1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Link Knight Harry by PeaceThroughSuperiorFirepower - T (One-Shot Harry Potter Crossover)

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by nonjon, Feb 11, 2009.

1. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Title: Knight Harry
    Author: PeaceThroughSuperiorFirepower
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Supernatural
    Pairing: Harry Potter/Alicia Carpenter (but barely worth mentioning)
    Summary: Dumbledore was right. The Power Voldemort Knew Not was Love. Just not love as the Headmaster thought it to be. Xover with Dresden Files. Oneshot.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4832979/1/Knight_Harry

This is just an 11K word one-shot that sometimes reads more like a long summary than anything else. It's probably more Harry Potter than Dresden Files, but I thought it might get lost on the HP side of DLP. Certainly not epic or really even great, but considering how few HP/Dresden crosses there are, I found it a very enjoyable read.

The ending's a bit abrupt but overall, I like the premise behind the story. The author's note at the start admits this "is something that may or may not end up as a full length story somewhere down the track." I think it'd work much better as longer chaptered fic, but seeing as how that may never happen, I think this is still worth a read.

4/5 for me, but it's not like there's a lot of competition in the Dresden or HP/Dresden genre.

Checked by Minion, January 5, 2013
    Dead link is dead. If you know where to find another copy of the story, please inform the library staff.

Checked by Dark Syaoran, June 4, 2014.
    Moved to Recycle Bin because of the dead link. If another copy of the story is found, please inform the library staff so it may be updated and returned to the correct forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  2. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I liked it. I wish it hadn't ended where it did, but still it was an excellent one-shot.

4/5

3. artenry

artenry Guest

Agreed - the ending was a little abrupt, but the pace of the story and character interactions were interesting.

4/5.

4. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

It's alright. The whole thing seemed a little standard with Dresden thrown in the mix. The whole betrayal theme got old a long time ago.

Still, not to many obvious errors. 3/5

5. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

4/5

I actually liked where it ended. None of that crappy epilogue stuff where he goes off and builds a magical castle, or whatever else the author cooks up. It was an interesting place to end it.

Didn't like the will reading or the betrayal parts though, they're a bit old.

6. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

I wasn't a huge fan of this story. Standard Betrayed!Harry moves away to train story. The whole Dresden part felt tacked on and wasn't fleshed out nearly enough. Like nonjon said it's basically a summary. It needed more time and descriptive words. Maybe throw in the battle against Deidre.

Point for making Flitwick part goblin. Point for Dresden. Point for decent grammar. 3/5

7. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I disagree, I don't think he was betrayed at all.

As for the story, I liked it very much, though I don't see much love there. Point for way to kill Voldemort, point for good enough grammar and spelling, point for... whatever,

4/5 from me.

8. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Something new for the Dresden Library is always nice. It could stand some expansion, but I usually say that about all the fics I enjoy. Good spelling, good grammer, nice... well, everything.

4/5.

Also, is it just me, or does the Dresden Fandom attract a higher quality of authors?

9. No Earthly Clue

No Earthly Clue Third Year DLP Supporter

Good read, only wished it was a bit more flushed out. Or maybe doing something after Voldermort, with Harry being a knight. 4/5

10. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    God, that ending killed me. It was like "Awesome! Now how does all of this get wrapped up? ... Oh."

11. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Yeah ending kinda blows but i'd still say keep it

4/5

12. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

The beginning betrayal by Dumbledore and Remus (wtf?) is painful to read through, along with the knowledge that Andromeda is the most powerful witch in 300 years and Filius takes care of everything at school (that's a mouthful). It seems unlikely that Hermione and Ron would leave him after so many years of hijinks. This is all within a few lines of course. I'm not sure whether brevity is the good or bad thing going for this story, but it's what defines it for sure.

Why does the Wizengamot demand he return when the prophecy is a secret?

"It’s been three of the happiest years of my life. A soft smile touches my face as I think of Alicia. Our relationship is…turbulent, there’s no other word for it. We’ve both dated other people since that first date but we keep coming back to each other.

I think I love her.
    Remus, Ron and Hermione give me flat stares. I want to shudder at the look Ginny gives me. It’s pure lust. I make a mental note not to eat or drink anything she gives me."

Those three years just up and went like my patience. Too much telling. Especially with minute romance it's kind of nauseating.

This fits the bare minimum requirements of a piece of writing where Harry is alienated, disappears to train, and then reappears with the ending. I can't even excuse the cliche beginning (which I don't mind with other stories) because there's hardly any middle.

At least there are no English issues? This story feels like it was rushed to get through it, like a last minute school project or something. I would rate higher something that looked a bit garbled but didn't have this feel. 2/5.

Clarify: Drawing together Amoracchius and the Power That He Knows Not is a wonderful idea, and if were in the plot ideas thread, I would give it a thumbs up. Also if the author were here asking for critique, I would be more encouraging, but he is not, and plainly something so barebones shouldn't be posted as a story.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  13. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

It's a mediocre story and shouldn't be admitted in just because it isn't common.

The first half sounds like a typical Indie!Harry story while the second half is, as nonjon said, a summary.

I give it a 2.5/5.

14. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Was it Warlocke's(?) Inverse law of rarity? The rarer something this, the more slack you're willing to cut it iirc.

I'd say it was a decent story, a bit short on the desden side, as was advertised in the first post. Details are slim, but the concept is there, but I think the author was a little hesitant to put any specifics in, on the chance that they were wrong about something.

All in all, 3/5