1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Just Cause 3

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Moridin, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So Just Cause 3 was released.

It's been a bit rocky, with a lot of people reporting major bugs and FPS issues, but I've been having a blast so far. It's taken everything that made Just Cause 2 great and just amped it up. There are some issues with the game, loading screens, the incessant login attempts if you lose connection to Avalanche servers, but for the most part it's just pure chaotic fun.

I'm midway through the second island, though I've made a foray into the main island to unlock the Fire Leech. Mostly I've just been flying around enjoying the wingsuit and liberating any settlements I come across, and for the last couple of hours I've been trying to complete as many of the challenges as I can (except the boat and plane races, because I don't care about those).

2. White

White Muggle

Are you playing on pc or a console?

3. Moridin

Pc, a fairly low end laptop.

4. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

What's your thoughts in comparison to GTA V in terms of story and character? I know JC3 won't have any mini games like GTA but I'm curious as to what they stack up against each other like.

5. Moridin

I haven't played GTA V, so I can't make an exact comparison, but story is not what JC3 is about. It's your standard B action movie plot, evil dictator takes over island nation and lone hero comes in to blow shit up - you know, Just Cause. The voice acting is better than in the previous iteration (although I thought the bad VA was intentional and part of the charm, REAPAHS) and there are definitely some funny moments, but ultimately the plot is window dressing for the sandbox.

This isn't the serious storytelling of GTA nor the ridiculous awesome of Saint's Row - all the craziness in this game is player created.

A brief look at the wiki tells me that GTA minigames are something that's not included here, no. Ultimately, this game is fairly focused towards helping the player blow shit up in cool ways, and while there are a lot of fun and awesome ways to do that, there's not much else outside of it (well, things like exploring in the wingsuit can be fun, but it's not the focus).

6. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Realtalk, if you're playing GTAV or Just Cause 3 because of minigames, you've made some pretty shitty life choices.

7. Tikigod784

Tikigod784 Second Year

The challenge missions (skydiving through rings, race challenges, gun ranges) are pretty difficult and require you to get a handle on the controls. Pretty rewarding when you get 5 stars/gears though imo.

Overall the game doesn't have polished vehicle controls like GTAV, but then the main draw is to remain outside your vehicle for the most part.

Bike controls are actively painful though. I swear only GTA does motorcycles right...