1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Justice League

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Saw it last night, and went expecting to be really disappointed with it.

Whilst it's not as good as it could have been, I didn't actually dislike the film. Lots of minor niggles, but nothing absolutely major - mother boxes being legendary artifacts, only a single Apokoliptian (and one mention of Darkseid), Superman and smelling nice, and so on.

However, my main problem was that the characters didn't really differentiate based on powers.
    Superman was as fast as the Flash, and better because he can fly and is strong.
    Wonder Woman is faster than human (the sword grab, and so on), and also is strong, but fights with magic weapons.
    Aquaman is really strong, and a Rick and Morty fan, and has a quintent.
    Cyborg could fly, and is also strong.

Now, Cyborg can do tech things (better than Batman, because apparently being part computer allows you to make a troop carrier fly faster than it should), which shows itself off a few times in the film, and he is a key component in actually solving the issue, so he gets a pass. And Aquaman gets one scene where his water powers come in vaguely useful... But it felt like the majority of the cast were just flying bricks, or a DnD group where the players didn't talk things through in CharGen.

Flash is faster than Superman. Speedsters are the fastest thing, unless they're running for Charity.
    Make Cyborg's computerness a bigger deal. Show us on-screen that he can push tech beyond limits - get a SMARTcar up to 100 in 3 seconds, or call someone on a blender, or something.
    Give Aquaman more than snark - maybe actually have fish be useful? Or just drop him for Martian Manhunter, and focus more on the telepathy/shapeshifting.

Also, I felt the low&from behind shots of Wonder Woman were a bit excessive. I get it, Gadot's an attractive woman, and I don't mind staring at her.
    But jesus, it felt like we had too much footage of her legs.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finally got around to seeing JL last night.

It was... okay? Yeah.... it was okay.

I'd say the best parts all involved Flash and all the worst parts involved Superman (surprise). Also, Steppenwolf was legitimately an awful choice for a first team up antagonist. Obviously can't do Darkseid, because where do you go from there besides lulzy choices like Mr. Mxyzpltk or the Anti-Monitor, but there are numerous others that could have worked. Braniac would have been great. Or Vandal Savage.

I didn't have much problem with the lingering Wonder Woman booty shots, because there was even more ladyboner rippling muscle torso-service to even it out.

Sey
  3. wrestlingfan1

wrestlingfan1 First Year

i saw Justice League it was a pretty good movie,could of used a different villain like Braniac or any number of villains.

4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, making Steppenwolf the Big Bad was just a very strange choice. I get the reasoning behind picking one of Darkseid's minions if you want to build up to Darkseid himself, but Steppenwolf has close to zero name recognition. Granny Goodness or Kalibak would've worked a lot better just in terms of making casual fans go "Oh, I know who that is!"

And that's without touching on whether it's a good idea to spend your entire first justice league movie on setting up a future movie. Especially when now it's not clear if that followup will even get made.

5. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

Speaking for casual fans everywhere, I have no idea who any of those are.

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can you imagine the internet mockery of a name like 'Granny Goodness' on top of the reactions to JL? At least Steppenwolf sounds beastly.

7. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Okay, maybe it's just me who knows/likes those characters.

8. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    To be honest, I'm more familiar with Granny Goodness than Steppenwolf... And it really confused me, because Steppenwolf is a band. And the thought that the Justice League would need to be assembled to fight off a Canadian band from the 60/70s was a bit odd.