1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

July Theme and Judge Sign Up

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Antivash, Jul 1, 2011.

1. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm cool with it- as if I recall right you won for your Politics entry back in January, so you can definitely do the entry-theme justice.

edit: Just read it, Perspicacity. Good stuff.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    If anyone is interested and wants something to read in the interim, I posted mine to my anthology on fanfiction.net. (I think I'll just withdraw from the July thing and will look forward to the September thing instead. This should free up time for the judges to read the other stories).

Edit (since I'm getting messages on this): I withdrew not to dis DLP, but because there's a good chance I may have to leave on travel for a couple weeks (I'm still waiting on approval--should find out in the next day or so) and if I do go, I probably won't have a chance to post this for a couple of weeks. I like getting all my stories submitted/posted before leaving, if only to avoid the chaos of trying to return and remember what I was up to.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

In order to get things going, I randomised a set of judges and will PM them in a moment. The wish for actual reviews along with score numbers has been noted. August theme coming up.

4. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

For the August writing deadline, are we talking the thirty-first, as usual? Or is the delayed release of the theme being taken into account?

5. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Not to beat a dead horse, but finally. Another seven days for them per the usual period to judge and will you be accepting Sesc's late-entry due to the lateness/reselecting of the judges?

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Since there was no further response, I submitted mine. I'm partial to Pers' idea of not being eligible to win; and Silens deserves to win for slaving to reach the deadline alone, probably. However, the idea was specifically for the contest, and I wouldn't have written it otherwise, so I kinda think it belongs there. If it doesn't work out, I'll simply put it up in WBA later.

7. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I know this is beating a dead (or at least severely beaten) horse a bit, but... what's going on in regards to the July contest? Even if the entries never get judged, will they be posted? Hardly seems fair to the people that put the time in to write things that their stories are effectively being held hostage.

Bad analogy perhaps, but whatever. Point stands. I'm slowly working on an entry for the August/September contest, but after looking at the mess that was July...

8. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's been recent activity in the subforum - 4 new posts. One for each story? Hopefully we'll get them soon.

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Indeed.

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showpost.php?p=483121&postcount=54

There are 5 ratings for each story now, even if one of the guys isn't an actual judge. I guess we are all just waiting for mods to do something, either give their ratings or just release the stories already. I don't get why that is so hard, it only takes 2 hours to read them all and they've been up there for 6 weeks or more, or just click a few buttons so everyone can see them.

10. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    That reminds me. I think we asked some time back for the judges commentary to remain with the users themselves who commented being omitted, so we could have an idea of why the ratings fell as they did and such, and IIRC World said Maybe leaning toward yeah.

Given the general level of... disinterest there has been in anything regarding the contest lately, I doubt that would be implemented this time and might not next, but would it be possible for you or another judge to copy/paste that stuff to a file or something and post it up after the fact? It definitely helped back in March when I could still view my thread and therefore got a proper critique on what worked and what needed improvement, and would be definitely appreciated this time around.

11. Anarchy

I don't know how it was handled previously. In the old contests, we just see Xiph0 giving the final score followed by the rest of DLP giving their own reviews. I don't know if previous judges just left numbers or actually explained why they gave them. In the July Contest, the judges all explained their reasoning behind their scores, and again, I don't know if that was done previously. I do know know when I submitted my two contest entries, I think the feedback left in the thread was from random DLPers unless it was the judges posting what they thought of the story after it became public.

12. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I judged the April contest, and I can confirm my thoughts on it were deleted when it went public.

13. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Same as iLost, only for February's Dark Arts entries, so it's good to get confirmation on July. Thanks.

14. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

All analogies about being unable to organise a fuck in a brothel aside, this is pretty embarrassing for DLP as a whole, the supposed last bastion of decent HP fic, made up of supposedly non-stupid people who apparently, on this occasion, just couldn't give a fuck.

To think that the contest, in its original form, was actually a pretty good idea.

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Or simply were busy. It'll be there when it's there. No use in getting agitated over it.

16. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Oh, how true. And to think it was irritating when we had to wait an additional ten days in April for results :facepalm

On another note: I still think the contests are a great idea. I don't want to see them cancelled(which could happen, given our level of bitchiness regarding things lately), but you guys not only dropped the ball you more or less threw it down a ravine and went on your merry way so far.

I fully intend to submit an entry for A+S once I get past the intros of the first year(hovering around 12-13k words at the moment, oi), and will contribute something for October and November(derp, forgot the eleventh month earlier) and December as well if we get to that point.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What gets me about it, is the fact that there hasn't actually been any response as to why exactly this is happening.

I mean, in the end it's not something I care that much about, but I would be interested in knowing just WHY it is taking so long.

18. Anarchy

I asked around on irc yesterday, and none of the mods know what the hell is going on either.

19. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Perhaps everyone thinks that they are just waiting on someone else...

20. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Can we just appoint an interested member to take charge of the contests from now on? They can get the necessary moderator powers to do so.

This way we'll know exactly whose in charge and things should be running much more smoothly.