1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Jessica Jones

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by IAmJustAnotherGuy, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Nae

Nae The Violent

Binged it. Loved it. I'd put it in the same league as Daredevil, but Daredevil is slightly better in my view because of the tone and the amazing action choreography.

David Tennant was a fantastic villain. I haven't read the comics and have no clue what Kilgrave is supposed to be like, but he sure as shit made himself scary, while at the same time, came off as sympathetic at times. The one missing point for me is that they should've explored Jessica trying to "reform" Kilgrave a bit more. I enjoyed their interactions at her childhood home a lot.

Luke - Meh. Could've been a lot better. I think his character was under-utilised.

I also found it weird that they talked about the alien invasion but given this show takes place in Hell's Kitchen, where Daredevil also lives, and besides the nurse chick mentioning him, nobody has any clue.

Also, the entire "lets lock him up and get a confession by beating the shit out of him and kidnapping a cop" plotline was...yeah.

Anyhow, 8/10 from me.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  2. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

I'm 8 episodes in and after I eat some food I'm probably going to binge watch the rest. I actually liked it more than Daredevil, which I never finished for some reason, and it's clearly superior to the DC tv shows.

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    2 episodes in and loving it. So much better than Daredevil so far, in where watching this is actually not a drag but really interesting. Still have to finish Daredevil at some point, but this takes precedence.

I think it helps here that so far, I liked every character /found them interesting, protagonists and antagonists alike, whereas in Daredevil, I really only liked the Kingpin and his number 1 henchman whereas everyone else was meh at best.

4. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So how 'adult' is this? My younger daughter is 13 and is Tennant's biggest fan ever, and is dying to see him in this. I'm trying to avoid spoiling it for myself and thus haven't read any of the details yet, but being that this is Netflix I'm assuming she may be a bit young for it?

5. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Yeah, a bit too young. It has fair amount of sex and dark themes. Rape, not shown on screen, but mentioned. Tennants character is fucked up. Theres some torture as well.

6. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Not to mention the blood and guts in a couple scenes. Definitely not a show for kids.

7. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

If anything try not to let her watch it because sher would never look at Doctor Who the same if she watched Jessica Jones(There are moments where he kind of invokes the Doctor in his acting).

Also the themes explored in the series aren't things she might be interested in that

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Plus all the sex. I mean, literally the first scene of the show is a sex scene (of sorts). No, definitely not for kids. For interest, the IMDB Parental Guide (mild spoilers in text, with more important ones in spoiler tags)

9. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Well, that's a consensus if I've ever seen one. Too bad.

10. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So overall I greatly enjoyed this, but there were numerous inconsitencies that annoyed me a bit.

I think the biggest one was Kilgraves power. We learn that it is a virus, yet it can be transported over the phone or via radio. If it is a virus, then a simple thing like wearing headphones shouldn't stop it. (Don't worry realised what happpened here.)

Not to mention the many many times he said something that could easily be taken as a command yet people didn't obey him. That suggests he could control it, which if it was the case that goes against how the show built his character.

While people say Jessica Jones plans self-destruct, a quite of few of them would of worked if it wasn't for others fucking them up. If she kept her mouth shut she would of been much more efficent.

And the whole time when Luke Cage was chasing Jessica Jones I was like just fucking jump, he can't chase you then.

Wasn't sure if Kilgraves father was under control or not, but in the end it seems he must of been. Which is another inconsitency because he clearly showed reluctance at commands, especially the hand in blender scene, but commands are suppose to fill the person with a need that the given command is what they want to do. He was either under control or one BAMF.

So yeah, overall greatly enjoyed the show. I binged it over two nights, it is one of the better ones I've seen in a while. There were just some things that annoyed me that didn't add up beyond !plotdemandsit.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  11. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

Binged between yesterday evening and all of today. Definitely enjoyed it - Tennant made my skin wriggle, and the everyday, petty-pissed-off horror of his powers are very well done, as some said, the subtler little commands, like that guy he tells to stand in front of the fence forever, are more chilling that the more obviously gruesome stuff he does.

Makes you reflect a bit, with the sheer amount of times I get annoyed by the little things people do, would I truly be a better person than he was if given his powers?

On the other hand, I wasn't too happy with how his obsession was Jessica was portrayed, it as too crippling to his efficacy as a villain, and really, anyone could've, nay, should've seen that end scene coming, and for someone with his powers he's a bit in-adept at protecting himself. A few inconsistencies in his character as well, like the part where he pays a million and half for Jess' old house when he could have just taken it, but I guess he did it out of some twisted regard for her childhood. And then there were portions where I couldn't help but like him despite the horrific things he's done, like his giddy joy at trying on the whole hero thing with Jessica and his childlike petulance. Excellent villain all in all.

Jessica was awesome, as was Luke, and the supporting actors were all pretty well done as well, except for some reason that Spec-Ops guy, who I wanted to strangle at times. I'm not as familiar with Marvel lore as I am with DC's - what's the deal with the pills.

Everything considered it was an excellent showing - 10/10 would recommend.

Off to go marathon Daredevil now.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  12. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Any issues I had were minimal at best. One of the better first seasons of any show I've seen in a very long time. Particularly was pleased with the ending, but the acting and action also worked well. Kilgrave was chilling in the right sort of way.

13. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Character's called Nuke in the comics. He's basically a failed replacement for Captain America who went psychotic villain.

14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    He was also, I believe, originally introduced in Daredevil, so could be a set up for further interaction between the series further down the line, or maybe something for the Defenders show.

15. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Just finished binge watching this yesterday or something. Great show. The extended analysis of sexual assault, agency, and all that jazz was totally wicked. Jessica made a lot of mistakes during the series, but a lot of the time it felt like they were executed in ways that were consistent with her state of mind.

My biggest issue was definitely how it closed out. I distinctly remember thinking:
    'oh fuck, it's going to end on a boat? Really?' The melee in on the dock was also a little bit of a let down. It wasn't anywhere near as horrifying as some of Kilgrave's other hold outs.

It also lost a lot of moment after episode 9 or 10. Kilgrave also didn't feel like his threat level had really increased all that much - except for briefly in the final scene.

16. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Yeah, I too felt like the ending was quite a big let down. Mostly because I never actually believe she was under his control. I always felt like that was how it was going to end.

I was pleased that he too must have realized that she'd try to fake it. Unfortunately, he underestimated her resolve to end it.

Daredevil had it's own problems. I liked Killgrave as a villain a lot more over Kingpin, which is sad because Kingpin will probably be back, where as Killgrave won't be.

Jessica also feels a little more fleshed out as a character. I'm not sure why that is, but it feels like it to me.

Very excited for Luke Cage's own show.

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I'm a little worried for it because right now it lack villain that could be compared to Kingpin and Kilgrave. That said I may be underestimating Mahershala Ali who is playing the big bad.

18. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I think I like JJ better than DD.

And that sentence sounded dirty for some reason.

19. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I'm kind of leaning that way too. Daredevil reminded me a little too much of all the other superhero shows out there with the specific bad guy that needed to be defeated that episode.

I really enjoyed the one story line in Jessica Jones. It definitely led to more character driven stuff and less filler. I doubt we'll get that next season though. But I feel like I know Jessica Jones more than Matt Murdock.

20. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Man this show was absolutely fantastic. 10/10 would watch again

I actually was pushed to finally watch daredevil after seeing JJ, solid 7/10, very enjoyable, not as good.

I'm very excited to see Luke Cage in Harlem being a "neighborhood superhero" who actually helps people in a more heroic less anti-hero/supposed villain way. Luke Cage was great in this, which makes it even cooler that Jessica was still better than him.