1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Likely Impact of Fantastic Beasts on Harry Potter Fanfiction?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nerdman3000, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

I noticed there was a similar topic made for Cursed Child when it came out, so I've made one for Fantastic Beasts. Basically I'm asking is what do you guys think is going to be the likeliest and biggest impacts of the film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on Fanfiction? I mean I can certainly see some fanfiction featuring Newt ending up with some Self-Insert OC's, and I can also probably see Newt showing up in some Harry Potter stories, particurally as a 'mentor' or something of that vein in some of those godawful 'Indy-Harry' fanfics.

What I'm most interested to see whether or not the film will finally kill off that stupid fanfic trope that likes to establish that America is a Magical Utopia compared to Magical Britain. :facepalm

The sad thing is that I can already see them that stupid trope possibly surviving, with fanfic writers probably giving us some bullshit excuse why MACUSA suddenly turned into a nonsensical Utopia sometime in the sixty years between the film and the HP books.

Anyways, what do you think is the likely impact the film will have on Fanfiction?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

I imagine we'll get a bunch of fics with Obscuro protagonists, maybe an Obscuro!Harry.

3. Redsayn

Redsayn Slug Club Member

:sherlock: There will definitely be some positive impacts- for instance, there's probably going to be some good fics explaining elements such as the obscurous and a few enjoyable stories developing Newt and the other characters, but most will probably be terrible. Then there's going to be some turning Lena (?) Lestrange into a Mary Sue. Then there's going to be the ones that turn Dumbledore/Grindelwald into the next Harry/Draco or Newt/Grindelwald into the next Harry/Voldemort:mad::mad::mad:
    In short, fanfiction will carry on as normal: being the fanbase's wretched hive of scum and villainy. I'm just hoping that this will inspire some more good Grindelwald-Dumbledore fics! :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  4. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Like with all Potter movies, Fantastic Beasts will bring in more people to write fanfiction and the already-large HP category on FF.net will expand even further.

We are about enter a Second Potter Fic Age.

My body is ready.

5. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

So while I was browsing the HP fanfiction archive at Fanfiction.Net, and was looking at stories that had Newt in order see, as Xandrel put it, the rise of the Second Potter Fic Age, and went past the early Newt/Tina fics, I noticed a fanfic which made me realize one new type of fic there are probably going to be getting a lot more of: Harry/Newt. :facepalm :headshot:

I'm not even shitting you. I don't even know how this can even be a pairing, but yeah folks, apparently its one now. At this rate, we might even get Harry/Queenie at some point too...

Sigh...

6. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's adorable how you say "might" and not "will".

7. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

I'd love to see fics take aspects of the new worldbuilding, specifically the beasts. Of course, they had already been described in the book itself but they are now more, let's say, mainstream.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fic idea, more a one-shot or first chapter than a full story:

Luna married Rolf Scamander. Harry would likely attend her wedding. Presuming they're still alive, Newt and Tina, and perhaps Queenie too, would also be there. Perfect vehicle for Harry to come into contact with the FB cast.

It could just be a fun little one shot showing their interactions, or it could be the launching pad for a greater plot.

9. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Make Harry Potter Fanfiction Great Again!

10. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

But it was never great in the first place.

11. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry/Queenie is OTP.

While watching the film the first thing that jumped out to me about fanfiction was Queenie's natural Legilimency being like a metamorphosis. Now I'm sure that other natural adepts will start popping up. Someone immune to and who can control fire for example. Extremely rare but out there.

12. Astaphta

Astaphta First Year DLP Supporter

To me the film's most relevant impact may not be only in its actual plot, but especially in the emphasis placed on magizoology, which has always been an important part of the HP world without being its central focus. I feel that this may spur a new interest in building stories around magizoology, maybe with Newt Scamander adventures or, who knows, a new career path for Harry Potter himself? Overall I'd expect a deepening of this aspect of the magical world in fanon.

13. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    We'll finally get the Hagrid fic we deserve

14. Haze

Haze Second Year

Harry trains a herd of Nundu's and sics them on Voldemort. More plausible than the power of love.

15. -V-

-V- Muggle

Oh, I feel like it will have a positive impact. As others have stated, more fanfiction. More fanfiction means more stories for me to read, to enjoy. Pairings to explore, or an Obscuro!Harry, which is pretty cool. Although, I have to admit, I'm not exactly looking forward to some pairings...

16. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Everybody here forgot about the most important matter - Fantastic Beasts will bring super trunks in fics to a whole new level. Just wait.

17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just checked ao3.org out of interest - of the 155 stories in the FBAWTFT category, 43 are tagged 'Credence/Graves'. Colour me shocked.

18. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Huh...I actually wasn't expecting that to be a thing. I suppose I shouldn't really be surprised though.

19. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I expect a couple things. First is that because of who is playing Grindelwald we are going to see a rise in fics focusing on him ( most will be slash, of course).

Also, the Obscuro thing is definitely going to be tied to magical cores. Trunks with eco systems built in will see a resurgence. It's gonna be 2005 all over again except more Grindelwald will be involved.

20. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

New creatures and concepts will become fodder for the usual Harry-era stories.

And there will be more slash.
    An absolute assload of new slash fics.

Of course the pun was intended, what's the matter with you?