1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Koudoukou: Fool's Gold by Akraa - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by yojorocks, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I could be wrong here, but I think only one Kage is a canon desk abuser and that's the holy Raikage.

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Too much steroids, imo.

he mad

he beefin'

3. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

These arguments are trying to make are retarded. So what if he acts like a ninja? If he gets his shit packed in harder than in the manga while acting like a "real ninja," he is obviously an even worse ninja than he is in canon.

If you hate Naruto (the character) I guess you will enjoy this fic. He's weaker, he's dumber, and despite the author trying to make it seem like he's a "real ninja" he ends up worse off.

Fuck this fic.

-Graham's Number/5

4. Apothem

Apothem Third Year

The sad thing is, the writing isn't terrible. The reasoning behind Naruto being -so- underpowered is absolute rubbish, as is the constant mention of how poor his chakra control is in comparison to Sasuke. Naruto learns how to enhance his muscles with Chakra, learns refines his chakra control to the point where he's capable of things Sakura isn't yet, and he's still worse at control than them?

He increases his level of proficiency with Taijutsu, then he still gets beaten by Sakura, on her SUPERIOR PHYSICAL STRENGTH AND SPEED alone. That's ridiculous, especially when he uses his amazing endurance to wait for her to tire. He doesn't even have his near endless stamina, tiring from simple training exercises with 10-ish clones.

There is a ton of ridiculous shit in this fiction, as the author seems to take sexual satisfaction from handicapping Naruto. However, it grows better as the fic progresses. I'm going to keep reading for now, in the hopes that the author lets Naruto get stronger.

I'll give it a very tentative 3.5/5.

5. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

I think ya'all are just harpin too much on this fic for not having Naruto gain power quickly.

Considering, y'know, training a ninja is actually supposed to take TIME.

6. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

It isn't the training that is pissing people off, though traning fics in general are bad. But what really, gets us is the fact that Naruto is made far, and I mean fucking far weaker from canon Naruto. I do not expect him to suddenly best Sasuke in taijutsu back then, but when it comes to Sakura, Naruto would have wiped the floor with her.

So no, this still gets a 1/5, if only because you can't rate it lower.

7. KafkaExMachina

KafkaExMachina Second Year

...wow, are people reading the same fic I am, or did people get stuck on a single event\statement and completely miss the underlying tone and ideas of the story.

I'll admit I'm a bit surprised by the almost Uchiha-fangirl level of Naruto-worship I'm seeing in this thread (complete with 'but but but <insert character name here> pwns everything!'). Perhaps there's a bit of cultural misunderstanding? In my opinion, Naruto fills the classic Manga archetype of 'Brash Youth'. The best summary of 'Brash Youth' is an ADHD idiot-savant with a heart of gold. I'll admit it's not my favorite - the 'idiot male lead' gets old fast. I prefer Ichigo from Bleach.

Back to the story:

From Fool's Gold

Is this the bit that's got everybody in a tizzy? The words that came out of Sakura's mouth? You know, the same Sakura who is utterly delusional about her own abilities (i.e.: that she has any?). Or maybe it's the fact that Naruto calls himself an idiot? Yeah, he's got some issues - go figure. He's twelve and spent his life being ignored/insulted. If you don't like that kind of story and would rather read NarutoxHarem Bleach Crossovers where he is a super genius and can single-handedly pwn the Kyuubi at age six (super-magic-sword optional), more power to you. Don't trash somebody who's writing something with a different theme. Just say '2/5 - spelling/grammar are average, but I wouldn't suggest it because of angst.'

I give the fic a 4/5 (personal) and a 3/5 (DLP). 3/5 is because I figure that some people on this thread prefer the deeply humanistic writings of John Ringo, and I wouldn't want to burden them with excess emotional content.

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

It surprises you that on a site called Dark Lord POTTER the majority of people tend to prefer the main character of a series? Honestly, you're not making any friends by stereotyping and collectively trolling people. I have issues with this story's Naruto, and I certainly don't enjoy reading crappy Super!Naruto Bleach Crossover blah blah blah garbage. I doubt anyone else here does either. I don't think anybody (aside from maybe Howdy) will try to argue that Naruto is the sharpest tool in the shed, as he clearly isn't in canon. No issue with him being a moron, or even with him acknowledging it. However, he is nowhere near this worthless at any point in the manga. The idea that he, the hero, would be bested in a straight fight by Sakura (who in Part I is the sheer definition of 'worthless') leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The hero gets his ass kicked on a regular basis by the girl whose sole contribution to every major battle before the timeskip is standing like a scared doe on the sidelines with a kunai? Sorry, no. I have no interest in reading about someone that pathetic.

Read that quote again. "PHYSICALLY I can still beat him in a strict fight." That is what the majority of the complaints are about. As I recall from what I read of this story, that isn't just Sakura making a sad attempt at pretending she has even the slightest bit of skill. It happens in the story, often.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  9. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

Skimming through it.

Sakura was never physically stronger or faster for that matter than Naruto. There is a bigger quote where Kakashi say's Sakura is physically stronger.

10. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Hey now, I don't think I've ever said that Naruto is particularly bright. I tend to ignore the manga instances when he says things like a no shit retard ("omg you ate too much Kurenai!") because no one is that oblivious.

Kid has his moments though, and I don't think an author needs to point out how stupid he is in every other paragraph since Kishimoto doesn't even do that. He uses Naruto as comic relief at times, but Naruto does say some pretty profound shit at times.

I have said that he is a ninja genius though - a person gifted in the ninja arts. Take that as you like.

To be honest, the biggest problem with this fic is that it's rolling back Naruto's power to an absurd extent. It's like he had all of the characters graduate the academy at age 10 and we're stuck with three years of Naruto training to get to where he is at age 12-and-change when the manga actually begins.

It's filler, and it sort of pisses me off, because you just know that this author is going to eventually make Naruto into some sort of amazing, well-rounded champ who's trained under every master in Konoha. It'll only take 300k words to get there.

11. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

He actually said that? Loooooooool...

12. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/406/13/

No one is that stupid.

No one.

It's a poor attempt at humor, and frankly I found it out of place considering the circumstances. Then again, I've said before that Kishimoto is an artist pretending to be an author, so there you go.

It wasn't funny.

13. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

If fat chicks can be mistaken as being pregnant than pregnant chicks can be mistaken as being fat.

But yeah was not funny.

14. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

I've got this one in my favourite's lists. The thing you have to remember this that as much as this story does have it's sucky moments (and there a lot of moments where even I cringe), it's still a helluva lot better than the other 95% of Naruto fanfics.

I don't know whether it's because this story is just that little bit better or everything else just sucks that bad.

For me, it's a 3/5. It's an acceptable story that I can stomach to read when I'm bored. If my standards were a little bit higher, I'd probably drop this story as well as twenty others- and I'll be bored as hell.

15. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Oh come on, this is funny. It completely ruins all of those 12-year-old-Naruto-has-a-romantic-relationship stories. Naruto probably knows about as much about the opposite sex as a 3 year old.

16. redshell

redshell Order Member

Okay, seeing some of the profound hate against this fic and ridiculous arguments for (See: Slasheh's posts about Naruto not being a real-world ninja.) I'm gonna give it a pass. Excerpts and posts about this fic's sheer stupidity has caused me to give it a profound pass. It's highly likely that Academy Naruto would wipe the floor with 99% of his classmates. Sasuke is better because he trained his emo ass off, and despite the fact that Hinata would destroy both of them, she's a meek little wallflower with daddy issues. Anyway, like LT2K said, Sakura's a piece of shit in Arc 1, making NO contribution other than the starring role in Naruto's wet dreams. Her parents are CIVILIANS for fuck's sake! Slasheh's utter bollocks arguments about the Academy are just that, utter bollocks. He CAN'T perform Bunshin No Jutsu, he overloads the technique. Chakra Control and just about everything else is shit because, frankly, nobody gave much of a shit about the demon boy. Of the four who did, two were ninja, and one was the Hokage. He's not going to clear his schedule to help one person. Next is Iruka, and frankly, Naruto's a stubborn dumbass and wanted to do it alone. Also, failing 3 times is attributed to the above reasons, plus the fact that Iruka wasn't his teacher until the fourth go-around. Also, Naruto is the same age as the kids he graduates with, meaning that he IS a prodigy if he was in the Academy at age 8. On a much less related note, to stop reading because your favorite character died is idiocy, plain and simple.

Looking back, I'm seeing news of improvement, but to insinuate that Worthless Incarnate is better than the protagonist is blasphemy on the level of saying that Ickiraku's is bad for you. (lol did you see what i did thar?)

17. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Ahh you bastards made me think this fic was updated.