1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

John "TotalBiscuit" Bain has terminal cancer

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Innomine, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Agreed. Best wishes to his wife and family, I've been there a couple times and it's never fun.

I always liked his content, I'm rather sad to see him gone.

2. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Absoutely fucking sucks to see TB go. It happens to all of us eventually, but even still ... sucks ass.

Fuck cancer.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Goddamn it. I disagreed with him on a lot of things once he started raging against Trump and all things right of him, but that's politics. His gaming content and strong pro-consumer stance was always appreciated. Fucking cancer. He'll be missed.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy shit.

I've kind of moved on from the games thing, but every year or so I'd remember to google and see how he's doing. I just had the thought a couple of days ago, did a quick google, didn't find anything concrete, and saw nothing new on his channel. Forgot about it until this post.

That's tragic, RIP man.

I just went and watched a few of his recent videos, and holy shit, he does not sound well at all.

5. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been following this closely. He's one of the reasons I wanted to go into Oncology nursing specifically, and I've always been a huge fan of his. I love Starcraft, and he was an absolutely incredible influence on the game. He did so much and put so much money and effort into that game just because he loved it.

He fought this cancer so hard. I've been around a lot of cancer patients, and holy shit TotalBiscuit has got to be the most dedicated, strongest fighter I've ever seen.

They gave him two years to live and he said "fuck you" and lived for almost four. It doesn't sound like much, but it really was.

I don't know. I could go on about him for a while. I met him a couple times at Starcraft events and he was always willing to talk to anyone who just wanted to chat about video games.

Also, I kicked his ass at Hearthstone at Blizzcon and won a chance to spin the wheel for a prize. I spun that wheel... and I landed on the single dud space "Get nothing."

Totalbiscuit reached over and tipped the wheel over into the graphics card spot.

And then he signed my shirt with a special message for beating him.

[​IMG]

I'm so sad right now.

6. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

I've spent more hours of my life listening to that man's voice than I want to admit. I've never met him but I can say with absolute certainty that he will be missed just like a friend would.

Fuck cancer. Rest in peace Mr. Bain, may your frame rate forever be consistent and your menus be filled with fov sliders.

7. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

TotalBiscuit was the person that actually gave me an appreciation for the games I played.

I remember a while ago when he said he had beat the cancer, and just a few weeks ago, he was well and making videos.
    I guess that's some of that British stubbornness at play, not letting his cancer prevent him from fulfilling his role.

It's sad that nobody will ever hear anything new with his voice again. I'm just gonna watch a bunch of TB videos now.

Rest in peace, John Bain, the entire internet will miss you.

8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Found out at work today.

It made a bad day a lot worse.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

If any of you haven't seen it, it's very much worth watching. What he said during it about his struggle and what it meant to live through it... yeah it meant a lot to me.

11. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    RIP TB. He was one of the very few gaming personalities I liked. Fantastic guy. The videos of the weird games his wife made him play were utterly hilarious. His voice and personality will be missed.

12. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

I saw that post back then, and was thinking about necroing this thread at the time. Ultimately didn't because shinies distracted me. In retrospect, it's a blatant sign that things were going to end up this way in the foreseeable future. He was a workaholic; the kind that - if given a normal life - would probably drop dead within weeks of old age retirement at 75. Sadly, it wasn't to be.

Fuck. Cancer.

13. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Less than a few days without a pulse and the rats are already trying to dance on his grave and hurt a man's loved ones. God I love the internet and the ability for people to spew bile on it without repercussion.

14. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Fucking really? I wish I was surprised by that, I really do, but come the fuck on people.

15. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Even GameInformer's obituary threw shade about gamergate.

16. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

Less than a few days? Try less than a few hours - I saw tons of TB-wishing-cancer-on-someone-tweet-references on Twitter the morning after, and those were also pretty prevalent on Reddit if you dug a bit deeper into the threads. Yes, he said it, yes, he apologised, and while it's definitely not nice, it's human. Most of the people referencing that particular tweet - and by most I mean probably 98 % - are probably arguing like Sartre's eponymous antisemite, so I'm going to be blunt and say their opinions are not exactly worth the bits they take up on the Twitter and Reddit servers.

As for the, I think, (ex) Bioware employee(s) that tweeted out something, well, they're going to find out that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. People take a rather dim (often too dim imo) view of anything negative about the dead.

It's also the only obituary on gaming websites that actually references GG (that I found, checked the usual lot), which would probably have annoyed TB. He was not one to want shit obscured and/or whitewashed. The former was a fair bit of his point for siding with the movement, for crying out loud.

17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A former BW employee said something generally really horrible on Twitter because TB criticized games that person had worked on. Reactions resulted in Casey Hudson issuing an apology. BW should really take care who they work with cause they're one flop away from the tried and true EA treatment. Shit like this isn't endearing anyone to Anthem.

Game journos didn't wait a day to bring up Gamergate in TB-related articles. Four years on they still haven't caught on that no one gives a shit what triggers them and they can't stand that people like TB are where people go for gaming news and content now.

18. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This whole thing is so depressing - I haven't played games in a number of years now, but back when I was pretty devoted to SC2 TB was one of the guys I listened to all the time. Fucking sad as hell.

Yeah. Wish I was surprised. Goddamn.