1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Jedi Harris Series - Star Wars/BtVS/SG1 - t

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by lucis, Aug 15, 2009.

1. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Title: Jedi Harris
    Author: The Dark Scribbler
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    DLP Category: Stargate/Star Wars/Misc
    Chapters: 28
    Words: 239,128
    Updated: September 1, 2005
    Published: May 17, 2004

Pairing: N/A
    Summery: Xander goes for a rather different costume at Halloween. May the force be with him?
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1866354/1/Jedi_Harris

Title: The Terran Jedi
    Author: The Dark Scribbler
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    DLP Category: Stargate/Star Wars/Misc
    Chapters: 45
    Words: 458,186
    Updated: April 17, 2012
    Published: October 30, 2005

Pairing: N/A
    Summery: The sequel to Jedi Harris. Xander and his fellow Jedi battle on.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2640672/1/The_Terran_Jedi

Didn't know anything about BtVS or SG* before I read this and I've still enjoyed it. 5/5

Checked by Minion, Nov. 25, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I read the first one, liked it but felt like it dragged. I dropped the second one once I realized that nothing freaking happens each update. Once it's finished, I'll take a look at it again.

3/5 for the first, not rating the second.

3. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Eh, I'm actually going to refrain from giving this a rating for now. I really enjoy reading this - but the scope of the series is frustrating. Especially with all of the new Jedi that are starting to be trained.

That said - the writing is clean and entertaining (especially the Jaffa reaction to Xander). Hopefully the author will finish the story by 2012.

4. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I'm pretty new to BTVS fanfiction, read both stories with few breaks.

Doesn't start to diverge from canon quickly enough for my taste, but the season three rewrite was pretty decent.

I liked how Xander always had the ability to use The Force, Halloween only gave him the needed knowledge.

the cross-over element is quite distracting, since my only Stargate knowledge comes from Potter crosses, I think this story would have been better as a pure BTVS with Star Wars elements through Halloween memories.

I give this a 4/5.

5. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I love the series.
    5/5

tl:dr
    The Force isn't an HP-type magic that will wtfpwn the canon threats: Scribbler has been careful to keep Harris's abilities close to George Lucas's vision.

The characterizations, particularly as Kenobi's influence on Xander shifts further from canon, are wonderful. The personality of Master Harris has set an example that has everyone around him acting in more mature, responsible ways in every event.

Faith was given a great deal more support from the beginning, so her mistakes never led her into treason. Oz never left to "find himself," so Willow's darker magic use is highly limited. There is every reason to expect Joyce to survive (especially with Oz's healing skills,) so there will be far more supervision for all the younger characters. They'll avoid a lot of the teenage angst and drama that tended to irritate me during the TV show.

I *suspect* that the Force itself might have guided Rayne into his choice of pranks and costumes that Halloween. It seems unlikely to me that a brilliant and powerful new Light force would have simply appeared by pure coincidence right when the Earth is facing major threats. Between the Goa'uld and The First, not to mention Glory and the Orii, help is definitely needed.

In the most recent few chapters, we discover that an actual prophecy has validated Master Harris's bona fides with the Watcher's Council. That the Star Wars series has been so incredibly popular for so long means that nearly anyone who sees a blue lightsabre automatically feels a certain amount of trust and respect for the wielder. This gives any Jedi validation that would be extremely difficult to achieve with most entrenched authority.

6. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

I've re read it so many times that I think I'm legally obliged to give it a 5/5. Its a great crossover as well as the fic that sparked my interest in SG1 .

7. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

There's a lot of awesome in this story, but you just feel like smacking the author in the face whenever Xander has a "Boss Battle". Buffy will be on the scene, and the big bad will whip out a lightsaber, and she'll be like "Oh no, its a lightsaber, my shitty powers are useless!" And then she backs off and pretends she's a cheerleader again, and Xander runs up and lightsaber duels. I think this happened twice. Somewhat ameliorating this is the upcoming epicry of Sith Lord Lilah Morgan, and it was one of the first BtVS fics I got into, so I guess it still gets a 4/5.

8. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Updated. Apparently we can expect more frequent updates again...

9. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

Slow moving. Good otherwise.

10. frodrick

frodrick Slug Club Member

I actually don't like it. For me, the major problem with such crossovers is that the core of what made Buffy so great is often taken out in exchange for whatever new powers XYZ character has now. As Buffy said in Superstar,

"I'm the Slayer, that should count for something, right?"

2/5

11. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm about 5 chapters through the sequel, and the lack of character development really irks me in a lot of ways. If we don't get anymore plot, I can see myself really getting bored of it.

The writing is quite excellent, despite how slowly it moves however. I just wish it would hurry up and shit would happen. :/

12. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I always get this mixed up with the other Jedi Xander via Halloween fic. In that one, he went as Revan and it crosses over with X-Com later on. I remember being entertained by it, but that was many a year ago.

There's a fairly large population at TtH that has a huge boner for Xander, sometimes to the exclusion of all others. Hell, I went through that phase when I was chewing my way through Buffy fanfic before I started in on HP, but these days when I go back to my favourites, about half of them I can't stand to read.

This one I remember being entertaining enough for me to finish it, but it did drag on a fair bit.