1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Less Than Zero by Kenchi618 - M - DC Superheroes

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by DerHesse, Oct 2, 2014.

1. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

Title: Less Than Zero
    Author: Kenchi618
    Rating: Mature
    Genre: Action
    Published: May 20, 2014
    Updated: Apr 10, 2016
    Chapters: 18 - Words: 223,204
    Fandom: DC Superheroes
    Pairings: OC/still unclear (99% female)
    Summary: It's one thing to enter the world of heroes and villains, it's another thing entirely to find your way back out again. That's a bitter truth to swallow when you want no part of the life to begin with. A hasty decision from a young man with his back against the wall sends him down a path of which there is no return. OC main character.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10362076/1/Less-Than-Zero

At first the OC badge and my little knowledge of the fandom kept me wary, but because of the quality (and quantity) I quickly started to enjoy it. I have to admit, that the DC Wikia is my constant companion, but I can get over that. The protagonist is actually relatable even likable and the other characters are, as far as I can tell, spot on.

Most people will be familiar with Kenchi's writing given Great Clan Days, so give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2016
  2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

You think Great Clan Days is what he's most known for? Lol.

If this is like any other Kenchi fic, it'll start off good then get boring and tedious after about 100k words.

3. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

So yeah, I've been reading this because I'm a big fan of the first couple hundred thousand words of anything Kenchi writes.

One of the things I really like about this is that it's about an OC which helps me, as someone who doesn't particularly follow comics, understand and keep up with the story more because the author doesn't just assume that I know everything about the main character.

That said, I do know everything about the main character. Because it's Gray Fox. Kenchi pretty much just straight ripped the cyborg ninja out of metal gear and shoved him into DC- which I have no real problem with. Besides, the personality of Kenchi's OC is significantly different from Gray Fox's so there's that. I guarantee that he'll be getting a high-frequency blade at some point though.

4. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

While we're reccing kenichi fics do you think it's time we put his bio up for review? It's got a solid 80,000 words or so in there with enough plot to keep people interested.

5. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I actually looked through it. He wrote a bit of it, and the rest is quotes and Man Law. You wanna review Man Law?

6. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

I know nothing about DC, other than the characters important enough to have movies made about them.

I'm interested so far. There are a few plot points that leave me with questions, but it's early enough that they could be easily explained somehow.

The main character unfortunately isn't the brightest bulb in the bunch, but he feels fairly realistic.

4/5 so far, with the potential to go either up or way down.

7. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

8. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Hopefully, he's not going for the harem route. I feel the vibes already from Kara, Batgirl and Ravager.

9. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

That's pretty normal for a Kenichi618 story. No guarantees that it will happen, but those vibes are present in a lot of his stories.

10. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

That's what rubbed me the wrong way, too. Apart from the Ravager interactions, which I enjoy, the others feel too smooth, too perfect for an Average Joe, who the protagonist is supposed to be.

11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I doubt it'll get to outright harem, having multiple love interests is fine as long as they aren't aware of each other. Batgirl see's him as an oddity, Supergirl sees him as a curiosity and Ravager sees him as ..whatever. They aren't obsessing over the same thing, which most 'harem fics' have a problem with, always having the girls tout the protagonists good bits.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Update!
    >220k words in and I'm still really enjoying it. Thanks to Jon for setting me onto it around Chapter 16 or so.

My rating for it would be a 4.5/5, though I'm not sure if I'd round up or down. I think Kenchi is doing a better job in this story, with a mostly original character and plotline, than he does in a lot of his other fanfiction.

DC might not be an original universe, and he might make use of a lot of canon DC characters, but as far as I know Null is an original character. He's got neat abilities that aren't OP but are badass enough. He's not a bad guy and he's not a good guy. He commits crimes but tries not to get anyone hurt. He doesn't like being chased by the cops or heroes but respects what they do and sees it as important. He interacts with heroes, villains, and everything in between. He doesn't spend too much of his time dicking about with school, but enough time is devoted to it that we don't feel he's existing outside of a normal teenagers life.

It's a good story. I heartily recommend it to anyone who knows the barest basics of the DCverse. In short, if you know the following characters/places, at least in broad strokes/concepts without detail, then you're good to go: Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Gotham, Catwoman, Superman, Lex Luthor.

Fun times.

13. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

I hadn't realized this fic was getting any love at all and I'm glad it is. I've long since given up reccing new Kenchi stuff here no matter how much I like it so thanks for that.

It's been great from start to finish for me and I could list a lot of things but the one I think would make the most impact is admitting that I've been able to go back and re-read this story and not get burnt out on it. I really can't say that about his old stuff.

Anyway if you like DC and are ok with the inner monologue that comes with the DC universe I think you'll enjoy this.

14. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just read all of what's out of this fic (ch 18) in a fit of boredom.

It's pretty decent. Not great - the harem vibes are a turn-off, and the prose is workmanlike and kind of choppy. The banter could use work, too.
    I guess there are no glaring flaws, but on the other hand I can't quite pin down anything it does especially well.

If I had to grade it I'd say it's definite 3.5/5 to 4/5 material - good, but nothing exceptional. I'll be following it to see where it goes.

15. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    This is actually my favourite work from Kenchi. He moves from strength to strength, characterisations are enjoyable and lead to some great dialogue, world building is excellent. Kenchi really has a strong understanding of the DC Universe and how all the characters interrelate.

Null's progression as a character has been utterly enthralling to witness unfold. From his personality and motivations to the steady development of his powers. He has a really awesome skill set that isn't OP and has been developing realistically. At first Null would try to catch bullets with his magnetic powers but couldn't because they were moving to fast (and wound up shot), now he has figured out how to create small magnetic fields that can halt bullets. He's discovering his powers by himself and doesn't have anyone to teach him, so it's quite exciting to see him unveil them in the heat of the moment. Kenchi really has been masterful in his execution of this story.

People have been complaining about harem vibes, but at the moment it's merely multiple potential love interests. It's only now after 19 chapters that one of the love interests have eventuated to something more than sexual tension. There is so far three different girls he could pursue, I don't understand the complaints about what may potentially, but probably won't, happen. I flirt with more than three girls in my life, doesn't mean I'm about to start a harem any time soon. Not grounds in my opinion to lower the score.

Max is a great character. He strikes this lovely middle ground between the heroes and villains. He doesn't want to cause anyone harm but he won't necessarily go out of his way to help random people who wouldn't reciprocate the sentiment. He's a realistic and charismatic teenager. Add in Kenchi's humour and you've got an entertaining character to put it mildly.

I believe this to be a great story, the culmination of Kenchi's experience as a writer that deserves to be read.

16. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

The harem vibes are likely due to Kenchi's writing tendencies applied as a filter to the story. By itself it wouldn't be anything, but given his past stories ... eh.

That said, it never really bothered me. This is probably one of my favorite works of his. It's always an enjoyable update, even if he's slowed down now that he's got a job.

17. invinoveri

invinoveri Third Year

I agree this is by far Kenchi's best work. There's a kind of corniness to his other stuff that this story avoids.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  18. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I think what makes this more enjoyable is that it is an original character, he writes a certain main character archetype and it can rub us the wrong way when it is applied to an established character , but works fine when it is an OC.

19. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

He also writes all his characters with modern tones and mannerisms. Naruto or whatever anime character usually sounds like a modern american teenager instead of from whatever anime they're from.

20. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

So this updated recently. Im still a big fan, and I'd rank it probably as my favorite Kenchi fic- but im not sure how I feel about the most recent chapter.

so they know Max is Null. And Max knows that Barbara is Batgirl and has seen Tim's face even if he has no idea who that is. And it's not really treated as that big of a deal. I don't know, I might have to reread it and see if on a second go around I have more of an idea what's going on.