1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Journey of the Dragonfly by narco-duck - T - Worm

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jarik, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Title: Journey of the Dragonfly
    Author: narco-duck
    Rating: T (no rating given by author)
    Genre: Action
    Fandom: Worm
    Summary: Taylor and Lung and Team Fan Favorites delved deep into Cauldron's tomb to uncover its secrets in the midst of Gold Morning. After their confrontation with Scion, they find themselves in Brockton Bay during the 'bad old days' with an entirely new future ahead of them. It goes as well as expected.
    Link: SpaceBattles

Journey of the Firefly is a high action, energetic time travel fic that sees Taylor, Lung and the others that were with her when they went to Cauldron's base go back to the Marquis era of Brockton Bay.

Rather than being a straight up fix it fic (which just doesn't work in Worm), it's about a focused Taylor who has just seen the end of the world and has now replaced Tattletale with Lung as the person she bounces her plans off trying to fix the past.

The whole fic is a bit like a Michael Bay movie, made up of high energy, epic scenes and speeches that actually do a good job of not falling flat or sounding like they try too hard (see Copacetic). It avoids feeling too cheap, because as Taylor's development is generally portrayed as negative - a descent into becoming a monster (particularly as the only person she seems to get along with is Lung).

While it's not full of complex plot or characters, it still is one of my favourite fics in the fandom and does exactly what it sets out to do. 4/5.

2. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Might as well put the pairing as Taylor / Lung. :p

It also crosses over with the Incredibles and Static Shock.

This fic has ambition, but shoddy writing and plot decisions hold it back. Characters talk in grand sweeping statements that don't suit them and everyone is slightly out of character. Taylor's character development is treated by other characters as negative, but in the narrative, it's like she's portrayed at being right in regards to her decisions, even if her personality took a turn. It's been a while since I've read this, but that's the feeling I got. The characters from the Incredibles and Static Shock are jarring and out of place, and it'd be better if they were replaced with OCs. The plot runs on coincidence to the point of breaking my suspension of disbelief on how these things could happen.

There are good points to this fic. It's an honest to god AU of Worm, not a crossover or alt power, but an actual AU. It's sad on how few of these exist. This is also the first serious Taylor / Lung story I've seen. A lot of people would see this as a bad thing, but this pairing is amusing and fun. I like her teaming up with Lung and I got enjoyment out of that if nothing else.

Due to its major flaws, it's a 3/5. It's complete though, so at least try it out.

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I didn't finish this story, after a while, I just lost interest.

There was stuff that I liked, I do not know Static Shock however, I am fond of the Incredibles and I quite liked it when characters from there showed up. Granted, it is a bit weird and I can understand why to some, that might be jarring, but honestly, there is not enough Incredibles stuff out there, so I was glad they appeared here.

The circumstances were nice, but, overall, I wasn't fond of the interaction Taylor had with her friends. I get why Tattletale wasn't there but I sorely missed her in this, as part of the Undersiders core block. And to be honest, Theo annoyed me in this.

I don't remember it all that well, it just didn't grab me.