1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Write a Fic Together

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by lucis, Oct 24, 2009.

1. RJL333

RJL333 Third Year

Minor Inconsistency

I noticed two authors saying different things about the same things. The first is Water Mage with;

The first bold section seems to suggest that it is the Summer power responsible for the strength but the second suggests that it is the body.

The second is this from Shezza;

This one says that the body is as weak as a teenage girl.

If it was the summer fire that was behind the power it would make sense, since magic and technology are incompatible, but WM second paragraph states it is the body. It's not that big of a deal but I thought I would point it out so that it could be fixed early incase something big happens that depends on Dresden's strength if he had no access to summer fire.

2. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Faerie power doesn't intervene with technology. Or at least not to the degree that human magic does. There has been instances of faeries throwing their power around without any adverse effect on nearby electronics.

But you are right, that is a contradiction. The easiest explanation would be that the super strength was caused by instinctive usage of summer fire and Harry simply hasn't mastered the ability yet.

3. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This thing is kicking my ass. I've started and stopped three times with it, in between having fifty RL things jump up and steal my time.

I'm gonna keep working, because I suspect that no one wants to pick this up during the holiday week, but if you do, feel free to jump in, and I'll take the spot after you.

4. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I'm cool with waiting on you. Take your time.

5. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So. uh. Update?

6. Nuhuh

So. uh. How about you learn to read?

Wait, why don't I help you? Look below.

Also, it's kinda amusing that you're hounding Big_D, when you were happy bandwagoning him telling Lucis to cool his jets on updates.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  7. Vir

High Score:
    Well, a 24 hour limit is a bit crazy. But it's been three days. You know, maybe one of those "Still here guys, just workin' on it some more." would be cool. Just to see if he's alive.

8. Nuhuh

I guess now you're just insisting on being obtuse. W/e.

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Dude...

Do I need to send you to the timeout corner without din-dins? :p

10. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

It's also worth noting something I only recently realised: Big D probably has the hardest scene to date or at the very least one of the hardest.

Normally, Maeve is hard to write. Maeve in this scenario...

11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Maeve's easy to write. Just add spice to a half litre of vodka. Top it off with shaved jelly beans and voila, Maeve.

12. Big D on a Diet

Okay, I suck, but this is sincerely the first time all week I've had a chance to sit down and write anything. My plan is to spend all Sunday on this, and hopefully have something ready in the next twenty four hours.

Nuhuh has been willing to give me so much time because we've discussed what I plan to do next and we both think it's pretty exciting. Hopefully I won't disappoint.

13. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

If Nuhuh thinks it's exciting, it probably is. Looking forward to the update.

14. Vir

High Score:
    Awesome update Big_D. :D

15. Nuhuh

And this is why patience pays off. Being consistent pays off too but that is a different lesson.

@Big_D: Really well done, you executed that idea very nicely. Maeve was so very Maeve. And there was something probably unintentional in there that made me lulz: the 'betraying bray.' :)

Him getting his body back, after you wrote the 'Maeve perv on his Auror body' scene, made me sad. That said, in this writer line-up you're the best at kink, so it's probably a good thing that you wrote that part and shelved further such encounters.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  16. Big D on a Diet

My intention was that he would have the ability to shift back to "Aurora" at will, or rather that the female body was his natural form, and he would have the ability to shift into almost anyone, but I felt like I had already gone into enough detail.

This is one of those I really don't feel like I got quite right. With the RL distractions I was never really able to get into a creative groove. I'm being completely honest when I said I didn't reread it before I posted, and the last bit with the Eldest Gruff was almost entirely stream of consciousness.

Hell, I even forgot that Bob was in Harry's head for most of it (the line where I have him retreat into Harry's head out of fear was inserted long after I had already written that bit), and that was my addition.

As always, I enjoy the ego boost, but as usual, I'm convinced it could have been far better. Thanks.

17. Nuhuh

I think I like the idea of Aurora body being his default body, and Dresden body requiring transformation. Beyond needing some editing the piece is just fine.

18. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

I really enjoyed the update. This will even the odds a little bit. Not enough to compensate for having a second Queen trying to kill him, though. Such is Harry's life.

As for the Denarians... Further involvement from them has a lot of potential. It will draw in the Knights. The Shroud might be involved. They'll porbably try to recruit Harry.

As I was reading it, something occured to me: Harry has the potential to be really dangerous to Mab as well. If he became the Summer Queen and had Free Will... Mab would initially have the advantage because of the debt and greater experience but in the long run...

Queue:
    Vesvius
    LittleChicago
    Virail
    Water Mage
    Lucis
    Aekiel
    Big D on a Diet

19. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Since I'm over my illnesses and have a metric ton of free time to waste I could take the next go, unless Vesvius wants it as the queue says.

20. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Harry could be a real threat to Mab but it's highly unlikely. According to Jim even the Wild Hunt led by Thorned Namshiel, the Erlking and a bunch of Outsiders wouldn't do her in. Let me find the quote....