1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete It’s For a Good Cause, I Swear! by Sarah1281 - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by asa, Dec 5, 2009.

1. asa

asa First Year

Title: It’s For a Good Cause, I Swear!
    Author: Sarah1281
    Rating: T
    Pairing: None?
    Chapters: 36
    Words: 120,421
    Updated: March 5, 2010
    Published: September 28, 2009
    Summary: After receiving a time travel jutsu as payment for a mission, the original four members of Team 7 each get a chance to go back to one event in their life and change it. Surely they will use such an awesome power responsibly...right? Don't count on it.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5409165/1/Its_For_a_Good_Cause_I_Swear

Yet another time-travel story, but it's not bogged down by angst and all that shit like most works in the genre. Everyone can use a humor fix once in a while, and I don't think I've read something as intelligently amusing as this gem since Reload.

I tried to rec this in another forum where it received mixed reactions, but IMO it's pretty good for an intended parody. 4.5/5 rounded up to a 5 for its fast updates, something few in the fandom can boast these days.

Checked: June 8, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012
  2. Blazing Chime

Blazing Chime Second Year

I've read the first chapter and there is just nothing that interested me. I would have rated this 2,5 rounded up to 3 but that is unfair since I just checked one chapter. I'll let others judge this one.

3. Sporangia

Sporangia First Year

The first chapter is rather meh, but it gets better. I enjoyed the humor in the other chapters quite a bit. The mockery of canon elements is great. It's similar in style to her Potter parody.

4. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

It's pretty enjoyable, but the author's a little too in love with her own running gags. Naruto's 3V1L PUPPETS 0F D00M thing wasn't funny the first time, I don't know why she thought it would be the second, third, fourth, etc.

It just tries too damn hard to be funny sometimes, which makes it feel really forced and unnatural.

4/5

5. FantasyDuck

FantasyDuck Second Year

It's a pretty good story. While the idea and premise may not be very original, the story itself is quality work. The grammar is good as far as I noticed and the story flow feels natural. The running jokes didn't bother me that much since author seemed to realise when a joke was getting old and toned it down.

Plus, I haven't read a good Naruto fanfic in a good while so pretty much anything decent goes for me right now.

4/5

6. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It does take a while to get started, but it makes for a reasonably entertaining parody nonetheless. It made me laugh and the writing solid, not much more I expect out of a humor fic.

7. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Its fun and I get a happy feeling every time I see it has updated 4/5 for me.

8. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Funny and entertaining, with a writer who has a decent grasp of the language. 4/5

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I liked it, I laughed a lot -- especially at the pedophile jokes.

Orochimaru was a bit OOC, but meh, it is a part humor fic, I can let it slide. 5/5 from me.

10. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I liked this more than her Potter fic. But like Mechanicalchrist said, some of the jokes got old, fast. Her style and potrayal of humour and parody are above average, but not that awesome. I never really laughed. Still, it was pretty okay as far as Naruto fics go.

3.5/5, rounded to 4 for rating purposes.

11. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Fun, but the jokes get old fast and the author thinks entirely too much of her own cleverness. It's decent. Nothing great, but still better than most Naruto fics.

4/5

12. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Looks like the author has posted the last chapter of the fic. The last chapter was one of the better ones in the fic, probably because it bounced around to some of the other characters in the cast instead of re-hashing the jokes that Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke had done for the last thirty chapters.

Overall, it was a good fic, but like people have said the humor was starting to get a bit stale, so it's probably good that it ended when it did.

13. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

Awesomeness

This is one of those fics I go back to pretty often. It is now completed and though the first chapter is a little dry, just trust me. It is awesome.

There is plenty of humorous scenes.

10/10 for me!

Warning: expect cliches and powerfulness and things just ending up like that. This isn't a dark butterfly-effect fic, it is just a going back and doing it after changing little things-like we all wish we could go. Try it, I insist.

...and for those that are adament about reading by pairing [like me] don't worry, there are no actual lovey-doveyness for Team 7, though it is kind of ItaHana, KakaAnko, ObiRin but no lust scenes.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I can't believe I just read this entire damn thing.

And yet, somehow, I did. Rating: 3/5 (Rounded up from 2.5? At best? Maybe?)

The start was a lot better than the finish, I think. I enjoyed the first several chapters, but my enjoyment of the story continually decreased as it went on.

More than anything I felt like it devolved from humor into crack!fic, and I'm not personally a huge fan of crack!fic.

Essentially Kakashi finds a time-travel scroll and all of Team7 decide to use it to go back in time to whatever time they choose. The story was written before canon ended, which means that some details (like Obito being Madara) weren't known, but late enough into the series that the author did know the details about Itachi.

What they didn't expect was for them all to go back in time to the same timeline, but at different points in their lives. This was amusing and worked out well for the start of the story.

Later in the story it mostly devolved into crack, as I said, with Naruto not acting much like himself at all. Sasuke and Sakura are somewhat amusing versions of their canon selves at least, but all of them began to feel very repetitive at some point.

There weren't any amazing fights. There was fighting, of course, just nothing I'd label a 'good fight scene.'

All in all I think the first 4-5 chapters are worth a read if you're bored, maybe even up to chapter 8. Chapter 9 is definitely where the quality took a sharp decrease for me.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  15. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It was amusing back then, and I remember the scene of Kakashi with the demon brothers vividly, simply because his line "Alas, I'm slain" had me laughing pretty hard for reasons I am unable to explain.

That said, yeah, 3/5 sounds about right for this.