1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

Israel/Palestine Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mknote, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    Please try to stop telling other people what they're saying, because the delusional nonsense you're spouting has absolutely no relation to what anyone other than you thinks.

2. Invictus

Invictus Fourth Champion

I quoted you multiple times. Not once you proved any of your claims and promptly stopped trying to say anything a few posts again and are just insulting me. Probably because you're a coward who can't own any of your points and instead runs away, refusing to stand by anything you say.

No. Instead of an argument we get this jewel:
    Apparently Chengar is too superior to argue with me lowlife. Or to prove anything he says. Or really do anything but snipe at me and ignoring everything I say just to attack me personally.

List of fallacies engaged by Chengar as of now:
    • Ad Hominem (the crazy anti Semite label)
    • Appeal to the stone (claiming that everything I say is insane rant but not proving anything)
    • Argument from repetition (repeatedly saying that Israel situation exempts it from following the UN Charts for Human Rights without proving why. First it was because of the way Palestinians and Israeli related, but when it was pointed out that it could apply to the Japanese American and Catholic Irish it was because the first didn't commit enough crimes (and when pointed out that you could use blacks for that silence was met) and the latter didn't happen to have foreign powers invading the UK (meanwhile the fact that it's been 40 years since ant such thing happened and that Israel now had cordial relations with half the countries that invaded it also doesn't matter).
    • Onus probandi - I have to prove everything I say. But he doesn't have to prove anything. And yet despite extensive proves from me and sources, Chengar still hasn't proved ONE single thing he said.
    • Pooh pooh - the quoted phrase encapsulates that well I feel.
    • Proof by assertion - Apparently whatever Chengar says is the truth and me not recognizing that is wrong just out of principle.
    And the lovely claim that somehow that the principle of the universality of the law doesn't apply to 1-terrorists and 2-Israel because they're special cases.

3. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Given that Palestinians aren't Israeli, and that Hamas is the ruling party in Gaza, one could argue that what happens is armed conflict between two nation-states, in which case, the law of war applies.

But that would be to continue down your legalistic babble rabbit hole, when all any of us are trying to say is that the situation is unique, Israel is right to be paranoid, Palestine is right to be distrustful, and really, no one cares enough to go on and on about it. We're all exhausted and bored with your nonsense.

4. Invictus

Invictus Fourth Champion

Taken in account Hamas isn't a recognized legit party and is classified as a terrorist organization by a big part of the world, the Geneva Convention for war combatants doesn't apply to them. Israel is right in treating them as terrorist and not PoWs. Meanwhile, Palestinians do not have Israeli citizenship, proper representatives in any of the Israeli branches of governments or any benefits of citizenship really, so treating their actions as treason would be a legal aberration of the worst kind. As far as I'm aware, Israel just treats them as criminals which is fair enough, even if they have a tendency to move things to military courts when it involves soldiers in any kind whatsoever. (Normally military courts are only in extreme national security cases or when the accused is a member of the military). The recent case of Tahed Amin (?) Illustrates that.

However, Military Courts aren't per se what the French call tribunaux d'exception where many usual rights of the defendant are suppressed. Guantanamo Military Commissions are an example of that. So really, while a distortion I don't feel what they do is illegal or anything. Just... Assholish. But this is one of the things that I feel Israel is justified in using more extreme measures thanks to it's situation. It still protects basic rights, it just plays fast and loose with some guarantees people take for granted.

I only quoted the Charter of Human Rights and then mentioned one legal term. If the HR Chart is a legal babble for you, suit yourself. Shockingly, when you talk about rules of engagement, trial and human dignity/rights you have to quote some laws to be in solid ground.