, he manages to get on my nerves more often, and I can't stand Hermione most of the time.

Ron has his dickhead moments, but anyone who didn't as a teenager must have had almost 0 social interaction. These moments are far outweighed by the many times he's an absolutely amazing friend. I can honestly say I have never had or been a friend as good as Ron was to Harry.

People hate him because he acts like a vaguely normal human being, because bad fanon has taken root in their heads, and because the movies robbed him of many of his better moments (sometimes giving them to Hermione instead, bolstering the loathsome Hermione-can-do-no-wrong segment of the fandom).

13. coolname95

coolname95 Second Year

I always find it baffling when people say Ron's bad qualities outweigh the good.

Keep in mind, the books do skip over large sections of time when apparently nothing noteworthy happens. Presumably, during these times, Harry and Ron get along just fine. In the moments that "matter", Ron occasionally acts like a dickhead but often also with great bravery. Honestly, he throws himself in to dangerous situations to help Harry over and over again. If I consider my own likely response to situations like that with any honesty, I'd have to admit I would probably back down in nearly all of them.

I'm fairly certain I have no friends who would stand between me and a mass murderer. I'm very sure I wouldn't do this to someone else. It seems, however, that many on this forum are vastly better people than me and my friends. Perhaps that's the case -- or perhaps you're just setting an unrealistically high standard for Ron based on ideals that can't be achieved.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  14. mart3183

mart3183 Squib

Ron is a complex character with a lot of flaws, but also one of the most sincere personalities in the entire series; he acts in accordance with his opinions and feelings. However, most of all, he is just an ordinary teenager surrounded by uncommon teenagers, his best friend and love interest. One the smartest which of her age, the other the savior of the wizarding world. Now when you read the series, does Ron come of as an asshole? Hell year, but so would a whole lot of people in his place..

15. Ryriena

Ryriena Second Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I tend to agree his character seems not to be properly balanced the fourth year incident is a perfect example of his assholeness, but I would say that was mostly due to his mother influence than anything. I mean her "Molly codling" kinda of influence that side of him.

16. kira and light

Lol, when in doubt blame another Weasley. What the hell does Molly have to do with that incident.

17. Ryriena

Ryriena Second Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Her overbearing nature lead to his insecurities in the first place. I'm not solely blaming her for his actions, I just stated that it lead to his insecurities and other aspects of his personality.

But he still is to blame for his actions in fourth year.

18. Pipe1928

Pipe1928 Squib

High Score:
    Honestly, this is a POV I've never heard nor seen. And I can't help but agree. This takes place in a fantasy world and everything, but it does make sense that with having several one-dimensional characters, (read: Hermione=Books, Draco=Mean, Goyle=Dumb) the few multi-faced characters stick out like a sore thumb. Usually I dislike Ron, because of his jealousy and such, but this argument does make the most sense, because, honestly, who can say they have never been jealous of someone else. Can any member of a big family (7 children) say, honestly, that they've never felt under their brothers/sisters shadow?

19. kira and light

... no his insecuritys come from his brothers who all seem to be popular, succesful, smart and talented while he himself is quite average and feels overshadowed and worthless especially after he met Harry who is a celebrity.

Some comments like this really make me feel as if people have read a different story than me.

20. Ched

You can't blame parents for every fault their children have. What about teenagers (or young adults) who go out and murder people? Is that the fault of their parents? No - it's their choice, regardless of how their backgrounds may have influenced them.

Or as Dumbledore would say, it's your choices that determine who you are. Ron's past might somewhat determine his actions, but he's still making his own choices.

^That makes more sense, but personally...

I get that Ron has insecurities, but I don't feel they were played up in canon to nearly the point that everyone else does. I think jealously is a bigger issue than insecurity. Insecurity implies a lack of confidence that we didn't see too often in Ron - though sometimes it was there. Jealously, on the other hand, we see more often. He sees people around him with the attention he wants and doesn't have, and he's jealous.

They aren't unrelated, but I do think they're different things.

And no - Ron isn't an asshole. He's further from perfect than most characters though, and I think that's why his more normal tendencies stand out. Grab Ron and stick him into a novel by Stephen King or something and he'd probably shine as a beacon of light, goodness, and moral fortitude.